Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, February 6, 2014

Review: Maybelline Master Glaze by Facestudio Blush Sticks in Pink Fever and Coral Sheen

As many of you know, I was ridiculously excited when Maybelline released all of their new blushes late last year. I was desperate to get my hands on some, and I want to thank reader Jen who gave me a tip back in December that these were spotted at a local Rite Aid here in San Diego. Because of her tip, I was able to get everything I wanted and I've been testing these products ever since!

I'm sure that you've all spotted the new Maybelline blushes (both the sticks and powder blushes) in your area by now, but in case you haven't tried them yet, here are my thoughts! I'll also be reviewing the powder blushes soon, so check back for that post.

Maybelline Master Glaze by Facestudio Blush Sticks in Pink Fever and Coral Sheen
(retail: around $8 each, 0.24 oz)

These blush sticks are available in six shades, which you can view here.

 photo 0032-1.jpg

 photo 0042-1.jpg

There are safety stickers on these blushes, and you can tell pretty easily when the seal has been broken. On the left is a seal in-tact and on the right is a broken seal. Someone would have to really gently peel the sticker (not easy to do) and then smoothly seal it back up if they were trying to conceal that they opened it. 

 photo 0052-1.jpg
Pink Fever

 photo 006-6.jpg
Coral Sheen

 photo 026-3.jpg
One swipe of each blush

As you can see, these blushes have a sheen to them. This sheen translates to the cheeks as just that--a soft sheen. There are no chunky glitter pieces in these blushes.

 photo 028-3.jpg

 photo 040.jpg
Blended

Blended, you can see the sheen a bit better on the back on my hand. Again, no glitter.

 photo beforeafter.jpg
Coral Sheen 

First of all, I apologize for the dry patches on my skin--I've been dealing with some irregular dryness (I have very oily skin) due to the weird weather we've been having in San Diego, but it's actually a good thing because now you can see that this blush doesn't cling to dry patches! In the photo on the left, I applied two swipes of Coral Sheen to my cheek (over foundation and setting powder) and blended. As you can see, the pigmentation on my NC20 skintone is great, even after blending with my fingers. In the photo on the right, I went back, after this blush had set, and blended it out a bit more with my fingers. If you look closely, you can tell that the pigmentation is a bit softer after blending for a second time.

Texture and consistency: I absolutely love the texture of these blushes. They are not thick or heavy--they have a very light consistency that is extremely easy to blend. They're not greasy yet they're not dry--once you start blending, they almost feel like they go from a cream to a soft, fine powder. But they're not powdery, if that makes sense.

Application: Extremely easy using just your fingers. All I have to do is swipe once or twice on each cheek, blend with my fingers for a second or two and I'm done. Seriously, this is a ridiculously easy blush to apply, and I haven't felt the need to bust out my stippling brush or anything like that--my fingers do just fine. Also, I haven't had an issue with applying this blush OVER powder (I know that's a concern for a lot of you and it is for me as well). It doesn't ball up or become patchy when you apply over powder, which is awesome.

Pigmentation: On my NC20 skin, I don't need more than two quick swipes per cheek to get extremely good pigmentation from both of the shades in this post (I obviously can't speak to the other shades in this range, because I don't own them). If you have fair skin, I would think you'd need just ONE swipe and you might even need to be careful with how hard you press, or you could end up with too much pigmentation. For deeper skintones, I would imagine that three (or maybe four) quick swipes would give you all of the pigmentation you need.

Staying power: I have worn these blushes with all different types of foundations (cream, liquid, long-wear, powder, BB creams and CC creams) and I can tell you that they last the longest when used with foundations that aren't overly-emollient. If you have dry skin and you use a creamy foundation, you might only get 3-4 hours of wear. But when I use my long-wear foundation and oil-control setting powder, these blushes last a full eight hours (although I can't speak to how they'll wear in the summertime, since I've been testing them in the winter). Also, I find that they work very well if you apply face primer before your foundation. I haven't noticed a big difference in applying them under or over setting powder, but my personal preference is to apply them OVER my setting powder, because setting powder does dull down the color a bit.

Fragrance: I detect no fragrance to this blush.

FINAL VERDICT: I'm a longtime fan of several Maybelline products, but blushes have never been their strong suit (in my humble opinion). But these Master Glaze Blush Sticks have taken Maybelline blushes to a whole other level for me. I simply adore them due to the ease of use, texture, pigmentation and staying power. Also, both of the shades I purchased are totally wearable once blended--no need to feel intimated by the colors in the tube. My one complaint is that the sticks are small for the price-point, but if you're a Nouvette, you know that all you have to do is wait for a good sale at the drugstore (and perhaps a coupon to go with it) and you'll never have to pay full-price. I say try one--you might be very pleased with how easy they are to use and how nice they look on your cheeks.

Do you own any Maybelline Master Glaze Bush Sticks? I would love to know how they've been working for you! Please check back soon for my review of the Maybelline Master Hi-Light Powder Blushes!

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. I might pick one up to be my first venture into cream-type blushes! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If this is your first, I would also HIGHLY recommend the Rimmel cheek tint I reviewed a few weeks ago! It's very forgiving and just all around awesome.

      Delete
  2. Ohh these look nice and creamy thankyou for the swatches x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Please let me know what you think if you try one? :)

      Delete
  3. I love how detailed your reviews are. I strongly disliked the texture of these - they felt very dry to me when I was blending them out in an uncomfortable way. Then again, my skin is pretty dry right now - perhaps that is a factor? Though I guess they felt okay to you on your drier patches. Just shows opinions vary a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How weird is that?? I'm so sorry to hear these didn't work for you. :( And yeah, even on my weirdly dry skin these are so smooth and easy to apply. I'm so bummed....I was hoping you'd love these too!

      Delete
  4. I cannot wait to try. I've never strayed from powder blushes - but these sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never strayed from powder blushes either until a few months ago when I tried NYX's stick blush. It was surprisingly nice! I got a Master Glaze a couple of weeks ago, and I like it a lot, too. I have to say that I think I prefer the cream blushes to the powder ones now that I'm getting older and dealing with aging skin.

      Delete
    2. Traci and Steph, I also highly recommend the Rimmel cheek tints I reviewed a few weeks ago. They are perfect for newbies....check my review! :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, I've seen your review on the Rimmel cheek tints and will probably pick up the peach/coral shade. I'm trying hard not to buy makeup unless I actually need something, and I do need a peach/coral shade.

      Delete
  5. I was apprehensive at first, but I trust your reviews! Might have to try these out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, now I HAVE to know what you think if you try one! Fingers crossed! ;)

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love these too! Bought three shades so far...I love that they have a luminous glow to them that is not glittery or shimmery. Actually got complimented at work the other day by a woman saying how pretty my blush was. These are definitely a winner! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad to hear you love then too, Carol!! We're twinsies yet again! ;)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the review! I have been debating trying a few cream blushes and was on the fence about buying these. I'll be purchasing them soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Please keep me posted? :)

      Delete
  8. I have the just pinched pink and I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad for the review G. I wanted to try one since I prefer cream blush but wondered about pigmentation. Since I do have dry skin the wear time my be iffy. Going to wait for a sale and try one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find an oil-based sugar scrub works great on those dry patches. I have oily skin too, and this winter has been terrible for giving me dry patches I don't normally have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I saw these in store at CVS several weeks ago I wanted to try them. The only thing holding me back is that they're not CF. Thanks for the great swaches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the blendability of these. And, I have been using them as lipsticks too. The longevity isn't quite there but, they are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I first saw the new Maybelline foundation stick about a month ago at my local Walgreen's. I loved the idea, and immediately bought one -- the only one they had in porcelain (pale). I loved it so much it's all I've worn since. I don't know if you've reviewed that since I'd looked up the blush, but the foundation is wonderful. I'm older with extremely sensitive dry skin -- I get rosacea -- so have stuck with Cover Girl and Almay. But there's no need for those messy bottles anymore. This goes on SOOO smoothly and FAST! I do need a good moisturizer on first, but with that, it's so easy to just swipe and blend and it looks fantastic! The blush sticks are just as wonderful. I saw them a couple weeks ago --same place and snapped up two colors. They are so easy and also go on so smoothly. But the colors were borh bright: I bought the same ones you did, and of course blended them too. However, I wanted more subtle color, so went back and found Walgreen's was almost out. I got the Make a Mauve but had to go to a couple more stores to get the lighter pink, Pink Punch or something like that. I just now went and swiped it on with no moisturizer, and it still blended in well and looks really good. Every store is running out, so I got another blush stick in the deep pink and another foundation. A friend I told about these cannot find any in her neighborhood. I LOVE these products. L'Oreal owns Maybelline, so I worried about fragrance since L'Oreal is overly strong -- I don't buy their stuff except Elnett. However, these sticks have no fragrance, which is a big plus. The next time I'm out, I'll look for the blush shades I don't have. I use the mauve, which is dark, for sculpting. After swiping the foundation, I draw a diagonal line with the edge under my cheeks, blend a couple lighter colors on them, and finish with the new multi-shade hilighter pressed powder, in just light pink and white on my cheekbones. I love the smooth sheer quality of both these products. They feel nice, go on easy and look lovely! I generally stick to CG and have extras, but doubt if I'll go back. These are the best new products I've seen yet, and so affordable!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig