Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Giving Thanks To You On My Five Year Anniversary (Please Read)


Dearest Readers: This is a long one, but it's important for me to publish this so I hope that you'll take a moment to read it (there's something very special at the end that I hope will make it worth your while).

Last weekend marked the five year anniversary of Nouveau Cheap. In many ways, I can't believe how quickly five years have flown by when it comes to this blog, but in other ways it feels like a lifetime since my life "pre-blog." Over the past five years, I have "met" men and women from around the globe here, and I'm proud to say that you all are now my friends. I never anticipated how writing this blog could change my life, but it truly has. What started as a little hobby has blossomed over the years into an undying passion. I continue to wake up every day excited to write my blog posts and interact with you, learn from you, bond with you, and praise you for your kindness and generosity. YOU and YOU ALONE are the reason this blog has lasted five years, and I never forget that.

There are so many wonderful beauty blogs out there and this is just my little corner of the blogosphere, but I like to think that the community that has formed so organically here is unlike any other. I believe that it's primarily composed of people who don't have a lot of money to spend on beauty products (myself included--that's why I started the blog in the first place!) and in that common bond, I have found that, many times, it's the people who have the least to give who give the most. In other words, I know that so many of us are struggling to make ends meet, so it means that much more to me that you would be so generous here, in so many ways. The gestures I see here on a daily basis often bring me to tears, in a good way. In the best way.

I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologize to anyone who has ever had an email, comment or social media message left unanswered by me in the course of these five years. Interacting with you is my priority and I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me if you have ever taken time out of your busy day to contact me, and  you did not receive a response. I am so incredibly sorry, and I hope you can understand that I try my best, but sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day to respond in the way that I would WANT to respond (with care and detail--I hate writing short responses). Again, I am so very sorry.

Over the years, I have heard from readers who have confided in me that they use my blog as a form of escape when things in real life become unbearable. I'm humbled and honored that I can provide you that form of escape when you need it the most, and I want you to know that you give that back to me, when I need it the most. This has never been a one-way relationship for me, and I understand and honor the fact that I am only as good as you enable me to be here. If no one were reading this blog, if no one were commenting and sharing information here, I would have nothing, and I know this. This is exactly why, when I thought about my five year anniversary, I wanted to give back to YOU.

I know that a lot of bloggers host celebratory giveaways in honor of their blogging milestones, and that is AWESOME. But when thinking of how to give back to you, given the unique community we have here, I wanted to do something a bit more meaningful to me personally, and something a bit more lasting.

HERE'S THE SPECIAL PART:

Do you remember on January 29th when I posted this special edition of the Wednesday Question? You might recall that I begged you to answer that question, and some of you may have asked, "Why is she wanting to know this so badly?" Well there was a method to my madness!

A few years ago, I used to do a regular series of interviews here on the blog with longtime readers called "Reader Spotlight". I want to bring that series back in the future, but until then, in honor of my five year anniversary, I am doing a SPECIAL READER INTERVIEW SERIES that will be published right here on the blog.

I have randomly selected fifteen comments from this post and I'm going to interview each of the readers who left those comments here on the blog. I was going to select five readers (one for each year this blog has been in existence) but that seemed too small a number, so that's why I'm doing fifteen.

BELOW IS THE LIST OF READERS WHO WERE RANDOMLY SELECTED (and by "random" I mean I printed out each comment, put them all in a hat and had the boyfriend draw fifteen strips of paper from the hat).

I have included the date/time stamp info so that you can be 100% sure of who I'm referencing (if you share a name with any of the readers below, check the time stamp on this post to confirm if this is you!):

Agata (commented on January 30th at 8:54PM)
Tamera Oldfield (commented on January 29th at 5:07PM)
Goliath1367 (commented on January 29th at 2:46PM)
Kathryn (commented on January 30th at 6:07PM)
Lindy Casteel (commented on January 29th, 8:27PM)
Yanny (commented on January 29th at 10:00PM)
Andrew Alexander (commented on January 30th at 8:43AM)
Diane Krny (commented on January 29th at 1:49PM)
Phoebe Moon (commented January 29th at 9:29PM)
Mrs. B (commented on January 29th at 8:00PM)
Jammies (commented on January 29th at 1:36PM)
Julia Popp (commented on January 30th at 5:39AM)
Molly (commented on January 29th at 1:46PM)
Lynn (commented on January 30th at 4:47PM)
Kemc914 (commented on January 30th at 9:55AM)

If you are listed above, please email me at nouveaucheap(at)gmail(dot)com ASAP. I'll go over the details of the interview with you, and give you the special interview questions. Please note that you do not have to submit a photo of yourself or provide any information that will identify you, if that is a concern. You can share a photo of your makeup stash, your pet, or anything else you'd like to share in place of a personal photo. And you do not have to use your real name in the interview--your screen name is perfectly acceptable!

PLEASE READ: I will post the interviews in the order that your responses are received. If I don't hear back from any of the readers above within a week's time of this post (by midnight Pacific on March 11th), I'll randomly select alternate readers to interview and I will post a list of those alternate readers here on the blog at that time. These special interviews will run here over the course of the next few weeks, so please be on the lookout for them!

UPDATE: Per the terms listed above, the following readers did not respond by the deadline of Midnight Pacific on March 11th):

Tamera Oldfield (commented on January 29th at 5:07PM)
Goliath1367 (commented on January 29th at 2:46PM)
Lindy Casteel (commented on January 29th, 8:27PM)
Andrew Alexander (commented on January 30th at 8:43AM)
Diane Krny (commented on January 29th at 1:49PM)

Julia Popp (commented on January 30th at 5:39AM)

I have just selected six new readers at random to participate in this interview series and those readers are:

Saturday Stevens (commented on January 30th at 5:16PM)
LiAnn (commented on January 29th at 1:34PM)
Amy Yelton (commented on January 30th at 9:27AM)
sacgirl (commented on January 30th at 11:27PM)
Miranda Turner (commented on January 29th at 8:29PM)
palette_obsession_701 (commented on January 30th at 6:20AM)

As per the last time:  If I don't hear back from any of the readers above within a week's time of this post (by midnight Pacific on March 21st), I'll randomly select alternate readers to interview and I will post a list of those alternate readers here on the blog at that time.

Thanks again to each and every one of you for your love and support over the past five years. I can't do this without you, and I am forever in your debt.

All of my love,
G. xo
SHARE:

66 comments

  1. Awwww congrats on 5 years babe. I really enjoy reading your posts and tweets. So glad to have met you via social media. What would we do w/o your awesome posts on beauty products! Keep doing what you do best bc we love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only started reading your blog this year, but I am completely addicted. It's a staple that stays up on my desktop and I seem to hit refresh every time I sit down, just to make sure I'm as up to date as possible. I read quite a few beauty blogs and a few savings/coupon blogs, but Nouveau Cheap is unique in its ability to help me afford my makeup passion. Thank you so much for your dedication and congratulations on five years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool and it also shows you care about your readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOO COOL G! (bummer I missed out out on the interview thing) I am always amazed at how much you post and share. Do you have a "day job"? Cause if you do, I have no idea how you still do all of this. Some of my most favorite, reliable, and just awesome cosmetics I have picked up just because of what you've had to say. Take massive amounts of pride in your very own hashtag coined by @TraceyLovesLacquer #ItsAllGsFault. haha. And we all love you dearly for it. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've said in the past, you are a goddess among women! THANK YOU for the dedication and work you put into this blog, G! You are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to answer that one since I've been so busy lately, but I promise that I meant to! I've been reading this blog religiously for over a year now (actually I wasted some valuable homework time trying to find out exactly when I started reading, but I would have to scroll through too many pages.. Dang!). You have fueled my addiction to cheap beauty products, provided invaluable reviews and swatches, saved me money on high-end products, and provided hours of distraction from school work ;)

    Thank you for everything you do for us! Congrats on five years, and may you have many many more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so exciting. I already felt like I was part of a community on this blog, and now even more so. My GLAM PUSS handle was made just so I could comment here. I lurked until it nearly killed me. Looking forward to reading the interviews and all the comments. You guys are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More...

      I wish I was with you from the start instead of 6 months or so. But now I'm here every day, multiple times a day.

      Here's wishing you many more years of fabulous blogging. No one compares to you. You are by far my favorite blogger. Love ya!

      Delete
  8. I'm so grateful I came across your blog when I did. It's been SUCH a joy to read and a thrill to contribute photos or news from time to time! It's also been nice to know I'm not the only beauty lover who enjoys finding a bargain or tracking down the latest collection. I love the great reviews, and the impressive amount of updates you post! You're a force of nature! Thank you so much for all the HARD WORK and DEDICATION!!!

    (Sidenote: my nearest Rite Aid literally just put out the full Julie G Gumdrop collection from Christmas--- which I never did see around the holidays, so I bought several today. So weird!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on this milestone! It blows my mind that I've been reading your blog for five years. It's been a joy to watch your blog grow over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool way to celebrate 5 years... This is much more meaningful than the run-of-the-mill giveaway, and we all get to win this way! While I'm not one of the 15, I look forward to hearing from the people who were selected, because we are a community and I love that you're giving readers a spotlight.

    Thank you for your dedication to this blog. I have a makeup stash that is probably 1000% bigger than before I started reading your blog, and as vain as it can be it really makes me happy. I love reading your deal tips and scoring a great product for pennies with combined sales and coupons that make cashiers think there was a mistake! I've even jotted your blog address on receipt paper to help out a few fellow makeup junkie girls at the register who had no idea how how I was able to score so much for so little... "Nouveau Cheap, darling!" I'd say, "go check her out, she's awesome."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your 5 year blogaversary!!! In a sea of beauty blogs you have made a name for yourself and very deservedly so! (Yours is the ONLY one I read!) Much love! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. G, when I think of where I was and what I was doing 5 years ago, your blog was definitely part of my day. In fact, my first crazed drugstore hunt was as the result of your post about the W&W polish collection which included Tangled in my Web! :-D

    Happy anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats G!
    Thank you for all you do, on your blog! Your blog is my "Go To"
    before I make a beauty purchase. It is much appreciated.
    Even though I don't know you in person, you come across as a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy happy Anniversary to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!!! You and your blog are amazing! Sometimes evil because I spend way more then I should, but who can resist a good deal!? Haha. Thank you for an awesome blog! I look forward to reading the interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your anniversary, G! Big hugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love you, G! Your blog is amazing, and it really has helped so many people. There is nothing better than to live your life with passion!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your first 5 years! Everyday for the last 5 years I have read your blog and it is best part of my day. I purposely don't read alot of other beauty blogs. They all pale in comparison. You write so eloquently! How often do you sit back and contemplate what you have created!? Someday I would like to interview YOU! That would by my first question and my second would be how did you feel when you posted your first post? I am going to stop rambling and say thank you for 5 fun informative years!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly said, Robin... Listen to her, G! She speaks (writes?) for us all =)

      Delete
  19. Congratulations on your five year anniversary! That's so cool. I actually lurked for quite some time before I started posting recently. I wanted to start contributing to a blog that's really brought me a lot of happiness. You've provided all of us beauty-loving girls on a budget with valuable information for a long time now and you're super nice while you're at it. Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Anniversary! You blog accompanies me on many a shopping trip, and because of you, I buy too many things! BUT--those things bring me happiness, so I thank you for all of the timely and efficient work you do :) You're the best of the best and I'm happy I've gotten to "cyber know" you over the last 5 years. Love and hugs across the miles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love you SOOO much, G! I feel like I know you like a best friend- you make me so happy, and that's really saying something because I haven't "connected" with any other bloggers that I've seen, and you are the only one I keep up with. You are THE BEST, girl, and I hope yo keep shining in your blissful grandeur for years to come! (20-year anniversary, anyone? =))

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful idea! Can't wait to read everyones interveiw! I don't really comment much, but I wanted you to know I have been a follower of yours for a very long time and I truly appreciate all the hard work you put into your blog for your readers! Congrats on 5 years..here's to another 5 ... *cheers*

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats G! You are doing a wonderfully amazing job and I enjoy your blog very much! I don't read any other bloggers and I get excited when I come to your blog and I see you have posted something new! I would like to say thank you for all your had work you do on here! Congrats again :)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohh I'm so excited you picked me to be interviewed. I feel really special. Thank you and congrats on 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so excited that you picked me for the interview. I'm going to send you an email in a moment. Thank you for your awesome blog and great reviews. Congrats on 5 years of the blog and I am hoping for many many more!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have a fabulous blog, and I'm part of the Refresh, Refresh!!! crew. Congrats on 5 years and may this always bring you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on 5 years! This blog is my go to for all drugstore beauty info! All I have to do is type an "n" in my browser on my phone and nouveau cheap comes up first! You and your blog is invaluable to me! Thank you God for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here (just type "n"). Sometimes I don't even have to put in the n, it just comes up as first choice since I frequent this page so often. Happy 5, G.!!!!! xoxo

      Delete
  28. Awww, I feel so honored! You're like a celebrity to me! We all love your blog. And I love all the 80s references!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on 5 years! I just found your blog a couple of months ago and I enjoy your posts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. G you are so sweet :) I love you and your blog so much :) It really does mean a lot when you get back to me with responses, so I SO appreciate you taking the time out of YOUR busy day to reply. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a cute idea! I love your blog so much <3 Congrats on five years of sharing amazing deals with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOOHOO! CONGRATULATIONS G! I think you might remember me...I'm pretty sure I was the first reader interview! lol Yup, I'm still here reading too even though I don't comment much anymore. It's been a fantastic 5 years and here's to many more! WE LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats!! I can't believe it!! You will always be my favorite blog to read!! Great job!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  34. A huge congrats on 5 years! I have been watching your membership grow each week and see you are honing in on 8K. I remember when you were just about to break 5K and I was so happy for you!

    Here's to many more years of joy with your hobby.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! 5 years is SUCH a long time! Congrats! I do have to say I check your blog a few times a week. I love finding deals or sighting from your blog. I can't wait to read all the readers interviews since I am such a nosy person!

    Congrats for making it for 5 years and hoping you blog for many more years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations on your 5th anniversary! I am very new to your blog, just a few months. I have been enjoying learning from reading your posts. Actually, I check your posts daily and I have learnt how and when and where to shop for the best deals in makeup by reading about them first from your blog. That's an amazing feat! More power to you! Looking forward to many more years reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a meaningful way to celebrate 5 years! Thank you and wishing you another 5 awesome years! And the another 5 and another 5 and another...

    ReplyDelete
  38. I look forward to your email every day, and congratulate you on 5 years. It's wonderful to find a community of budget-conscious beauty addicts like me! Keep up the terrific work!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congrats G !!! I love your blog and the wealth of info on it. This is the only way I can keep up with all the new releases. I really enjoy that you interact with us. YOU'RE AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  40. CONGRATS G !!!!!! You're an amazing blogger and a wealth of knowledge girl. Here's to alot more years!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Congrats on reaching such a big milestone! I love your blog not only because you always provide great content, but also because it really shows how much you appreciate your readers. This is the most thoughtful thank you I have come across. Can't wait to read the interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congrats G on your 5 year anniversary! This is the very first beauty blog that I ever followed and THE one that I rely on and must read every day. It's so great to have a blog that alerts us to so many great deals and reviews DS products not not just the high end ones. I appreciate all the time and detail you put into this. We <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congratulations. I love your blog. I check it out every day. You have such great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm pretty sure blogger ate my last comment! :( Anyway, I just wanted to say I love you, I love your blog and thanks to your hard work bringing us the best and latest beauty news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Congratulations! You're awesome! Cheers to many more years in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Happy Anniversary G! You are truly one of my favorite bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Happy Bloggerversary! I enjoy reading your thoughts and shopping is a whole lot more fun with your helpful insights

    ReplyDelete
  48. Congrats on 5 years and such a nice way to celebrate. I always look forward to your posts each day and can't wait to read the interviews :-)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Happy 5th anniversary G! Thanks so much for all your hard work and savings! I really enjoy reading every day.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh, no! It ate my post. Just wanted to say that your blog really helped me when I first moved to Imperial Beach. I was newly married, new baby, and recently unemployed. Your blog was a bright spot and I loved walking to the Palm Avenue CVS to look for your sales! I also loved NouveauSweet and reading about sales, tools, and food from the Japanese Market and 99 Ranch! Ahh, the memories. I no longer live in CA and don't live within walking distance to any drugstores, but I still follow this page!

    ReplyDelete
  51. What a wonderful way to celebrate! Congratulations! Well deserved, G.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Congrats on your Blog-aversary!!! Five years!!! Wishing for many more of my favorite blog. Cannot miss a single post :) So glad and honored to be among those fifteen picked to be interviewed :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Congrats on 5 years! I've been a lurker on your site for about a year and while I read many beauty blogs, yours is the only one that I'm obsessed with, constantly check, and find incredibly helpful. There are so many more people out there, like myself, who use your blog as a weekly or even daily reference for excellent ds deals and new beauty innovations in the industry. I refresh your web page more times in a day than I'd like to admit! Thanks for the time and effort you put into these posts. I am sure that you will have a loyal readership for as long as you post. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Awwww...that was so nice! I'm a newbie who enjoys your blog very much and I make sure to check it daily. Congrats on your anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. What a nice post, and what a neat idea! CoNgRaTs, G!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Congratulations! I love your blog and all thr happiness and awesome deals that come with it :) I enjoy your blog because you're relatable and easy going! And I am most definitely trying to get great makeup deals while on a budget :) thank you for all that you do, and here is to many more years!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I love your blog! You're so relatable and down to earth. I love how you help us all get amazing deals for great products while on a budget :) thank you for all that you do! Here's to many more years!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Congrats! What an awesome way to celebrate! Here's to many more years!

    ReplyDelete
  59. You are so sweet and down to earth. There are tons of blogs out there but I like your attitude so much better than all of them. Congrats on five years! I know how much work it is to blog only once or twice a week, I don't know how you keep on doing it day after day but I am so grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Congrats on 5 years... Very cool idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig