Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Review: Paula's Choice Resist Ultimate Anti-Aging Hand Cream SPF30

NOTE: Before I begin this review, I want to tell you that I will not be reviewing this product in terms of how it performs as hand cream, because I've actually been using it as a facial moisturizer. If this sounds a bit confusing, please keep reading and all will be explained!

Paula's Choice Resist Ultimate Anti-Aging Hand Cream SPF30
(retail: $15.95--on sale right now for $12.76. 1.7 oz)

Over the past several months, I've learned (thanks to some of YOU!) that this product has a bit of a cult following. If you're already a Paula's Choice fan, then you probably know that many people use this hand cream as facial moisturizer. When I heard that this hand cream was a great product for those with oily skin who are seeking physical sunscreen (as opposed to chemical sunsreen) in their facial moisturizers, I had to contact Paula Begoun and ask her for more details.

For those who don't know, Paula Begoun, author of the ever-popular Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me and owner/founder of Paula's Choice and Beautypedia, is incredibly accessible. A few months ago, I sent her a tweet (you can follow her on Twitter here) asking her about this product, and she not only informed me that she was aware that fans were using this as facial moisturizer, but that some of her own staffers are hooked on using this product as facial moisturizer because of its sheerness and matte properties. She then offered to send me a tube for review and...how could I resist? (No pun intended.)

I've been using this product daily since mid-December, so I'm now ready to give you my review!

Keep reading for my thoughts on this product...



From the Paula's Choice website:
  • Effective For: Anti-aging, Brown Spots, Extra Sensitive Skin, Wrinkles
  • Shields hands from sun damage, aging, and brown spots
  • Contains gentle mineral actives for broad-spectrum protection
  • Antioxidants defend against signs of aging and stimulate collagen production
  • Leaves hands feeling soft, smooth, and perfectly moisturized
  • Proven emollients ease and prevent dryness so your hands look younger
  • Clinically proven non-irritating
  • 100% fragrance free, no added dyes
  • No animal testing
  • View the research and studies showing the benefits of using this hand cream here.
Product Ingredients:

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 6%; Titanium Dioxide 2.32% (sunscreens); Other Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate (thickener),Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone (silicone slip agents and skin protectants),Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Caprylyl Methicone (emollient), Glyceryl Stearate,PEG-100 Stearate (emollient thickeners), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient), Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer (film-forming agent), Isohexadecane (slip agent), Cetyl Alcohol (emollient), Propylene Glycol (moisture-binding agent), Polyglyceryl-6 Isostearate (emollient), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant/skin lightening agent), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (antioxidant), Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agents), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin, Panthenol (skin-repairing ingredients), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Caprylyl Glycol (emollient), Alumina, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone,Polyhydroxystearic Acid (thickeners), Triethoxysilylethyl Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Hexyl Dimethicone (skin-conditioning agent), Diethylhexyl Carbonate (emollient), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone slip agent), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

This product has a lot going for it right out of the gate. Non-irritating, fragrance-free with no added dyes, no animal testing and no chemical sunscreen (a huge selling point for those who only use physical sunscreens, I know).

A closer look:




This is not a heavy product--it's very lotion-like with a thinner consistency. When I first apply this to my face in the morning, it does leave a white cast to the skin (something practically all products containing physical sunscreens such as Zinc Oxide tend to do). But the good thing is that the white cast does disappear after you work this product into your skin (see pic above). 

One of the things that has made me swear off moisturizers with physical sunscreens in the past is that they always feel quite heavy on my skin. I can't stand that feeling because I have such oily skin to begin with. After a few hours on my face, most moisturizers with physical sunscreens tend to eat up my makeup and turn my face into one giant oil slick. I am delighted to inform you that this product does NOT do that. In fact, it feels so light on my skin, once it's been absorbed, that I have a really hard time believing it contains physical sunscreen at all (but it does).

Once this product has absorbed, it leaves a semi-matte finish behind. It's not super matte, as in "make your face feel tight and dry" but I detect no greasy feeling at all. My skin just feels softly hydrated, and my makeup applies very smoothly with no issues.

Throughout the course of the day, my skin continues to feel hydrated when I wear this product, and I have never noticed any type of excessive break-through oil. I don't think that this moisturizer actually controls oil, but it doesn't add to my oil. I usually have to use an oil-blotting sheet at around 11AM on most days, and then again at about 3PM, and that's exactly what I've been doing when I use this moisturizer in the morning.

I have no way of knowing how this product will work on normal-dry skin, but I'm guessing that this product might work in the summertime for those with normal-dry skin, although it may not deliver enough hydration in cooler months. For me, it's perfect for winter, and I have high hopes for it in the summertime as well (I will try to update this post in the warmer months if I notice a difference in performance).

I have experienced no irritation to my skin or any additional breakouts (aside from my usual monthly hormone-related blemishes) while using this product. It also removes easily with my regular cleanser, leaving no film behind.

I"d also like to add that the fragrance of this product (again, it's fragrance-free) isn't the usual "suntan lotion" type of fragrance that many products with physical sunscreen tend to have. It's very light and it basically smells like unscented lotion, with a very subtle "lotion" note.

FINAL VERDICT: If you were one of the readers who suggested this product to me last year, please leave a comment here so that I can thank you. This product is absolutely wonderful when used as facial moisturizer. It's the only moisturizer with physical sunscreen that has ever worked for me and my oily skin because it's not heavy, it doesn't leave a lasting white cast on my face, and it absorbs beautifully, leaving a semi-matte finish behind. It plays well with my makeup, doesn't cause me to have any extra oil on my face throughout the day, and the scent is so mild I don't even notice it. If you have oily skin and you've been looking for a facial moisturizer with physical sunscreen that doesn't feel heavy or cause your face to be extra-oily, I definitely think this one's worth considering.

You can purchase this product on the Paula's Choice website where, as of the time of this post, it's on sale for $12.76 (you can also purchase a sample size for $0.60).

PS: I do want to add that I have tried this product a few times as hand cream (how could I not?). It absorbs very quickly when used on the hands, making it a nice choice if you do a lot of computer work or are in a profession where you don't have minutes to wait for your hand cream to absorb. I tend to prefer a thicker hand cream that I can feel on my hands for a long time after application so, in that respect, this isn't an ideal fit for my hand care needs.

Are you a Paula's Choice fan? If so, I'd love to know if you've tried this product. I'd also love to know what other Paula's Choice products have worked for you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Interesting timing of this review G. - I just placed a PC order a couple hours ago today! Excited to try out her products :) now I wish I had known about this cream! I'm sure it would be best on my drier skin in the summer though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey G..

    I also use this sunscreen on my oily complexion and LOVE it. I have been a Paula's Choice groupie for many many years (and I'm only 33).
    I use (and love) other products from her line:
    skin balancing oil control cleanser
    skin balancing toner
    2% BHA liquid (also has a cult following.. and truly deserving of it),
    skin balancing moisture gel (no spf.. good for nighttime)
    Resist super antioxidant serum

    I could go on (I just cannot remember the name of the other products I've used).

    When I use her line regularly, I have really clear skin and the oil seems to stay within a normal range. The BHA is the shining star in her collection if you ask me. But I highly recommend anything I listed for an oily complexion. I even got my mom hooked on her stuff (saving her lots of money compared to the other high end brands she was using).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Paula's Choice, especially the Skin Balancing Moisturizing Gel - YOU HAVE TO TRY IT, G!!!

    But please tell me what the difference between a chemical and physical sunscreen are :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to try this product in the summer! I use Paula's 1% BHA gel and her retinol serum and love them both. I'm also dying to try her new foundation (after reading Phyrra's review).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi G.-Do you think you might review any other Paula's Choice products? I would really value a review from you about them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I put off placing my Paula's Choice order yesterday! I'm definitely going to get this, my skin is super oily and I've been searching for a new sunscreen. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! SO glad you like this product as a facial moisturizer. This is my HG facial moisturizer in the summer when I'm more oily. I remember suggesting that you use it this way (I have recommended to many PC lovers on YouTube). I love her products and I swear my skin looks great because of her! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Clear Regular Strength Exfoliant has completely changed my skin (recommendation from Wayne Goss of Gossmakeupartist). If I use anything other than mineral makeup, I get breakouts. Some makeup is worse than others, but I'm always nursing one or two. Then around my hormonal time, I get cystic acne on my chin. This product keeps my skin clear 100% of the time. I just survived that time of the month with zero pimples of any kind. I've already re-ordered once. Also the Weekly Resurfacing Treatment is wonderful as well as the skin clearing mask. I'll have to try this moisturizer, particularly in the warmer months.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post convinced me to give Paula's Choice a shot. I've been on the market for a new moisturizer for a while, but there didn't seem to be any good middle ground between Olay/Garnier and the $50+/bottle stuff. I've got really dry skin, so I also ordered the moisture mask for nighttime care. It was a little pricey, but I got three full-sized products and three samples for less than the cost of the normal-sized Hope in a Jar at Sephora.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE Paula's Choice! I am trying to incorporate as many products as I can from her line into my cosmetics drawer! I started on the face with skin care products but will be moving onto hair and body with Paula's Choice shampoo, conditioner and body lotions. All she needs to do now is release a toothpaste, deodorant... :p

    As for the RESIST Hand Cream, I have it on order from a purchase I made yesterday and have tried samples before! It's super! I love your review of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a big Paula's choice fan. Almost all my facial products are from her website, but although I tried the hand cream i didn't try it as a facial lotion. Maybe I should have! I didn't like it as a hand cream. Too dry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So is this particular product not oil free? I have oily skin too so always try to go for oil free products. Also I wondered if you knew if there is a difference between oil free and mineral free and if so what is the difference?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig