Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, November 30, 2012

Zoya Paloma + Wet n Wild Star of the Show = delicious jelly sandwich

You know I love my jelly sandwiches, and today I've got one that I've been imagining in my mind for so long, it almost felt weird to actually execute it.

A while back, during one of Zoya's fabulous promotions, I bought the Gloss Collection. After seeing my pal Amber's drool-worthy photos, I couldn't get these jellies off my mind and I knew they'd be mine at some point. So anyway, my favorite shade in the Gloss Collection is Paloma. It's like sweet raspberry syrup on the nail--so mouth-wateringly beautiful that I am tempted to taste it every time I wear it (but of course I don't, and neither should you!).

Fast forward to when the LE Wet n Wild holiday polishes first came out, and that star glitter, Star of the Show, was another "had to be mine" polish. Such a sucker for stars (especially when they're $1.99).  After I bought Star of the Show, I imagined in my mind what it would look like paired with Zoya Paloma for a jelly sandwich manicure, and I think that I was so excited by the idea of it that I actually put off doing it (weird, huh?). But the time is now here, so let's see how it turned out:

 Wet n Wild Star of the Show (retail: $1.99, 0.46 oz)
Zoya Paloma (retail: $8, 0.5 oz)

Keep reading for lots and lots of pics...



 A macro of Star of the Show:


As you can see, this polish contains holo star glitter, as well as holo bar glitter (the bar glitter is pretty irregular and comes in varying lengths and thicknesses) and also teeny tiny hex glitter. All of the glitter floats in a clear base.

And oh yes, look at that syrupy goodness:


So here's an example of what a difference one coat can make.  In the following pic, I applied one coat of Paloma, followed by one coat of Star of the Show, followed by one more coat of Paloma. That's it:


Did not like this AT ALL. But then I applied one more coat of Paloma and BAM! Deliciousness:


Again, these photos were taken after:

1 coat Paloma
1 coat Star of the Show
2 more coats Paloma



Here's a blurry pic where you can really see the little holo hex glitter sparkle (especially on my ring finger):


And here's a grainy photo taken in very low lighting--I wanted to show you this because, in low lighting, the color of the star glitter looks like varying shades of pink and magenta. Gorgeous:


Like I said before, I adore Palmona. Seriously, if you could only have one of the Zoya Gloss polishes, I would say get Paloma--it's even more gorgeous in person and probably my favorite jelly polish in my collection.

As for Star of the Show, if you don't already own it (it still seems to be floating around at Walgreens and CVS--just look for this display at CVS and look in the end-cap display at Walgreens that also contains the LE 8-pans), I would say it's worth a purchase if you love star glitter...and you're willing to work for it. This is not a polish that you can just swipe onto the nail and go. The base is thick and goopy and you really need to fish for the glitter and dab it on the nail strategically. Pretty par for the course for glitters of this nature, but if you're new to big, chunky glitter polish, I just want to let you know about that ahead of time so that you don't have any unrealistic expectations.

Thanks for reading, and I would love to know if you own either (or both) of these polishes!
SHARE:

32 comments

  1. Cute! Paloma is my favorite from the Gloss collection too. It's such a gorgeous color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the star WnW polish I found weeks ago and I really like it. I had never even seen it in stores before and this one was all by itself. But I was happy to find it. :) Is that how you're supposed to wear glitters like this is by applying the color polishes over them? I've never used big glitter polishes like this before so I wasn't sure how to apply them. Love yours though! That Zoya color is so pretty! <3

    toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, you definitely don't have to wear them under a color if you don't want. You can layer them over a color or, if you have nice nails that aren't currently stained yellow like mine, wear it on its own! This is just a fun technique to do with "jelly" polishes--super sheer colored polishes that literally look like liquid jelly and take a lot of layers to give you full coverage. Layering the glitters in between gives that cool depth look. :)
      I am lemming that WnW polish hardcore. I hope I can find it somewhere near me. must. have.

      Delete
    2. Couldn't have said it better myself, Allyson! :)

      Delete
  3. I did this same combo not too long back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. I found the star WNW a few weeks back and love it, but hadn't thought of layering it like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know what you think if you do! :)

      Delete
  5. I didn't think that it would look nice paired together,until I scroll down and saw your swatches.It looks real cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paloma is also a dead-on dupe of OPI's "Houston, We Have A Purple"- that was a pleasant surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your jelly sandwich really looks so pretty! Love it! Sometimes when I am looking forward to something such as this I delay it in anticipation and when I finally do it the satisfaction is that much greater! And G., great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, robin! And i'm so glad i'm not the only one who does this!! :)

      Delete
  8. I have some Register Rewards to burn, so I hope my Walgreens has the WNW Star polish. I purchased SH Smooth & Perfect in Air, Fog, and Satin. Could they be used for jelly sandwich manicures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the polishes you mentioned are sheer cremes, not jellies. They would be great to use to create a diy milky glitter like I posted last week,.but they're not transparent enough to do a jelly sandwich. Hope that helps, and here's my post from last week if you missed it:

      http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2012/11/drugstore-milky-glitter-polish-round-up.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I got mixed up! I want to try the milky glitter manicure and the jelly sandwich manicure. I will probably need to do a search to get a list of polishes for each. Hopefully, I own some that will work.

      Delete
    3. I listed some easy to find drugstore jellies below! :)

      Delete
  9. What are some good jellies that are easy to find in the drugstore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some that immediately come to mind:

      Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Purple Pizzazz

      Wet n Wild megaslast 2%

      Spoiled by Wet n Wild Shrimp on the Barbie

      Milani,Juicy Glo

      Hope that helps...there are lots more, but those are the ones i'm immediately thinking of. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks G! I will check those out.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome, and good luck! :)

      Delete
    4. I was -just- coming here to ask this. Thanks!!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for this! I thought my WnW Star of the Show was just from a bad batch. I used it a few weeks ago on an accent nail and to fish out one star brought a thick layer of clear goop with it. -.- It's so hard to get even 2 stars on the brush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, you definitely didn't get a bad batch...this is just the nature of a lot of chunky glitters. One tip I can give you is, after you pull the brush out of the bottle, try to place the glitter on the brush onto the lip of the bottle. Then wipe down your brush (on the other side of the lip) and then go back and pick up the glitter that you set aside. That seems to help a bit, even though it's tricky and requires a bit of patience. :)

      Delete
  11. It never occurred to me that you could layer a glitter polish UNDER a coat of jelly. Thanks for opening up a whole new world, G!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I can make it official: I absolutely love your nail looks G! Feeling sorry for myself because I passed on the star polish :( I'm not a fan of jellies, but I have to admit every time I see one of your jelly sandwiches, I ask myself why I'm not cool enough to do one. HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig