Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, July 27, 2012

Review & swatches: Sally Hansen Smooth and Perfect Color + Care Nail Polish

Today I'd like to show you some swatches and give you my thoughts about the Sally Hansen Smooth and Perfect Color + Care Collection. I received some samples a while back, and while I realize this collection is not new, I thought that you might want to know a little bit more about it in case you've been considering a purchase.

There are eight shades in this collection and I received five for review:

Sally Hansen Smooth and Perfect Color + Care Nail Polish
(retail: around $5.50 each, 0.45 oz)


This breakthrough nail color hides ridges and imperfections with a breathable porcelain-smooth finish. Enhanced with ginseng, camelia oil and lotus to promote stronger, healthier nails.

Application Tips:
  • Shake gently. Apply 2-3 coats of nail color.
Benefits:
  • Allows 20% more oxygen to reach nails
  • Streak-free formula
  • Patented formula
  • 8 barely there shades

Notice how Sally Hansen suggests you apply 2-3 coats of nail color? I would definitely take this suggestion to heart (more on that in a minute). Also, as stated above, these polishes promise to hide ridges and imperfections with a "breathable porcelin-smooth finish". 


All of the following swatches were taken after three coats of polish and no top coat.

FOG:

outdoors

Fog really surprised me. I usually can't pull off stark white polishes, but this one has just a drop or two of beige to it, making it much more wearable. It also has a pretty, hidden shimmer to it that you can't really see in the bottle. It comes out much better when on the nail.

 indoors

DUNE:

 outdoors

Dune is a milky beige with, again, some hidden shimmer to it. The brush marks you see below are NOT visible in real life--they're very pronounced in extreme close-up but I honestly can't see a single brush-stroke on any of my nails with my naked eye.

 indoors

LINEN:

 outdoors

Linen looks like a milky peach in the bottle but on the nail it actually doesn't look too different than Fog. I'd say that if you have one, you probably don't need the other. This color, as well, has hidden shimmer to it that comes out when on the nail.

 indoors

AIR:

 outdoors

Air is a gorgeous pastel sky blue with (surprise surprise) hidden shimmer. This was one had some application issues though. There was a good amount of bubbling to this polish (more on that in a minute) and it's also a bit streaky.

indoors

Sorbet:


The hidden shimmer in Sorbet is so well-hidden that it really only comes out in direct sunlight. Indoors, this looks like a straight-up creme. I really wanted to like Sorbet, but I found the formula to be streaky and not as easy to work with as the other colors.


Fog, Dune, Linen, Air, Sorbet
  •  As indicated on the Sally Hansen website, these polishes require 2-3 coats. Even after three coats, you'll still be able to see some visible nail line with these polishes.
  • All of the polishes I received for review contain hidden shimmer. Some of the colors look like cremes in the bottle, and the shimmer only comes out when the polish is on the nail (and sometimes in direct sunlight--sometimes you can't see the shimmer at all when you're indoors).
  • As for the claim that these polishes promise to hide ridges and imperfections, I'd say they do that quite well after three coats, but then again, a lot of polishes can hide ridges after three coats.
  • Air and Sorbet were streaky in addition to being sheer. My favorite of the bunch is definitely Fog--it really surprised me. I normally don't go for white polishes but this one is very wearable.
  • Dry time is decent on these--not excessively long but keep in mind that three coats take longer to dry than one of two. The brush that comes with these polishes is very similar (if not identical) to the Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure brushes (wide, flat and tapered). I LOVE the bottles in this collection. They're perfect squares and they stack up very neatly when stored. 

Now I'd like to talk about the bubbling issue: If you look closely at my swatches above, you'll see some bubbling in just about every photo. Sometimes these polishes bubble and sometimes they don't. When I did these swatches, it was very warm and I had a fan going in the room (fans usually lead to bubbling, in my experience) so I know that contributed to the issue. However, I have applied these polishes in cooler weather and sometimes they bubble, while other times they don't. I think that it really depends on how long you wait between coats. When I'm using a "three-coater" I tend to get impatient and not wait as long between the 2nd and 3rd coat as I should. But if I take my time and apply thin coats and wait a few minutes between each coat, that seems to eliminate the bubbling. I just don't want to say, "these polishes bubble" when in fact, they only bubble for me sometimes.

FINAL VERDICT: If you don't mind applying three coats and you can pick these up on sale, they might be worth considering (if any of the shades appeal to you). Just know going into it that these are sheer colors that look their best after three coats, and you need to allow each coat to dry before applying the next (to avoid bubbling). My favorite of the bunch is Fog because, even though it's white, it has just a touch of beige in it to make it very wearable. I wouldn't recommend this collection to those of you who like to "polish and go" because they do require some extra effort and they are not "one coat and you're out the door" types of polishes. But if you're a sucker for soft, subtle colors and hidden shimmer and you don't mind taking your time with these, I'd say get them when they're on sale at the drugstore.

Do you own any Smooth and Perfect polishes? I'd love to hear your thoughts about them.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. I only have Sorbet and I really love it! The only other peach I had was Essie A Crewed Interest and it leaned too pink on me.

    It's funny that Sorbet was so streaky for you when I found it a dream to work with, especially compared to the Essie which was a streaky mess for me. Maybe different batches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree- Sorbet had no streakiness and perfect opacity in two coats. I wish they had more colors...

      Delete
    2. I agree as well. Like you, I have both Sorbet and Essie A Crewed Interest, and I found Sorbet to be one hundred times better than the Essie polish. I experienced no problems whatsoever with Sorbet and it's easily one of my favorite polishes, while A Crewed Interest can only be described as, well, a hot mess. Coincidence?

      Delete
  2. I found these at ross for 1.99!! Such a steal. I got fog and sorbet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the swatches! Target clearanced this line out awhile ago to make room for Sinful Colors. I had a blue and purple in my hands and put them back. I regret that now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own Fog, but I haven't used it yet. Tsk, tsp, yes I know. I have too many new polishes that have yet to have their inaugural run on my nails!

    I feel happy that I happened to pick the one you like best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw these at Ross for $1.99 each last weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got sorbet and the mint color one lol got them in buy-one-get-one-50% off and found $1 coupons on the display so it was a good deal but they are too sheer and I'm to impatient =[[

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Air is so gorgeous. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Sorbet and I've only worn it once for a reason. It's up for swap for me! I just didn't enjoy the formula - it bubbled a lot for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw these at Ross too and passed them up. Why I don't know! I really like all of them now that I see swatches. Oh well I think I will raid the clearance rack at Target!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found these on clearance at Kmart today for 2.99, so if you don't have a Ross near you (wish I did) you might be able to get these cheaper. It was all I could do not to get all 8! But I am such a sucker for light colors with shimmer. Maybe I'll pick up the others next week...

    ReplyDelete
  11. How does Sorbet compare to the LE NYC Peach Sparkle color wise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're completely different. Sorbet is much lighter, and the shimmer is not gold like with peach sparkle. Also, the shimmer is more pronounced in peach sparkle. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  12. I have Satin (light pink) and like it OK. It's sheer too but it really does have a "porcelain-smooth finish." I'm skeptical of the claims about more oxygen reaching your nails -- how do they measure that, and does it really matter?? I thought these were overpriced at the original SRP but if you can find them on sale they'd be good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a pink color, and I get bubbling every time. I don't usually have that issue as much with my other polishes. Otherwise I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, Air reminds me of SC Cinderella. The rest of the shades look interesting. I'll wait for a sale and look at them in person. I really don't mind VNL. I like the lighter colors; they look clean and crisp, like summer linens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have Linen, and I have found it to bubble as well. I do like using one coat over a French tip. It's just enough pigment and shine to finish off that look. And I've found the formula to be really nice to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have Sea, and I really didn't like it. Even after three coats there was still really little color. I hated the formula too. The color of Sea is really similar to Essie's Absolutely Shore and I would much rather use the Essie than the Sally Hansen one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Thanks for all the good feedback, everyone! It sounds like a batch issue, since several of you said sorbet works beautifully for you and it SO didn't for me! Now i'm jealous that I got a stinker when a better formula exists!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These were in the bargain bin at K-Mart today. I don't remember the exact price but it was under $5. I've been to a few different K-Marts this week and each has different sale items.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for reviewing these G. I've been holding out on buying them because I hadn't seen any reviews (hadn't actually looked for any either though). I was so hoping for a nice opaque pastel and lighter shades polish, but this is not it. I just can't do much more than two coats and even that is pushing it with my painful neck and back.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig