Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, June 11, 2012

Reader Request: Sally Hansen Snappy Sprinkles swatches

If you caught my Dollar Tree haul a few days ago, then you know I was quite overjoyed to find the Spring 2011 Limited Edition Sally Hansen Instra Dri polish Snappy Sprinkles at my local DT for $1. I had been wanting Snappy Sprinkles ever since it made its debut in drugstores over a year ago, but I never expected to find it so many months later, at Dollar Tree.

Reader Angel requested some swatches on bare nails and I'm always happy to take swatch requests! She said that all of the current swatches online were done over a base color, so I thought I'd show you Snappy Sprinkles four ways. Hopefully this will help you determine whether or not this one's worth the hunt!

One coat of Snappy Sprinkles over a pink creme, a green creme, on my bare nail and over a white creme. I also applied one layer of Seche Vite top coat to each nail:


Contrary to what my pictures indicate, the predominant two colors in this polish are pink and green. When this polish is on the nail (regardless of my base color or even just on my naked nail) all I see is pink and green bar glitter. Don't get me wrong--I LOVE that this contains pink and green bar glitter, but I don't want you to think that the rose gold and copper colors that are coming out in my photos actually translate to the nail, because they don't. *shakes fist at camera*


And that mysterious, cloudy base that you see in the bottle? Not so mysterious or cloudy when on the nail. The base of this polish is essential just clear, but it does have a TINY bit of tint to it (more on that in a moment).


The base of this polish is very watery, and the glitter is not dense when on the brush. This combination means that, just like with many chunky drugstore glitters, you'll need to do some serious coaxing with your brush to get the bar glitter exactly where you want it on your nail bed. I don't think I did too bad of a job with glitter placement in these photos, which means that, if I can do it, you can definitely do it. It just takes a little time and patience.


Now back to the slightly tinted base. I circled where you can see the color difference in the photo below:


If you look to my nail painted with a white base color, you can see the line where I didn't follow through with Snappy Sprinkles all the way to edge of the base color. Hopefully you can see that the tint of Snappy Sprinkles is a very faint yellow color. It's not dramatic, but I did notice that when I layered this polish over a blue-toned bubblegum pink (see my pinky finger), it made the pink shade look a bit warmer.

So, do you NEED Snappy Sprinkles? Well if you're a fan of bar glitter and you love pink and green, then YES, you might want to try and locate this at your nearest Dollar Tree. If you don't like bar glitter, or pink and green combos, then this one's not for you. Also, if you don't have the patience to coax glitter with your brush to get it where you want it, then definitely skip this one because you definitely need some patience during application. I personally am very happy I finally got my hands on Snappy Sprinkles because I don't have another polish in my collection that even comes close.

One quick tip: I recommend applying a quick-dry top coat immediately after applying Snappy Sprinkles. Otherwise, due to it being so watery, you'll have to wait forever for it to dry. A top coat like Seche Vite really cuts the dry time in half (or more).

I hope this post helped, Angel!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Very fitting name as it reminds me of sprinkles. Looks great over the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, I think I'm going to try to go to DT today and see if they have this.

    How long did it take to dry, though? You said it took a while, but it's calld Insta Dri- so I was just wondering how long it took:)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because, you have to apply a thicker coat, due to the glitter, it takes longer for this one to dry than if you were applying a non-glittery Insta Dri. I didn't time it, but noticed that several minutes after application, this polish was still tacky to the touch. So if you use a fast dry tip coat, it really cuts down on the dry time.

      Delete
  3. I looked for Snappy Sprinkles this weekend but didn't find any. Maybe it was a good thing since I am just about over fishing for glitter. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol at ” fishing for glitter”! I love that. :)

      Delete
  4. I think this looks great on your nails. And my favorite? Over your bare nails. And I have a feeling I wouldn't like this polish as much over long nails.

    Maybe I am biased because I have shorties all the time (aka I couldn't grow my nails even if my life depended on it) but I really do think some looks are better on short nails. And this is one of those times.

    Thanks again for being so responsive to your readers' requests. I don't know how you do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know what you mean! It seems like long, bar glitter might be a little much on super long nails...is that what you mean? And yeah, I couldn't grow my nails long if my life depended on it either! Ha!

      And you are SO sweet to say that. I wish I had more hours in the day to respond to more reader requests, but I do what I can! :) xo

      Delete
  5. I saw this and passed simply due to the yellowish color of the base polish, I was worried it might be old. In retrospect, I should have picked it up. Can't win 'em all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well! I guess it just wasn't meant to be! :)

      Delete
  6. I always pick this up when I see it and then put it back down, but after seeing these I really want it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well I hope you like it if you end up getting it! :)

      Delete
  7. OMG G I can't believe you did this. Well again you are TOTALLY AWESOME ;) Thank you SO much. I didn't imagine such a thorough and detailed review. It was great, I keep reading it over and over again LOL Which means for me that I will have to get my hands on this one :)

    I actually like it best on bare nails at I think it gives a more cleaner look. I just told my cousin earlier today to pick it up for me as she said they have it at her store!

    I'm so excited to try this out and the fact that it's a LE too makes me even more excited :)

    Again I want to thank you for taking the time to do this for me and everyone else who was curious... This means so much to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!! I was hoping you'd see this!! :)

      And you are SO welcome, hun! I'm so happy I could help and show you what this looks like on bare nails. The fact that you now want it just makes it even better! I hope you get it SOON! Enjoy! xoxo

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig