Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, August 2, 2012

Review: e.l.f. Essential Beauty School Eyeshadow Compact in Neutral

If you haven't been to your local Big Lots lately, then you might not know that many of the e.l.f. kits that were part of this Target end-cap display are also now available at Big Lots. Just about every eyeshadow set that is in the Target display, as well as the 10-piece brush set, etc. have been spotted at not only my local Big Lots locations, but other locations across the nation (thanks to many of you for confirming that). So if you're interested in getting any of these sets and you haven't seen them at your local Target, check Big Lots!

When I first spotted the influx of e.l.f. sets at my local Big Lots, I immediately purchased the Neutral Eyeshadow Compact. I've been wanting it for a while now and never found it at Target, so I was happy to finally get my hands on it.

NOTE: You might have noticed that the title of this blog post doesn't match the name of this kit when compared to the box below. That's because e.l.f. sometimes changes the names of their products, but I figured it was best to call it by its official name that is currently on e.l.f. website: e.l.f. Essential Beauty School Eyeshadow Compact in Neutral (also known as: e.l.f. Eyeshadow Collection Neutral Eyeshadow Compact).

 e.l.f. Essential Beauty School Eyeshadow Compact in Neutral  
(aka: e.l.f. Eyeshadow Collection Neutral Eyeshadow Compact)
(retail: $3, 0.17 oz)




 

There is a small mirror at the top of the inside of the case:

 


Five of the six shades in this palette are shimmers, and two of those shimmers also contain a good amount of loose sparkle. There is one matte shade in this palette, and that's the chocolate brown shade in the top row.

All swatches were done on bare skin, then over NYX HD primer.

First row:


Looking at the pic above, you can see that the first two colors in this palette (cream and champagne-beige) both contain not only shimmer, but a good deal of loose sparkle. This sparkle causes a lot of fallout due to the crumbly, powdery nature of the shadows themselves. When swatched over primer, the first two shades in this palette take on a foil-like effect. The third shade in the top row is the only true matte in the palette. It's very smooth and pigmented even on its own, but becomes quite intense with the help of primer.

Second row:


The finishes of the three shades in the bottom row of this palette are very consistent. All three are shimmers, but the texture of the beige and medium-brown shades is much softer and more powdery than the darker brown shade (last shade in the palette) which has a harder consistency and a weaker color-payoff when worn on bare skin (thought it does come alive over primer). The first two shades in the second row look weakly-pigmented in the photo above, but in reality, when applied with a brush to the lid, the color-payoff is quite good, even without primer. I think they just look weaker in my pictures because the colors blend into my skintone, making them harder to see.

 The palette after multiple uses:


As illustrated above, the texture of the first two shades on both the top row and bottom row is loose, powdery and crumbly. I'm not particularly hard on my shadows, but after a few uses, there is fallout all over this palette. Obviously you can see that the texture of the last two shades on the top and bottom row is a bit different and makes for cleaner application. These two end shadows have a firmer texture and are easier to work with. 

FINAL VERDICT:  This palette is a mixed bag. The first two colors in the palette are unwearable for me personally, because they contain a lot of loose sparkle that floats in the air and ends up all over my face during application. But on the other hand, the chocolate brown shadow in the top row is wonderful--it's a creamy, soft matte that blends beautifully and is highly pigmented even without primer. Moving down to the second row, the first two shades are nice shimmers with good color payoff, but they're crumbly and powdery during application. The last shade in the palette has a firmer consistency and isn't great on its own, but it does look quite nice over primer. Overall, the pigmentation of the shadows in this palette was more impressive than I thought it would be, even without primer. I also found the staying power to be good (about six hours on my lids without primer--longer with primer). But the texture of four of the six shades leaves something to be desired, and could require more work than you might be willing to invest. Is this palette worth $3? I guess it depends on your patience level and if you already have similar shades in your collection. If I didn't already have some good matte chocolate browns in my stash, I'd certainly consider buying this palette just for that one shade. I don't think this is a must-have palette for everyone, but if you have specific needs and are on a tight budget, it might be a good one to pick up if you happen to see it at Target or Big Lots.

Do you already own the e.l.f. Essential Beauty School Eyeshadow Compact in Neutral? If so, I would love to know how it's working for you!
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. The colors look pretty, but I can't believe now powdery/crumbly they look in that last picture. Personally, I've never loved elf eyeshadows. Their brushes, lipsticks, lipglosses, tinted moisturizers, highlighters, etc are all great---but the shadows never seem to work for me. I think I'll skip this one, thanks for the review G!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it when the sparkles fly all over my face. I need all the sparkle I can muster. ;)

    I have a large elf palette and it is the same with that one too. I'd be interested to learn why some are crumbly like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw sooooo many elf palettes at Big Lots today. Personally I'm not a neutral wearer so I passed although I may have to go back b/c they did have a 30 color palette for 5 bucks. Still thinking on it. I need more makeup like, well.... you get the picture I'm sure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your talking sbout the elf "black little book" palette it is much better than this one IMO..the colors do not seem so crumbly.. I have both and I am much more happy with that black book One.. Plus its so small & cute!!

      Delete
  4. LOL @ "the palette after multiple uses"!

    THAT is why I don't buy elf shadows anymore. It's a frustrating mess that winds up all over. Want some nice neutral browns? Maybelline has several beautiful quads that are almost the same price, and much nicer to work with.

    All the reviews on ELF's new baked shadows have been really good though. I may give those a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Neutrals are my favorite and I actually have more neutrals than I know what to do with at this point. But somehow I always end up buying more. It's a sickness. Lol

      Delete
  5. I had high hopes for this palette, but I so agree.. This palette Is lacking in the quality category--because it's crumbly, it's very hard to apply& fallout is an issue :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad you had the same experience, but glad you share my opinion! Lol!

      Delete
  6. Those colors are really pretty and they remind me a lot of the UD Natural palette. I've never use e.l.f. eye shadows before, and I'm kind of into a cream eyeshadow phase right now, but they are pretty. The fallout though is not cool! I'm definitely not a fan of crumbles everywhere! <3

    toni

    ReplyDelete
  7. the brown reminds me of urban decay's buck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I think you're right! Thank you so much--I'm going to find my UD Naked palette and do a comparison ASAP. If it's a dupe, I'll do a post and credit you for the discovery! Thanks a million, hun! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad I passed on this the other day! I saw this at Big Lots when I was checking the makeup aisle for the Physicians Wear foundation.

    Don't get me wrong, I love ELF--some of their products are great at a super cheap price. However, for me their eyeshadow palettes are a mixed bag. Some of the shadows willl be crumbly and/ or lack pigment while others are smooth and pigmented. Unfortunately, I haven't had a palette that was consistent in terms of quality. That's disappointing, considering it's usually the colors that I'm most excited to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to express how much I love your blog, and how thankful I am for what I imagine is a HUGE amount of time and energy spent on it every week.

    This is my favorite makeup/beauty/nail site online, hands down, because it provides very thorough reviews and swatches! I just love every post I read on here, and have learned alot from you and the readers. I wanted you to know that all of your hard work makes me very happy!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! Thank you SO much for that incredibly sweet comment!! xo

      And I agree...I learn SO much from my readers it's not even funny! So glad to have you part of this little community! :)

      Delete
  10. I'm not a fan of ELF shadows either. I find they often lack pigment and the texture usually leaves much to be desired, whether it is chalky, crumbly, hard, falls out--you name it, and the palettes tend to be worse than the singles or quads. They need to step their game up, because if WnW can produce great shadow at their ultra-low prices, I think ELF could cough up a decent formula. I hate when budget makeup feels like budget makeup, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Their makeup can be very hit or miss. I've been disappointed with all of their eyeshadows (I haven't tried them all but quite a few). They are either not pigmented enough or they crumble like yours did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a similar palette that was released for the holidays called the party palette. It's even similar hit and miss with the pigmentation, glitterbombs, etc. The only difference is the colors are two unpigmented light shades, two purply shades, a gray, and a black. I think they must be in the same "series" or whatever you would call it when a company makes a few or a bunch of similar palettes but with different shades in them. I like the big palettes that elf puts out with every color you can think of, just because I like having some crazy colors to experiment with, without breaking the bank on higher priced better quality stuff when I don't even know if the color will look good on me. So they are great if you just like to play with makeup and do fun eye looks once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought this exact palette the other day from the website and I can honestly say that I use it more than my naked palette! it isn't as glittery/metalic, andt he color payoff is wonderful (I believe elf improved its formula drastically.. we all know that elf can be quite inconsistent with the quality of its products). The only dud in the palette for me is the middle color on the first row, it's literally chunky glitter suspended in a clear base :/

    However, the third shade in the first row IS TO DIE FOR. It's buttery, smooth, pigmented without being powdery like a lot of elf shadows... and its.. just.. amazing. I'd pay $5 just for that shadow i tell you! :p

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig