Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, October 21, 2013

Glitter Gradient with Sinful Colors Gilded

Since the $0.99 Sinful Colors sale is going on at Walgreens this week (now through 10/26), I thought it would be a nice time to show you the new shade Gilded, which can be found in this display at Walgreens (and this display at Rite Aid).

Instead of just showing you swatches of this polish, I thought it would be fun to show you a glitter gradient as well. You know I'm not the best at gradient manicures (OK, I really suck at them) but that never stops me from trying. I bought a new pack of cosmetic sponges at Dollar Tree the other day specifically for gradient manicures, so keep reading to see how I did!

 Sinful Colors Nail Color in 1383 Gilded
(retail: $1.99, 0.5 oz)

Gilded contains tiny yellow gold and red glitters. The base is a sheer, milky white, but when you view this polish in the bottle, the combination of the glitter and the base makes it appear to have an almost rose-gold or peach hue:


For my glitter gradient, I used the following three polishes (plus a makeup sponge to sponge on Gilded):

 Sinful Colors Gilded
Wet n Wild Burgundy Frost 
NYC In a New York Minute Quick Dry Nail Polish in Grand Central Station

If you don't have Burgundy Frost, you can use any red polish that has golden shimmer or microshimmer. Also, NYC Grand Central Station is technically not a top coat, but most people use it as one (I'll be doing an entire blog post about this later, if you'd like more info).


On my pinky nail: I painted two coats of Gilded on my pinky nail, followed by two coats of NYC Grand Central Station (two coats of top coat really makes this polish smooth to the touch, but if you don't mind a little bumpiness, one coat of top coat would suffice).

On my other nails: I applied two coats of Wet n Wild Burgundy Frost and allowed that to dry. Once that dried, I used a makeup sponge to dab on Sinful Colors Gilded, working from the tips of my nails down, dabbing less and less glitter as I worked down the nail. For a nice tutorial using this technique, check out this video here.

Lastly, I applied two coats of NYC Grand Central Station over the gradient. There's a lot of bumpiness and texture on the nail when you you do a glitter gradient, so it's best to apply a few coats of top coat just to even things out and make the nail smooth to the touch.



In low lighting you can really see the red glitter in Gilded

I had no issues with wearing Gilded all by itself (see pinky nail). In fact. I really like the look of Gilded by itself. Two coats was all I needed for good opacity, but I think that three coats would be better if you have the time. This polish wants to pool up near the nail tip when you're brushing it on, so be careful and go slowly and you shouldn't encounter any major issues. The nice thing about glitters like this is that, even if you don't get the application right the first time, you can push the glitter around a bit with your brush and easily go back in and dab more glitter in any bald spots before it dries.

I highly suggest applying two coats of a thicker, quick-dry top coat on top of Gilded, otherwise it's a bit bumpy. Two coats of NYC Grand Central Station makes this polish perfectly smooth to the touch.

Do you own Sinful Colors Gilded? If so, how do you like it? If not, are you thinking of picking it up while it's around for the holidays?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. I think it turned out pretty! I have something a little similar on my nails now. I used OPI Germanicure and sponged on OPI Glitzerland. I like the look of Gilded. May have to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting it as soon as it arrives in my area! And I'm definitely doing that manicure with it, it's gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really pretty and I love your gradient :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the whole new Sinful collection yesterday at the Walgreens in Fletcher Hills and completely gorged on it. I bought one of almost all the glitters. I like Gilded on its own too but I also like what you did and may try it a Thanksgiving manicure. I sure had fun switching these on a wheel last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too! I ended up getting 9 of them...so far. The week isn't over yet. I did get Gilded and it's really pretty. :D

      Delete
  5. Ugh, I've been wanting to do a glittery gradient like that for a little while now. Well done, G! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty. I like how it works with the deep red.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way this turned out for you, G! It's gorgeous, and I think it would be a great Christmas time look too....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see no suckiness! I want to try this for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just bought it Friday. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Gilded but had not decided how I would use it. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of doing a glitter gradient similar to what G did, but with Orly Rage as a base. I think Gilded would look great in combination with a lot of other polishes, including peach, pink, and reddish colors. I am also planing to do a manicure very similar to this with it: http://www.polishpolice.com/2013/04/23/deborah-lippmann-mermaids/ The original is gorgeous!

      Delete
    2. How funny! I just pulled out Rage to use with this :)

      Delete
  11. Weird that you posted this today, G-I'm currently wearing Gilded as a full manicure. I actually am not crazy about it on its own, but think it's a great one to use in combination with other colors. The main reason I picked it up is because it is so reminiscent of the Deborah Lippman Mermaid collection. I actually just posted about Gilded recently, it's right in between the pink and peach colors in the Mermaid collection, IMO. My post has a couple of pictures of how the 3 bottles compare, but here's a link to one. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LPwrpCUzgVA/Ulo_9Gha0sI/AAAAAAAAEEU/u9uxbqD8Wf4/s320/BOTTLE+COMPA3.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is a great gradient G. also what helps I find with these chunky glitters is a coat of Gelous (the one with the green cap) once the glitter is dry, smooths things out like silk! Then one coat of Grand Central Station and I have a mani that rivals gel polish in shine! And it will last me a whole week which is amazing! I read about the cocktail of top coats on someone's blog....don't remember who, and it is amazing. I have gone from not being able to last a whole day w/o chips to a week!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do something similar with the Essence XXX shine topcoat which is a thick gel-like texture probably similar to Gelous :)

      Delete
  13. This came out beautiful.Really like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And remind me again how you get such a perfect application!?! Do you use a brush in np remover to clean up? I can never get mine this flawless *jealous* :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She uses a $1 E.L.F. concealer brush from Target dipped in remover for cleanup. It's a trick many of us polish nuts use, the brush is so small it gets into the tiny crevices really nicely. Search through her Five Buck Friday posts, G discusses it further and even links to a video about her cleanup technique.

      Delete
  15. G! I want to thank you for blogging about this sinful colors sale. I was able to track down the decorate decadently line in my Walgreens and I ended up buying 17, yes, 17 polishes from this line! I bought this one too after I saw this posting. My stores did not care even a little bit about the limit of 3 and I live in NC. Thanks again as always for satisfying my need to always buy new nail polish. I'm a nail polish addict and I don't care, lol. You're a doll and amazing for the work you do here, I even told a complete stranger who is also nail polish obsessed as I found out while browsing in wal-mart about your wonderful blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig