Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, July 25, 2013

Review: ChapStick Mixstix in Lemon Berry Sorbet & Strawberry Banana Smoothie

NOTE: This week at Walgreens (through 7/27) you can use the ChapStick coupon in the Walgreens July Coupon Book to get these for $2.49 each (regularly $3.49 each). Cashiers usually have the coupon booklet right at the register, so just ask them to scan it when you're checking out. 

You know I've been dying to try these since I first posted about them at the end of June. I only purchased two of the three flavors (there's also a Green Apple Caramel variety) when I found them at Walgreens, so let's take a closer look at these babies:

 ChapStick Mixstix in Strawberry Banana Smoothie and Lemon Berry Sorbet
(retail: $3.49 each, 0.155 oz) 

Regular ChapSticks contain 0.15 oz of product, so you're getting a tiny bit more product in these dual-ended sticks.


  ChapStick Mixstix in Strawberry Banana Smoothie



Strawberry side: The consistency is as smooth and creamy as some of the other ChapSticks I own (about the same consistency as ChapStick Raspberry Cremefor reference). I really love the strawberry flavor to this one--it's a callback to childhood and makes me think the strawberry-scented lip balms and erasers of my youth. Love it.

Banana side: The consistency is a little more stiff than other ChapSticks I own, but once you get it going it does soften up a bit.  the flavor is spot on with other "artificial banana" scents that I love (what can I say? I'm a sucker for artificial banana fragrance!). If you generally like banana cream pie type fragrances, you'll probably enjoy this one.

Combined: You really can achieve the fragrance and flavor of a strawberry banana smoothie when you combine the two sides, but the fragrance and flavor are a little bit fleeting.

 ChapStick Mixstix in Lemon Berry Sorbet



Lemon side: The consistency of this side is the same as the Banana flavor above--a little stiff but it does soften up once you get it going.  The fragrance is reminiscent of lemon cake, but the flavor is definitely lemonade (no cake notes). Not too tart, but more like Lemonhead candies.

Berry side: The consistency of this side is like the Strawberry flavor above--smooth and creamy. I was sort of expecting this flavor to be a repeat of Raspberry Creme, but it's definitely not! There is a distinct blackberry note in both the flavor and fragrance and it's quite delicious. This one also has the strongest flavor and fragrance of all four flavors I've reviewing here today. If ChapStick made this in single-stick form, I would buy back-ups.

Combined: It's more challenging to achieve a lemon berry sorbet flavor when you combine these two lip balms, because the berry side is more dominant than the lemon side (but it can be done--you just have to pack on the lemon and go easy on the berry). I actually prefer to wear both of these individually, on their own, as opposed to together.

FINAL VERDICT: Overall, these are a fun option if you like having at least two different lip balms with you at all times, but don't want to haul around two separate sticks. With the exception of the "berry" side of Lemon Berry Sorbet, I  think these a little bit more subtle than other Chapsticks I own, in terms of flavor and fragrance. So if you find the scent/flavor of say, Green Apple or Raspberry Creme a little too powerful, you'll probably appreciate that these are a bit more mild. You can wear each side on its own or combine the two to create a "new" flavor and fragrance, and I appreciate that you can control the strength of each flavor by simply applying more, or less, of one end than the other. I do find the flavor and fragrance to be a bit fleeting (especially compared to the stronger flavor/fragrance of other regular Chapsticks I own) but the moisture level is the same as other Chapsticks, and so is the staying power. I know that many of us like to wear Chapstick as a base for drier lip colors since it's light and doesn't dilute the pigmentation of lip colors, so I think it's nice to have some fun new options for that purpose. If you're curious about these, I say pick them up while they're on sale.

Do you own any ChapStick Mixstix? If so, which flavors do you own and how do you like them? Do find yourself wearing them separately, or together?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.=
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Haven't spotted them yet, but I will be picking them up for sure if I do. Big Chapstick fan, it's the only balm I can put over my longwear lip color that does not break down the product, and it doesn't melt in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want the strawberry banana one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the strawberry banana one and agree with you on all points. I wish the flavours were a little stronger; when I lick my lips all I get is a hint of sweetness, not really a particular flavour. Really want the apple caramel one but I dont think they sell it over in UK :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig