Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 19, 2013

Review: NEW Avon Mega Effects Mascara

The Wonderbrush

Whenever something is totally new or different, it immediately becomes polarizing. When Avon first launched this mascara (with the "The Wonderbrush"), I saw comment after comment about it and each comment fell within one of two camps. There's the "Oooh, how cool! I can't wait to try it" camp, and the "Eeek! That looks like a torture device" camp. I don't think I've come across anyone who is in the middle here--it's one extreme or the other.

So with this review, I'm striving to be as objective as I can possibly be, but I do want to state that I'm in the first of the two camps above. Whenever I see a new beauty product that's different or innovative, I generally run towards it, not away from it. I love gimmicks or even things that have just a whisper of "gimmick" about them, so I was absolutely thrilled when Avon sent this new mascara to me for review. So here we go!

Avon Mega Effects Mascara
(retail: $10, 0.317 oz)



Next to a Maybelline lipstick, for size perspective





The handle is completely adjustable:


From the Avon website:


I'm not going tell you how to apply this mascara, because I think it's going to vary from person to person. Some people have luck by keeping their eyes pointed in a downward position during application, while others prefer to look up, or straight ahead. It's one of those things that you really need to try for yourself in order to determine what works best for you and your particular eye shape.

Here's a before-and-after:


This mascara gives some nice definition, but not enough length or volume for my puny lashes. However, there are some things I really like about this mascara. My favorite thing is that the applicator allows you to get deep down into your lash line--closer than ANY mascara I've ever used before. This is obviously due to the applicator, and if you look at the "after" photo above, this mascara actually gives the effect of tightlining without actually tightlining. That, in and of itself, is pretty darned amazing (it looks even more impressive in person--please trust me on that).

I don't really find that adjusting the angle of the brush helps or hurts application, but you may obviously disagree. I think a lot will depend on your particular eye shape, in terms of how easy (or difficult) you find application. For the record, I have never once poked my eye with this applicator. The only thing I have done is hit my upper lid with the applicator, which left mascara marks all over my lids. I did this probably the first three or four times I used this mascara, so expect a learning curve (again, much will depend on your particular eye shape).

Another thing I like about this mascara is that you can hold the brush sideways during application. When I say sideways I mean like this:


Holding it like that during application allows you to reach the inner and outer lashes more easily than holding the brush in the intended way. Also, this is the way I prefer to hold the brush when applying this mascara to my lower lashes. I simply cannot hold the brush in the intended position for my lower lashes--it results in a mess due to my eye shape. I normally apply mascara to my lower lashes in a "windshield wiper" motion with the tip of a standard mascara wand, and I find that this is absolutely achievable by holding this brush sideways (like the pic above).

This is a wetter mascara, and it takes a little while for it to dry once on the lashes. I prefer waiting a few minutes between coats due to its wetness. Since I generally prefer drier mascaras, I find that using this mascara as part of my morning routine adds extra time to my "getting ready" schedule. Also, the fact that we're simply not used to a wand of this nature also adds time, because you'll find that you naturally apply this mascara more slowly than traditional mascaras (we're all pros with a traditional wand so keep that in mind--you'll naturally work slowly with this one since it's so extremely different and new).

Staying power is good for my oily lids--I can get a full day's wear without any flaking, smudging or fading. Removal is easy with my regular facial cleanser because this is a washable mascara (for the record, Avon claims it's "sweat-proof, non-flaking and non-smudging" but not waterproof). There's no need for eye makeup remover, unless of course you use a very gentle facial wash, in which case you might need a boost with makeup remover.

The fragrance of this mascara is very mild--it smells like a standard mascara but it's not strong or overpowering at all.

FINAL VERDICT:  I think that Avon Mega Effects will work best for those of you who already have decent volume and/or length to your lashes, but it could also work for those who just prefer a more natural yet defined look. If your lashes are short, thin and/or barely-there like mine, I think you'll appreciate the fact that this mascara gives the illusion of tightlighting, without having to actually tightline. This is the thing I love the most about this product, and for that reason I wouldn't rule it out, even if you do prefer more volume and/or length. If you generally shy away from new or different innovations and prefer more traditional products, this might not be for you, since there is a serious learning curve here. You won't be able to open it for the first time, apply it and run out the door looking great--it will take multiple applications to get it right.  It's really one of those things that you need to try for yourself, and I don't think reading a million reviews (including this one) will ever be enough to determine whether or not this product will work for you. It depends so much on eye shape and your willingness to master an entirely new type of brush. The only things I can be definitive about here are 1) If you like drier mascaras, this is a wetter formula so it might not be for you and 2) If you have no patience to learn how to use something completely new and just want to quickly apply your mascara and go, this may not be for you. If you're still open to it even after those two statements, I say give it a shot. You really will never know unless you actually try it.

Avon Mega Effects is now available for purchase from your Avon Representative or on the Avon website.

Do you already own this mascara? If so, I would absolutely love to hear how it's working for you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. i love gimmicks, so i've been super curious about this....however, i do favour drier formulas, and with a toddler running around my house, i have less time in the mornings than i used to! thanks for the review, G!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this but I've been afraid to try it. lol
    I'll give it a try now that I've read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about this product...but I'm not sure if my small eyes would make applying this harder O.o

    How long is the applicator? 1 inch across?

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a painting brush!! Love the result though. thanks fr the share

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine sells Avon and got to test this out before it officially launched. It looked so amazing on her I think I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey G, I got this and I completely agree with you: it's not for everyone and it takes practice to use. That being said, it is a pretty decent mascara and I didn't experience any clumps (which is a plus in my book) and it does cover your lashes nicely, however I'm not 100% certain I'd buy this again. I wanted to try it because it was new and different but I'm not sure I need this, if that makes sense! Anyway, great review. Like you said, everyone needs to try it and decide for themselves ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. great review, G! I'll pass though...falsies mascarra rules my world

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mascara doesn't have such an awful build-up at the brush, and it seems that some batches have this problem... Mine is almost clean when I pull it out and gets just enough to cover both eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really intrigued by this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this a cool idea, reminiscent of watching my mom apply mascara in the 60's with a brush. I have a decent set of lashes, long and fairly thick but quite light so I think that it would probably work for me but I don't think I will purchase it, if someone gave me a freebie I'd be all over it and the learning curve! Thanks for such a thorough review G.!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm intrigued, but I don't care to spend $10 anymore on mascaras, since you're supposed to toss them out after three months.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The brush is a little scary though, it looks like a big spider!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just got this in the black/brown color (so many manufacturer's seem to be phasing this color out). Although I, too, prefer a slightly dryer mascara, I've had good results with this product in terms of length as well as some volume. If it pulls out of the holder too wet, I just brush it across the bathroom tissue roll to wipe some of it off. I also get a bit off a curl from it! I use the wand from above my eye and lightly comb upward; otherwise the applicator blocks my view of my lashes. I haven't figured out how to use the little combs on the sides, so I'll probably try that today. I also like that the packaging is not round. No more rolling tubes on the counter where i apply my makeup. I'd also like to get a "tightline" look, so I'll keep playing with it.

    Thanks for your extra-thorough review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought the Avon Mega Effects Mascara about a month ago. I absolutely agree with your post. I was really excited about the prospect of coating more of my lashes with this new brush. And as far as that goes, it coats my lashes wonderfully from base to tip in 1 swipe (I was really impressed). The new brush took me about a week to figure out how to work it without poking myself in the eye. Yes, I actually poked myself in the eye... I'm just THAT GOOD. :(

    But after a week, I was applying it like a pro. Love the mascara formula and the brush, my lashes look voluminous. Not so much length, but I've discovered that I like volume more than length, if I had to choose between the two.

    Didn't know I could use it sideways, like in your post, will have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have pathetically sparse lashes and over the years have tried EVERYTHING to make them look longer and fuller. I've found the trick to using this mascara is to add one coat of another mascara (preferably a non clumping one) on your lashes BEFORE you go for the Avon Mega Effects. A little more work but I've found doing this gives me incredibly long lashes; more so than any other mascara I've ever tried. Using it this way is the way to go for me and honesty makes my sparse lashes look like I almost have falsies on! Will be a regular repeat buyer of the Avon Mega Effects. Awesome product! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SueBooth, thank you so much for taking the time to leave this comment. I have exact same issue (pathetically sparse lashes) and I cannot WAIT to try your trick! Thanks again for taking the time to share! :D

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig