Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, October 14, 2012

Review: Rimmel Glam'Eyes HD Eyeshadow in Heart of Gold

I recently received a selection of products from Rimmel for review, so I thought I'd start kick off this little series with an eyeshadow (expect additional Rimmel reviews in the near future).  I have actually had my eye on these little Union-Jack-inspired palettes since they first hit drugstores a while back, so I busted this one open the minute I received it. Now that I've had a chance to play around with these colors for a while, I'd love to share my thoughts with you.

 Rimmel Glam'Eyes HD Eyeshadow in Heart of Gold
(retail: around $5.50, 0.088 oz)

From the Rimmel website:

Rimmel introduces Glam'Eyes HD, our first creamy powder eyeshadow with Velvet-HD technology creates colour that looks perfect under any light. Prismatic pigments catch light at multiple angles, reflecting the ideal colour for the light you are in. Unique palettes of 4 shades expertly coordinated to work in sequence, adapting as light changes to give perfectly complementary effect in any light.Crease-proof colour lasts all day.
My review with swatches and an eye look, after the jump...

(sorry, no ingredients list on these palette)

The Heart of Gold palette includes:

highlight color (champagne shimmer)
lid color (bronze shimmer)
crease color (gold shimmer)
outer corner color (dark brown shimmer)

I don't quite agree with their choice of calling the golden shimmer a "crease color" because darker shades are traditionally used in the crease. I think it might have been more accurate to have called the dark brown shimmer the crease color and the gold shimmer color an alternate "highlight color" or maybe even an "accent color".

Anyway, let's take a closer look at these colors:



Every shade in this palette is a shimmer, and the shimmer level seems to be pretty equal across the board. There is no sparkle or glitter in any of these colors and very little fallout (practically none, actually) during application. 

These swatches were done on bare skin (no primer underneath):


I was extremely impressed with the pigmentation of these shadows, which is why I'm not showing you these swatches over primer. I didn't need to apply a primer first to get any of these colors to show up on my skin:


Here's a quick eye look I did the other night before going out to dinner (no primer):





For this look, I used only the Rimmel pallette on my eyes (in addition to eyeliner and mascara). I did not use any primer beforehand and I also didn't use any addition eyeshadow colors to create this look.

  • First I applied the champagne shimmer from lashline to brow bone.
  • Then I applied the bronze shimmer to my lid and blended up into the crease.
  • I then applied the dark brown shade in my outer "v".
  • Then I applied the gold shade to just the center of my lid.
  • I then took a fluffy blender brush and lightly blended all of the colors together.
  • Lastly, I used the small end of the accompanying sponge applicator to line my lower lash line with the dark brown shimmer shade.

What an unexpected little treasure this palette turned out to be. All four colors work quite well with my skintone and I find each one to be very nicely pigmented even without primer. The texture of these shadows is quite smooth and buttery and each one applies and blends very easily with little to no fallout. The staying power of these shadows has been fantastic for me either with or without primer (I can get about 6-8 hours without primer and 8-10 hours with primer before I start to see fading/creasing).

My one complaint about this palette is the size of some of the shadows. In particular, the pan size for the gold and champagne shades is VERY small, and it's impossible to pick up color with a regular eyeshadow brush and avoid accidentally picking up color from a nearby shadow in the palette. I did find a way to work around this though: I use the small end of the sponge-tip applicator that came with the palette to pick up and apply those colors, and then once they're on my eyes, I blend using my regular eyeshadow brush. 

FINAL VERDICT:  For about $5.50, I think this is a fun little palette that would be perfect for travel because you get four colors in a compact that's not too much larger than a standard eyeshadow single. The quality of the shadows is impressive--each one is smooth, buttery and well-pigmented. None of the colors in the Heart of Gold palette contain glitter or sparkle but all four shades are shimmery. I experienced little to no fallout with any of the shades, and my one complaint is that the two lighter shades in the palette come in pans that are so tiny they're impossible to work with using a standard eyeshadow brush. I would suggest using the accompanying sponge-tip applicator to pick up and apply those shades, and then blend using your regular eyeshadow brush. Other than that, this palette really surprised me. Granted, none of the shades are groundbreaking or very original, but the quality is there and I find the Heart of Gold palette quite versatile. I say give this one a shot if you're looking for a collection of wearable colors that don't require much thought (and especially if you travel, since this compact will take up a tiny amount of room in your makeup bag).

Do you own any Rimmel Glam'Eyes HD eyeshadows? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

24 comments

  1. Gorgeous look, especially for brown eyes. Not sure about blue eyes, tho. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I think this would pretty with blue eyes because the colors have a nice coppery tone, which would be opposite of blue on the color wheel. Just a thought. :)

      Delete
    2. I totally agree that these colors would look beautiful on blue eyes! :)

      Delete
  2. love your lashes! What mascara have you used in the pic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm wearing this mascara: http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2012/07/review-nyc-big-bold-mascara.html

      Delete
  3. Is there any way for you to make your posts readable on google reader? Love your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I can't do that. This explains why: http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2011/07/changes.html

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love the way your eyeliner looks in every one of your looks. What liner do you use to get that thin precise line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Lately I've been using the Milani Color Play liner (the black one) which allows for a very precise line. Here's my review: http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2012/08/review-milani-limited-edition-color.html

      Delete
  5. The colors are beautiful on you. However I am not a hhuge fan of Rimmel and those quads are not impressing me one bit. Passss..thanks for showing it though. :) Love youe blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been forever since I've used a Rimmel eyeshadow, but your review has convinced me to check this palette out. I'm impressed that your swatches were done without primer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M!! I'd love to know what you think if you get one! :)

      Delete
  7. I always look at these but never picked one up, since i didn't know how the quality was. The colors seem very pretty and blendable- kind of swatches like wnw trios- looks like the same creamy shimmery consistency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be pleasantly surprised by this one! I'd love to know what you think if you try it! And yes, I do think the shadows in this quad are comparable to wnw (but I can't say that for the other shades since this is the only one I've tried).

      Delete
    2. These little palettes are $8.98 in NYC :-( I'm going to have to wait for a sale.. I found them in Duane reade on 34th& 3rd if anyone's interested :-)

      Delete
  8. I really wanted to get these when they came out, but just found them not to be practical. I just want to use my makeup and not think about how to get the product out to use them.Great review as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understandable as these do require some effort for the lighter shades!

      Delete
  9. These are fantastic shadows.. I own a few of them. If only they would put them in regular pans.. the packaging is very difficult and user un-friendly. I so wish they would use this formula for all of their shadows.. it blows their regular ones out of the water.. most of them are terrible.. Orion is one exception, it is actually pretty nice (a brown trio) but even it does not compare to this formula. I have had good luck using a Q-tip to apply those small pan shades, then blending with a brush, if it's worth the hassle or you have already purchased one and are frustrated with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to your other Rimmel reviews.. I really enjoy both their kohl kajal and exaggerate liners, and IMO they have some of the best foundations in the drugstore. Their powder face products (setting powder, bronzer, and blush) are really excellent as well, but the blush can be hard to find for some reason. I have heard their lipsticks are very nice, but I do not wear traditional lipstick so I can't vouch personally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the review - I had sworn to never buy another Rimmel palette after the lousy pinky one I bought in the Spring. No pigmentation to the point that it was unusable and I got rid of it. It is nice to know there are good ones! I did buy their Lasting Finish 25 hour foundation based on a recommendation from Emilynoelle and I do like that. I also got a mascara that was on clearance a few months ago and its fine, no complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pretty much have all the their eyeshadows except for the single version. bought it when walgreens had the 40% sale and on top of that, $1 coupons off. (yes, i'm a coupon make up diva! hehe). if you ever need swatches for the other colors, give me a holler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing- I've been wondering about these. This palette looks good on you! I might try it out

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig