Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, June 7, 2012

Some Sinful Colors blues and greens: a comparison

When it comes to the world of drugstore limited edition nail polishes, I always seem to be filled with regret. Regret that I either DIDN'T purchase an LE color before it disappeared forever, or regret that I DID purchase an LE color, only to bring it home and find that I already own a very similar shade. Of course there are those times when I'm extremely overjoyed with a drugstore LE nail color purchase, but regret purchases (or non-purchases) continue to be a reality for me...and I don't think this will end anytime soon!

So today, I wanted to show you some colors I bought a while ago, from the Sinful Colors Spring 2012 Limited Edition Cast Away Collection. There might be a few lingering displays out there at various Walgreens locations, but for the most post these have gone bye-bye. I'm not showing them to you to make you sad (if you missed them), but rather I want to show you how similar some of these shades are, which might make you feel good if you missed them!

OH! And before I forget: there's a display out at Walgreens NOW that contains two shades from the Summer 2011 Limited Edition Adventure Island collection: Star Fish and Open Seas. So if you missed those two shades last summer and want them, head over to your local Walgreens right away and look for the summer display (I think it's called "Bikini" something or other). Also, I apologize if you've emailed/commented/sent pics to me of that display--I am so behind on everything right now, but I thank you for the heads-up!


I threw in Mint Apple (which is an older, core collection shade that you can find in the permanent display at both Walgreens and Rite Aid) just as a point of reference since many of you probably already own this shade:


As you can see, Athens and Greek Isles are very similar--I think Athens just has a touch more of a grayish, dusty quality about it. Be Happy is another one of those Tiffany Blue shades (think China Glaze For Audrey, Wet n Wild I need a Refresh-Mint, etc.).

So really, the one that truly stands out to me, and is a must-have, is actually Mint Apple! I've owned this polish for years now, and I'm still in love with that subtle gold shimmer. So stunning on the nail, and unlike any other polish in my ridiculously large nail polish collection.


Next up, I thought I'd show you Neptune (also an LE shade from the Cast Away Collection) next to a similar core collection shade from Milani, Sail Away:

 

Neptune is very sheer and rather streaky (these pics were taken after four coats), while Milani Sail Away, though a darker denim blue, is quite opaque after two coats.


If you like these types of blues, I think Milani Sail Away is the one to get, so you really didn't miss out if you didn't catch Neptune.


So...did I squash any lemmings? Thoughts?

The Milani polish was provided to Nouveau Cheap for a previous review. All other polishes featured in this post were purchased with personal funds.
SHARE:

32 comments

  1. Athens and Greek Isles are so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! But I don't think you probably need both. :)

      Delete
  2. I think you may have gotten a bad bottle of Neptune. I almost got away with one coat. I just needed a thing second coat for it to be opaque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that's SO good to know! Thank you!! :)

      Delete
  3. Mint Apple is my favorite too! I must add it to my ever-growing nail polish to buy list xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girlie, you need some Mint Apple in your life! Lol! :)

      Delete
  4. I never found citrine LE ever. I so want that shade. So if anyone has one or can get me one let me know. I need that color. Thanks. I own all those SC colors. I love them all. Even if they are similar. I need to find starfish now. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comparison of the SC greens as well as the heads up about the Adventure Island colors. Just to save people the search, both the Adventure Island colors you mentioned were near dupes of OPI Pirates of the Caribbean colors. Starfish=OPI Sparrow Me the Drama and Open Seas= Mermaid's Tears. I will definitely be getting Starfish when I see it, since I have all the other colors in the POtC collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the dupe reminder! I totally forgot to mention that in my post! :)

      Delete
  6. Love Mint Apple...that is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this comparison! You should do more of these!

    <3 Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the request and I definitely will! In fact, I just posted links to many of my past polish comparisons today, if you'd like to take a look! :)

      Delete
  8. I have just learned about SC polishes...........from this blog! I have not actually purchased any of the polishes yet because I just assumed they would not wear as well as OPI and other brands. I know that sometimes it can be hit or miss but would appreciate a general review of the SC line.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really do general polish reviews because the colors of polishes vary so much with a given line, but I definitely think SC has some amazing things to offer. If you're interested in particular shades, I would suggest jotting down the shade names and then googling reviews...that way you can see if they're worth your while before making a purchase. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  9. I still love my Mint Apple. Funny trend seems to happening with the collections. Its like SC company is reproducing colors and then throwing in a touch of grey and calling it a day. But at least it gives us chance to get colors that we may have missed with only a tiny difference. Also for collecting newbies, it gives them a nice start!!! :) Maybe you could do another comparison of colors again soon? Maybe pinks? Or pale blues/turquoise? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you mention that! Given the fact that Revlon purchased Sinful Colors last summer, it's no surprise that they're doing shades that differ just slightly. If you caught my comparison of Revlon Surf vs Revlon Chic, the difference between those two shades is just a splash of gray. Good observation!

      And I'll definitely keep your requests in mind...I just posted some links to some of my older comparisons if you missed them the first time. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for this swatch! I have WnW "I need a refresh-mint" and "mint apple" seemed too similar to justify the purchase (99 cents, lol) but that gold shimmer is gorgeous!!!! So I will be purchasing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I definitely don't think they're too similar...you need Mint Apple! Lol! :)

      Delete
  11. I hear you about buying colors that are too similar to each other. I was on a blue/green kick about a month ago and ended up with 4 SC bottles that were just way too close to each other. Oh well - at least they're only 1.99 a bottle. That's why I love Sinful Colors! I do have Mint Apple - just haven't worn it yet. Thanks for the feedback....now I can't wait to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! And girlie, you need to bust our your Mint Apple ASAP! Lol!! ;)

      Delete
  12. Wow, my Sinful Colors Neptune is a one coater! You must have gotten a wonky bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! It sure sounds like it! Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  13. I, too, have very recently jumped on the SC bandwagon, and I thought it was a new line (I gotta get out more!). Anyway, there's another minty-sage green I bought last week @ Walgreens. It's called Open Seas, and it really is more sage green than mint, but it's lovely, a nice spring color, and for some strange reason, it was housed with the SC neons. And it was supposed to be there, because there were many there, so it's not like someone just left it there. Point being, it's another similar color to those above, so if anyone sees it, and you haven't got any of the others, you might like this better.

    Also, G., my bottle of Neptune works just fine also. Sorry to say it may be just your batch. And did you see Zeus in the Castaway collection? A soft, dusky purple with gold and pink shimmer. Just gorgeous. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Open Seas was part of the limited edition Adventure Island collection that came out exactly one year ago:

      http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2011/06/spotted-new-products-from-sinful-colors.html

      They are dupes of the OPI Pirates collection. I bet your store had that one color left, and didn't know what to do with it, so they put it in with the neons. You lucky girl! :)

      Delete
  14. Oh---I should read before commenting, right? About the Open Seas? My bad. +/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I just wanted to explain why you found that stray shade in with the neons. :)

      Delete
  15. I love Mint Apple too but don't do what I did and buy Spoiled Toad-ally Amazing also. They are identical.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have all 4 of these greens, and of course Neptune too. I'm a total polish junkie, so I could easily justify getting them all, although I've had Mint Apple for a while now. I also only used 2 coats with Neptune, so yours has to be from a crappy batch. Seems like SC could use some help in the quality control department, because I have 2 slightly different versions of I Miss You, and I've seen at least 3 versions of Bali Mist.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now, I have no idea why I do not have Apple Mint. :/ But I do have the others.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got Sinful Colors savage today, and I love it. It's in this color range, too- but a bit more of dusty teal. I don't actually like Mint apple, I think the gold almost makes it look a little cloudy. I LOVE be happy though- I NEEEED that!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig