Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, January 24, 2012

From the Vintage Vault


 Thanks to so many of you for requesting that I bring back this series. I love the fact that you enjoy looking at old makeup and beauty products as much as I do, so I'm thrilled to let you know that I still have a few gems in my stash to show you over the next several months!

For new readers, my Vintage Vault series was born after I discovered a long-lost box of my own personal makeup and beauty products from the late 1980s through the earlier 2000s. One day I was cleaning out some boxes in my spare bedroom and stumbled across a box that I had managed to take with me from home to home over the years, never to open. When I opened the box, much to my surprise, it contained beauty products that I must have coveted back in the day (you know, products you love but don't want to use because, well, you just love them so much?). I figured I'd share a few of these little gems with you, so I created my Vintage Vault series.

If you would like to check out my previous Vintage Vault posts, click here 
(be sure click "older posts" when you get to the end of the page or you'll miss my post featuring the original Sinful Colors, Wet n Wild and Zoya bottles!)

Today I've got some fragrance gems from Bath & Body Works, The Body Shop and Yves Rocher to share with you, so let's get started.

Bath & Body Works Cool Citrus Lily Body Lotion
(circa 2003?)

Per the bottle:  

"A hint of key lime mixes perfectly with clementine, coriander and water lily in this unmistakably summer scent"

I'm guessing on the age of this one, but I THINK it was right around 2003. Cool Citrus Lily was part of BBW's LE Summer Collection for that year (I can't recall the names of the other fragrances) and the price of this lotion, per the bottle, was $9 (Limited Edition lotions from BBW are now $11).


When this LE Summer collection released, I remember that I just fell in LOVE with the groovy 70s design of the packaging (remember, this was when most BBW products still had the "country" theme to them, so this was quite a departure). I'm a sucker for anything with a brown/orange/lime green color scheme, so I just remember freaking out when I first saw this collection at my local BBW.

As for the scent, this  remains one of my very  favorites from BBW, to this day. I LOVE the key lime notes in this fragrance (it's not heavy on lily as you might think) and I really wish they'd bring it back.

Citrus Rush and Cosmic Candy Body Sprays from The Body Shop
(circa 1998?)

I am totally guessing on the age of these body sprays from The Body Shop, but I'm pretty confident they're from the late 1990s. I think there was a green body spray and also a blue body spray in this collection, which I believe I owned as well.

I just loved the space theme of this collection and anything named "Cosmic Candy" is an immediate must-have in my book! 


Cosmic Candy was kind of like the predecessor to all of the "sugar" and "candy" fragrances that are so commonplace today. I remember seeing the word "candy" in the title and being in absolute awe--you just didn't see things like this in the 90s! I think this explains why these bottles are still quite full--I remember that I absolutely coveted them back in the day and never wanted to actually use them.

I took a quick sniff of both Cosmic Candy and Citrus Rush and they actually smell exactly as I remember them from back in the day. Cosmic Candy is a sweet, candy-like fragrance mixed with a little bit of white floral and I also pick up a distinctive black tea note. Citrus Rush smells sort of like an orange-vanilla-ice-cream popscicle but not as sugary-sweet as you'd expect. They're something else going on there that I can't quite put my finger on.

Yves Rocher Vanille Pistache Eau de Toilette
(circa 2000?)

Speaking of predecessors, Vanilla Pistache from Yves Rocher was the VERY FIRST FRAGRANCE I ever saw with the word "pistachio" in the title. Until then, pistachio just wasn't a note you saw in fragrances, body lotions, soaps, etc., even though today it's quite commomplace. It was so intriguing to me that I remember placing an online order the moment I saw it on the Yves Rocher website.


Sadly, this fragrance "turned" in the years since I purchased it, and now it has a sharp scent to it that is not like my original memories of the fragrance. Waaah! I remember it being rich, creamy, nutty and sweet--exactly as you'd expect for a vanilla and pistachio fragrance.

Thanks for taking this trip down memory lane with me! If you remember (or owned) any of the above fragrances, I would LOVE to hear from you!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. I"m so glad you brought this series back I always really liked it. So cool to see your old favorites :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this series I will look through the older posts! Posts like this make me go crazy trying to hunt down items that I like on ebay etc (eg the time I discovered and then tried hunting down the Be Never Too Busy to Be Beautiful cosmetics).:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series and I'm so glad you're starting it again! I am too young to remember any of these products but I love seeing how makeup has changed over time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this! That B&BW's bottle looks like something out of the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I definitely had a body glitter from that Body Shop collection... I was in sixth grade, and I wore it to a millenium themed party/dance my school held! I think I probably still have it, come to think of it! Thanks for the sweet memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vintage vault posts are my favorite! Thank you so much for bringing them back. I love checking out the old cosmetics and other beauty products, and just taking a little stroll down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute are those graphics on the Body Shop sprays?! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing the older BBW! I voted to see more Vintage Vault when you had that poll a few months ago, so I'm really glad to see this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. fun, fun!!! love the trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this series! So fun to see "vintage" beauty products. can't wait for posts like this!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you still find your vintage BBW products are still good? Mine seem to turn after even a few months and get this weird metallic smell. I could also just be really sensitive to it and smell it when others don't. But I have noticed this alot lately with their body creams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a B&BW body splash/spray from that line, I don't remember the scent... I think it's still at my parents' house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This series is great. I looked at some of the older posts and it made me nostalgic about my first beauty products that I owned, like the old Wet n Wild polishes. When I see the old Revlon polish bottles it also reminds me of my mom.

    I'm looking forward to more posts from this series!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these vintage posts, thank youuuu!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Were you accepting or interested in your readers personal "vintage vaults?" I have for whatever reason, it has followed me throughout the years as well two "Purely Silk Body Splash, Luxuries" from Bath and Body Works in Sweet Pea and Juniper Breeze (which can only be purchased online). These are in glass bottles too, I think I held onto them because of the bottles...and they were my very first purchases at BBW I am thinking circa 1999 the price tag is $16.50 each. One other product from BBW is a "Nourishing Anti Bacterial Hand Lotion" in Vanilla Bean. I remember saving these things for special occasions and now they are just amongst my things, I guess that's what happens when you grow up. Well just thought I would share, since you always keep us entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg that old Body Shop logo though! Makes me think of my mum's ancient relics in her makeup collection, including a couple of Body Shop lipsticks (they were matte black with a sort of squashed in top if that helps you date it). It's at LEAST from the early 2000's, because she used it on me when I was 6 years old. I'm now about to turn 21...

    I totally need to send you photos. It's so old that I can't find any photos of the packaging online.

    She's also got one of the Maybelline Wetshine Diamonds, which I believe was circa 2006?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing! A work colleague has a bottle of Victoria's Secret Sweet Temptation which she's always spraying about and really reminded me of this Body Shop body spray I wore at around 12/13 years old. I could not for the life of me remember the name. I guessed at something candy as it was very sweet smelling and boom, came across this post and "Cosmic Candy"! Thank you very much. Unfortunately, both are discontinued in the UK so need to find myself another smell-a-like!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig