Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, August 19, 2012

Maybelline Limited Edition Fall 2012 Fashion Week Color Show Nail Colors (pics & comparisons)

The only remaining part of the Maybelline Fall 2012 Fashion Week Collection that I haven't shown you (click here for the Color Tattoos and here for the lip colors, shadow quads and more), the LE Color Show polishes are causing a bit of a stir since there seem to be some dupes here. So let's take a closer look and, further down the post, I'll show you some reader-submitted comparison swatches:

Reader Amelania found this display at Rite Aid and was nice enough to share some pics:

image credit: Amelania for Nouveau Cheap
Maybelline Limited Edition Fall 2012 Fashion Week Color Show Nail Colors
(retail: around $3.99 each at Rite Aid)

 Note: as with all drugstores, prices vary from region to region, so these may not be $3.99 at your Rite Aid.


 image credit: Amelania for Nouveau Cheap 

Left to Right: Boho Gold, Metal Icon, Pink Cosmo, Avante Green, Auburn Ablaze (not pictured: Downtown Brown)

image credit: Amelania for Nouveau Cheap

Reader CM purchased five of these polishes recently and was nice enough to do some comparisons. Before I get to those, I wanted to mention something about the brown shade in this collection, Downtown Brown (not pictured above). This color instantly reminded me of the Purple Trend, which was a limited edition shade in the Maybelline Fall 2011 Fashion Week Collection. I believe that one of you mentioned the similarities between these two shades as well (if that was you, please leave a comment so I can thank you!). 

Anyway, I actually own Purple Trend from the 2011 collection, and based on the swatches I've seen of Downtown Brown, they are close, but the hidden shimmer in Downtown Brown is teal, whereas the hidden shimmer in Purple Trend is blue. Since I own Purple Trend, I will do a swatch comparison post as soon as I get my hands on Downtown Brown. To see bottle shots of Purple Trend, click here.

Now for some comparisons from reader CM:

image credit: CM for Nouveau Cheap
Top: Maybelline Downtown Brown
Bottom: NYX Girls Smoldering

CM writes:

I wanted to compare maybelline downtown brown to NYX Girls smoldering since they both remind me of MAC Club eyeshadow and its many dupes.


image credit: CM for Nouveau Cheap 
 Maybelline on left. Lighter, less red, and a much stronger duochrome.

image credit: CM for Nouveau Cheap 
 Left: China Glaze Unpredictable
Right: Maybelline Avante Green

CM writes:

I was wrong about (Avante Green) being a Deviantly Daring dupe. Here is China Glaze Unpredictable vs. Maybelline Avante Green - The Maybelline is the tiniest bit brighter but they are pretty much exact dupes! I am regretting purchasing CG unpredictable because I actually like the Maybelline one better.
 
image credit: CM for Nouveau Cheap 
China Glaze Unpredictable on top
Maybelline Avante Green on bottom

image credit: CM for Nouveau Cheap 
Top: Maybelline Boho Gold 
 Bottom: OPI Just Spotted A Lizard (Chanel Peridot dupe)

CM writes:

They're NOT dupes like i thought they'd be. Maybelline is much bronzier.

image credit: CM for Nouveau Cheap 
Top: OPI Just Spotted A Lizard (Chanel Peridot dupe)
Bottom: Maybelline Boho Gold 

 
image credit: CM for Nouveau Cheap 
 Top: China Glaze Swanky Silk
Bottom: Maybelline Pink Cosmo

CM writes:

They look identical in the bottle. The Maybelline is much more sheer than the China Glaze. I put on a second coat here and after two coats they were nearly identical. The Maybelline reads slightly more pink, I think because the duochrome is more apparent.

 

image credit: CM for Nouveau Cheap 
Left: Maybelline Pink Cosmo
Right: China Glaze Swanky Silk

To see additional swatches of these polishes plus more dupe comparisons (including Auburn Ablaze), check out Emi's blog post here.

Thanks so much, Amelania and CM, for the great pics and info. I really appreciate it!

Have you spotted/purchased any of these limited edition Color Show polishes yet? Thoughts?
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. Thanks for the swatches. I'm lemming Downtown Brown, it reminds me of an old Covergirl polish I had when I was a tween. Hopefully I can find these in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I don't know how I missed Downtown Brown! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally found these yesterday at the third or forth Rite Aid I hit. I bought Downtown Brown, Pink Cosmo, Boho Gold, and Avante Green. Now I just need to find the lipsticks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to add, if anyone has been having trouble finding these displays, I spotted the polish and color tattoo displays at Christmas Tree Shops yesterday. Still haven't found the eye shadow display!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought the whole China Glaze Boho collection so I think I can pass on all these. Which is good for my wallet, because I've been spending way too much on polish lately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn, there are no Rite Aid stores in Florida. I can't wait to see these in person----maybe Walgreens will have them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have rite aid here in houston, tx but I've been stalking cvs, walgreens, target AND walmart and still no sign of any! Hope it shows up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snagged the Avante Green after looking at 3 Rite-Aid stores (1 in the Portland, OR area and 2 in Olympia, WA where I got it) I have only one other green in my collection, and this one looks mighty tasty! I'll be sporting it soon. Just as soon as it cools off in the PNW so my polish doesn't get all bubbly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nooo! I'm so sad when I read of good stuff at Rite Aid. We don't have them here in Minneapolis! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is hope! I am in Minneapolis too and I found them today at the CVS in Stadium Village next to the University of Minnesota! There was a big display of all the Maybelline Fall Fashion Week items - I got Downtown Brown. This is the only CVS I've seen it at, and it's hard to get to with all of the construction, but they DO have it there!

      Delete
    2. I found them in MInneapolis today! They are at the CVS in Stadium Village near the University of Minnesota, on Washington Ave. It's hard to get to because of all the construction in the area, but there's a big Maybelline Fall Fashion week display endcap. This is the only CVS I've seen these at in the area. I had to get Downtown Brown. Go get some!

      Delete
    3. I found them in MInneapolis today! They are at the CVS in Stadium Village near the University of Minnesota, on Washington Ave. It's hard to get to because of all the construction in the area, but there's a big Maybelline Fall Fashion week display endcap. This is the only CVS I've seen these at in the area. I had to get Downtown Brown. Go get some!

      Delete
    4. I found them in MInneapolis today! They are at the CVS in Stadium Village near the University of Minnesota, on Washington Ave. It's hard to get to because of all the construction in the area, but there's a big Maybelline Fall Fashion week display endcap. This is the only CVS I've seen these at in the area. I had to get Downtown Brown. Go get some!

      Delete
  11. Downtown Brown reminds me a bit of the eyeshadow in the Wet n Wild "Comfort Zone" palette. I don't know the name, but it's reddish brown with a green sort of shift. Pretty !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm... Do you think Boho Gold is similar to Deborah Lippmann Swagga Like Us? I'm not sure but they seem like they might be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the one who swatched it and I think it might be an exact dupe! I've never owned a high end polish but comparing my bottle/swatches to Scrangies photos of Swagga Like Us made me think they are probably dupes :)

      Delete
  13. I got the Boho Gold polish the other day. Be warned it is very shear. I had to do about 3 coats to get the color. It's more of a goldish- bronze on the nail and there isn't much of the duo chrome color that the bottle shows. Very pretty color, but very shear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have Avante Green on right now and it is beautiful, though there is a bit of visible nail line after three coats and next time I will probably put it over a complementary green to bring it up. Note to Emily-- try Boho Gold over brown or black. That will take care of the sheer issue. You may only need two coats then.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just bought all of these today! I didn't know about a nail polish sale but these 6 polishes were the only things I bought and I got $6 in +Up Rewards so they must be running something.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found the whole display at CVS, although I almost missed it, as it was in an odd spot. I'm in western Montana.

    Got the Mahogany and Mossy Green Color Tattoo eyeshadows, and the Downtown Brown and Metal Icon nail polishes. Very autumn! Just swatched the polishes on my nail wheels and I think I'm going to love them both. :-D

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig