Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Holy Grail nail file

If I had a dime for every nail file that's let me down over the years, I'd probably have enough money to double my current nail polish stash. I won't bore you with how many different nail files have failed me in the past 20+ years (glass, traditional, metal, you name it), because I'm too excited to share with you my Holy Grail Nail File, which I purchased at Sally Beauty about two years ago:

ASP Angle Zebra Board (180/180 grit)
(retail: $1.19 at Sally Beauty; Beauty Club price: $0.99)

ASP Angle Zebra Board (180/180 grit): Great for shaping and refining the nail enhancements. Diamond shape with 2 different shaped ends allows you to get into the hard to reach sidewalls or shape the free edges.
As you can see, my ASP nail file has seen better days when it comes to how it looks. But even though it looks downright fugly at this point, it is still going strong after two years of continuous use. When I say "going strong", I mean that the edges of this file (which are always the first to go with any nail file) have managed to retain their grit even after hundreds of uses. Don't you hate it when you go to use a nail file and all the grit on the edges is gone? That is one of my biggest pet peeves, and I simply cannot believe that the grit on this ASP file has lasted so long. It feels like a smooth, brand new file every time I use it, even on the edges where it matters most. Oh! And the sandpaper hasn't peeled or lifted from the board, even after two years, which is another smal miracle.

I have to say that this little $0.99 nail file has been the best investment I have ever made when it comes to caring for my nails. It's like a Timex watch: it truly takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

I just wanted to share that with you in case you have issues with finding good nail files. I bought my ASP Zebra Board 180/180 Grit File in-store at my local Sally Beauty, but you can also purchase it online here. I highly recommend it.

What's your favorite nail file? 

PS: Ha! I just noticed that there's one review on the Sally website for this file, and the reviewer is also from San Diego. Although "nursegordon" is not me, I feel like I should write a glowing review of this product on the Sally site! Nursegordon, if you're out there, I'm glad you like this file too!
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. I have an ASP glass file and can attest that their glass files are just as trusty. I love products that live at the intersection of Cheap and Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, thats why I love trying out e.l.f. products, so cheap and most of them are awesome! The few that have let me down... oh well, it was either $1 or $3!
      Btw, love that saying- "the intersection of Cheap and Awesome" haha, great.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the recommendation! I get the disposable files from Sally Beauty, but the ones I buy seem to die really quickly, so I'm definitely going to look for this one next time I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this! I need a new file but I'm tired of buying ones that just get worn out after a few weeks. I was thinking of ordering a couple of glass ones off Amazon but there's no telling if they're actually glass and I've had "glass" files wear out quickly. A buck is pretty good for two years. And I really like the ladies at my local Sally :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. never tried these, but just bought a crystal nail file that I really like so far. i've only had it about a week though, so we'll see if thats still true in a few weeks or so, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a glass nail file I picked up from the QVS beauty line. I've had it for almost a year now and still good as new. :) It's much gentler on my nails than the emery board ones my mom uses. Also, it comes in a little black travel pouch! Always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you order from there I was checking out the site but there is no order button OR pricing.

      Delete
  6. I received a Julep file that came with one of my Julep Maven boxes. I have no idea what type of material it is, or what size grit (one side is smoother than the reverse), but it's the best thing to me since sliced bread. I've always used emery boards from the drugstore, but since using this Julep file, my nails are stronger and not breaking or peeling the way they used to. I should find out what it's made of. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fine is the grit? I hate a file that is too rough. I love the soft pink ones I get at Sally but I have to replace them so often, so a long lasting file would be great to have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am in love with my essie crystal file (which is no longer made) and managed to get one on ebay this week. however, i will definitely check out the asp file when get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was planning to go to Sally's next week for various nail related stuff, including a new file, so this is perfect! I'm definitely going to look for this one, it sounds amazing! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just complaining a few days ago that my regular drug store 1.49$ file lasted all the three manicures before it decided to rip right down the middle! I will give this one a shot for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are still rocking a 2 year old nail file and it looks and performs that well, I am sold! Fortunately a new Sally has opened on my end of town and next time through I will be totally picking one up! Thanks G.! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the glass ones, no particular brand tho!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm surprised by your review! I bought an ASP glass file on my birthday 20 days ago and in two weeks it had major bald spots. I won't ever buy this brand again :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glass files *never* work for me, so I'm not surprised by your results!

      Delete
  14. I'm going to pick this up ASAP! I heard awesome things about glass nail files and sorry, I just don't have the patience for those. I don't like them. They feel like they have no grit at all. Then the paper files only last a few manicures on me before they're done. I'm kinda excited about this lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I buy glass Cheeky files off Amazon for a good price... The only problem is that I keep breaking them, though that's from dropping them, sitting on them, etc. and has nothing to do with them breaking during use, which they don't do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm using a glass nail file Aveniro and it's great. Very gentle, lasts forever and has a lovely design with Swarovski crystals. I can really recommend it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig