Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Review & Swatches: Rimmel 60 Seconds Nail Polishes in Magic Stardust and Mintilicious

The newly-relaunched Rimmel 60 Seconds nail polish line debuted at the beginning of 2013 with a display that looks like this. I say this is a newly-relaunched line because I'm sure a lot of you remember the original 60 Second polishes from back in the day with bottles that looked like this.

Anyway, I have yet to spot these in a permanent display in my area (only this type of counter display) BUT, the other new Rimmel polish line, Salon Pro, is now in the permanent display at many CVS locations. You can see my review of one of the Salon Pro polishes here (I love it).

So let's take a look at the two 60 Seconds shades I purchased at Kmart a while back:

Rimmel 60 Seconds Nail Polishes in Magic Stardust and Mintilicious
(retail: around $2.50 each, 0.27 oz)


These bottles are small--they're not as small as minis but 0.27 oz feels like a deluxe mini to me. That's great if you can get them for $1.99 or so in your area but they were closer to $3 in my area, so definitely look around before you buy.


Swatches:

Mintilicious
Three coats, no top coat

This polish was difficult. I'm used to difficult pastel cremes, but this one was thick yet streaky, and it actually dried so quickly it was difficult to get a nice, even coat (look closely at my pic above and you can tell). While I was painting my nail, the first brush stroke was dry before I finished painting the entire nail, and it was just an overall frustrating experience.

On the plus side, this polish dries QUICKLY and it dries to a very shiny finish. It's s a beautiful color but it's definitely similar to China Glaze For Audrey, Wet n Wild I Need A Refresh-Mint, etc. etc.

Macro shot of Magic Stardust 

One coat of Magic Stardust over Mintilicious
no top coat


Magic Stardust is very similar to NYC Starry Silver Glitter and Sally Hansen Ice Queen (which are pretty much identical--click here to see a comparison). It would not surprise me one bit if Rimmel Magic Stardust was indeed identical to the NYC and Sally Hansen shades, since Coty owns all three brands. I couldn't locate my bottle of Starry Silver Glitter to do a swatch comparison, but let me tell you that I don't remember ever having any issues with that NYC shade.

But Magic Stardust, on the other hand, refused to dry. It applied very easily, which was great, but it never dried  A full 24 hours after application, I could lightly press my nail against this polish and leave a large, noticeable mark. In fact, after a day of wearing the combo above, I took my finger and wiped across one of my nails with a fair amount of pressure and the entire top layer just smeared right off.

This polish did dry on the surface, but it just never dried all the way through. Of course I didn't try using a quick-dry top coat because the name of this line is 60 Seconds, so I wanted to test the claim. I would imagine that Seche Vite or another good quick-dry might be able to help get the bottom layer dry, but why bother when NYC Starry Silver Glitter is only $0.99 and doesn't come with this issue?

FINAL VERDICT: Sadly, neither shade that I purchased from the new Rimmel 60 Seconds line worked for me. In fact, they were both extremely frustrating to use in their own way. I know that a lot of you like the new 60 Seconds polishes, so I would be open to trying another shade in the future, but let's just say that I'm not off to a good start with these. On the other hand, I ADORE the polish I reviewed from the new Rimmel Salon Pro line, and those are a better value since you get more product for about the same price.

Do you own any of the new Rimmel 60 Seconds polishes? If so, I would absolutely LOVE to hear from you. Which shades do you own, and how are they working for you?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. I'm honestly surprise that you have problems with Rimmel 60 seconds polishes as I absolutely adore them! Hopefully it's problems with just these 2 shades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a difficult time with Mintilicious too, I felt like it was so thick! It was difficult to layer, I'll be staying away from the line for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sage green one and the nude one. We have a permanent display in Walmart where they're $1.50

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Mintlicious and the color is so gorgeous that I thought it was worth the picky-ness of it! Too bad about Magic Stardust though

    ReplyDelete
  5. The price is good -- I've seen these for under $2 -- but since I have colors that are similar to everything in this line, I'm passing for now. The Salon Pro ones are awesome, though. I picked up Punk Rock and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the black one, and I was unimpressed. It wasn't too bad to work with, but it took two or three coats to be fully opaque and streakless. I can tell you that multiple coats is not something I am looking for a in a 60 second polish. I'd rather pay $5 for SH Instadry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sad that the formula is subpar. I think I'll stick with their Salon Pro formula.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea i had a tough time with it too, but the color I picked up is my holy grail 'Mannequin hands nude". It turned out smoother with a top coat, for the next go'round I added some of my OPI thinner, soooo maybe that will help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are actually my favorite line of polishes from the drugstore. In San Diego, you can find a permanent display at Walmart and they only cost $1.50. So I encourage you to try other shades despite not being happy with these.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig