Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Review: NEW Softsoap Body Washes in Acai Berry & Tropical Water and Coconut Island Quench

A while back, I received both of the new-for-2013 body washes from Softsoap for review. These are new additions to the permanent Softsoap lineup (not to be confused with the Summer 2013 Limited Edition body washes I reviewed here). Acai Berry & Tropical Water and Coconut Island Quench both started to appear in stores in February of this year, but I know that sometimes it takes a while for certain retailers to get them. So if you haven't tried either of these new offerings yet, keep reading for my thoughts!

 New for 2013 from Softsoap:
Moisturizing Body Wash in Acai Berry & Tropical Water and Coconut Island Quench 

Note: These bottles were completely full when I received them but, as I'm prone to do when it comes to bath and body products, I was a little too excited to start using them. I didn't get around to taking these photos until I after I had used each product a few times. Sorry about that!

Let's start with Coconut Island Quench:

Softsoap Moisturizing Body Wash in Coconut Island Quench
(retail: around $3.50, 15 oz.)
From Softsoap: 
Transform your shower into a tropical vacation any time of the year with the new Softsoap® Coconut Island Quench Body Wash. 
The moisturizing formula, enriched with coconut oil extract, leaves skin feeling soft and supple; while the warm coconut fragrance transports you to sunny days on the beach. 
Available at mass retail, drug and grocery stores nationwide beginning February 2013


Given the pretty orange-juice color of this body wash, I expected to detect some citrus notes in this formula. However, I don't get any citrus at all in this one--it's absolutely coconut-based. At first I thought it smelled like Softsoap's other coconut body wash (Body Butter Coconut Scrub Body Wash) but it's actually a bit different. To me, the Body Butter body wash has more of a creamy coconut note to it, whereas this one is a bit powdery. I think there's a hibiscus note going on here, but it's not a heavy floral fragrance. I think it would be best described as coconut with a soft, powdery yet fresh floral background. To me, it's very feminine and it really surprised me--I like it quite a bit.

As for the formula, it's just like all of the other Softsoap body washes I've tried. For me, it's easy to get a good lather, it rinses clean and doesn't leave my skin feeling dry or tight.

Next up, Acai Berry & Tropical Water:

Softsoap Moisturizing Body Wash in Acai Berry & Tropical Water
(retail: around $4, 18 oz.)
From Softsoap:
Indulge your skin and senses with the new Softsoap® Acai Berry & Tropical Water Body
Wash. 
The formula is infused with extract of acai berry, nature’s antioxidant rich fruit, and moisturizing beads that leave skin feeling silky soft. An awakening shower experience is created through a refreshing fragrance that invigorates both body and mind.     
Available at mass retail, drug and grocery stores nationwide beginning February 2013

Grape bubblegum! That's the best way I can describe the scent of this body wash. I love it because it takes me right back to being a kid. I detect lots of sugary, tart, purple grapes in this fragrance and not much else.  I've mentioned in the past that I'm a fiend when it comes to the scent of acai berry (I love it lotions, candles, body mists, you name it) and I honestly don't think this has the typical acai-berry-note that I'm used to smelling when I use a product with "acai berry" on the label. To my nose, it's pure grape bubblegum but, for me, that's not a bad thing. It's fun and playful and if you loved grape bubblegum as a kid, this might be a fun sense-memory for you. It definitely is for me.

No surprises with the formula of this body wash--it performs almost exactly like Coconut Island Quench for me, but with many a tiny bit more moisturization.

PS: I've heard so many people butcher the pronunciation of "acai" over the years that I thought I'd mention that it's pronounced like this: Aah (as in: "Say aaah!") Sigh (as in: "I'm tired. Sigh.") E (as in the letter "E"). Aah-Sigh-E. The accent is on the "E" (aah-sigh-EEEE). Hope that helps!

FINAL VERDICT:  I've been enjoying both of the new-for-2013 additions to Softsoap's permanent lineup quite a bit, but for different reasons. If I'm in the mood for something soft, feminine and tropical, I find myself reaching for Coconut Island Quench. But if I'm in the mood for something a bit zippy and playful, I reach for Acai Berry & Tropical Water. Neither body wash was what I expected it to be but, in this case, that was a nice surprise.

Coconut Island Quench and Acai Berry & Tropical Water are both in stores now. Have you tried either one? I'd love to hear what you think of them!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I love the Acai Berry body wash so much! I have that one in my show right now, and the Pacific Sunset limited edition. They both smell so good in very different ways ^_^
    I think these are such good inexpensive body washes, they perform for me better than some of the more expensive nondrug store brands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of these!! I think they are fantastic. I found the Coconut one to be much different than I expected. It wasn't super tropical to me, but more powdery, like you said. I was curious as to why the bottle was different than the Acai one. Does anyone have a guess? Is it because it is more creamy than the others?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smelled the Coconut Island Quench at my local target, and all I can say is WOW! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, grape...I love artificial grape smell/flavor (it's why Maybelline's purple Baby Lips is my favorite balm for daytime).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ALWAYS have at least 2 or 3 softsoap body washes in my stadh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have at least two or three of these in my stash at all times. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wish that these new and exciting scents would come to Canada. Where I live we never get ANY of them...and definitely not the limited edition ones :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried the Coconut Island Quench a while back and was not impressed. I didn't like the scent at all, and I thought it was way more watery than Softsoap's usual stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love all the Softsoap body washes. I will definitely be trying out the Coconut Island Quench. But more than anything else, I thank you for the pronunciation lesson for the word ACAI. That totally made my day (cuz I am right there with you on pronunciation)! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the coconut one, and I'm not crazy about the scent. I don't like the powdery notes. It needs to be sweeter and have more of a tropical smell. I actually took it out of my shower because it doesn't make me happy to use it. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Acai is my favorite. It smells like berry jello tastes.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig