Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, December 19, 2011

Review: Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment

A few months ago, my dear friend Yuliya sent me a random act of kindness care package and one of the things she gave me was this Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment. I'm beginning to think that Yuliya is a mind-reader because I had literally just spotted this product for the first time at my local CVS a few days before I received her package. I'm always interested in trying new glossing or finishing oils when I see them at the drugstore, and I had my eye on this one for sure. Luckily I didn't buy it though, because it showed up in my mailbox just a few days after I spotted it!

So now that I've been using it off and on for a few months, I'd love share my thoughts with you:

 Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment
(retail: $6.50, 0.34 oz)

This is the small bottle of Healing Oil Treatment, but it also comes in larger sizes. For more info check out the website here.


I've been using this product off and on (maybe once or twice a week) for a couple of months now and I still have more than half the bottle left! You really only need a tiny amount (I have long hair that goes a little past my bra strap and I only require about a dime-size amount).

The consistency of this oil is pretty standard. It's not super thick--I'd say it's more on the thin/runny side.


It has a slight amber tint to it, and the smell is what I would describe as DIVINE. I have to admit that, at first, I was sort of expecting it to smell like macadamia nuts, but it doesn't. What it does smell like is soft sandalwood, with maybe a tiny hint of patchouli as well. It's an earthy smell, but it still manages to smell quite soft and feminine. Put it this way: if you like fragrances that contain sandalwood, I think you'll like the fragrance of this oil.

For those who are new to this blog, let me give you the rundown on my hair type. As I mentioned above, I have long hair that goes a little past my bra strap. My hair is thin in texture but I have a lot of it. I have naturally wavy hair that forms soft, loose ringlets with the right products/styling, but if I don't do anything to it, it can look pretty frizzy and the curl pattern can be a little inconsistent. My hair is oily at the roots and dry at the ends and it's color-treated as well.
So really, a nice hair oil can do wonders given my hair's tendency to frizz out. I also am always looking for products to make my ends look less dry. That said, I wish I could give you some before-and-after photos of my hair for this review, but I just couldn't capture the differences in pictures. So I'll do my very best to describe it to you.

Right off the bat, I noticed that this product does not leave a greasy residue behind.  A few times I overdid it and used too much (a quarter size amount instead of a dime) and even THEN, it didn't feel greasy (my hair just looked a little flat). The label claims that this product is good for all hair types and I would probably agree with that. I don't think this product would weigh down thin hair, but it also isn't so light that those with coarse hair couldn't benefit from it.

For my hair, I find this oil adds extra shine, softness, and manageability. It also seems to really control my frizzies and it makes my hair smoother and more prone to "behave".  Put it this way: I can apply this to my hair when it's damp and use my hair dryer (something I rarely use since I usually just let my hair air-dry) and even without the use of a paddle brush (my tool of choice for straightening my hair) my hair looks soft, sleek and smooth when I'm done. That's sort of a minor miracle for me! 

I have also applied this oil to my hair when I'm going to let it air dry and I find that it doesn't weight down my curls. Sure, my curls aren't as springy (this happens whenever I use any oil), but they're not flat or lifeless either.

FINAL VERDICT: I think this oil could work for all hair types. I think it's strong enough to lend added softness, shine and control to coarse hair, yet gentle enough to help control even fine, thin hair without weighing it down. If your hair is at either extreme of the fine/coarse scale, you might not see dramatic results, but I do think it's a product that the majority of people might enjoy. For me personally, this product adds shine, softness and much-needed control to my hair, especially when I straighten it. In fact, this product might work best for those who straighten their hair, as it really works magic in that capacity. The only type of person I probably wouldn't recommend this product to is one that doesn't care for the scent of sandalwood. Since the fragrance is on the stronger side, that would be a deal-breaker. Oh! And of course if you have a nut allergy, you should probably not use this either.

Thanks SO much, Yuliya, for sending me such a thoughtful present. I LOVE this stuff and if it weren't for you, I'd probably still be eyeing it every time I'm in CVS, wondering if I should make a purchase.

For more info on this or other Macadamia Natural Oil products, click here.

Have you tried anything from this brand? Thoughts?
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I have tried this and you are so right about the smell! I love it!

    It was not my favorite oil because of the consitency, but my hair type is different from yours, actually opposite! I have thick hair, but not much of it with frizz, and it is very coarse. I think for my type of hair it is a good oil, but not the best. I think for the price you could find something better for my type of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this oil, but I prefer the spray version- it's much lighter on the hair. I use the regular oil mixed in with my conditioner and hair mask for extra conditioning and it makes such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey G, not sure if you have spotted this yet or if anyone has told you about it but organix now carries a Macadamia line! i saw it at cvs last week. i havent picked anything up cause id like to use up some of my hair products before i go out and buy more but im really excited because i LOVE the macadamia deep repair masque so im wondering if the organix leave in conditioner compares! thanks for this review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanna try out macadamia and moroccon oil....waiting for the job :) fingers crossed X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recieved the Orofluido hair oil in my last Birchbox shipment and I love it! My hair definitely benefits from a good hair oil, as it is an over-processed, frizzy, dry, damaged mess! The hair oil makes it so shiney and soft! I will look into this one when i run out of the vial I receieved from Birchbox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What section of CVS did you spot this? I looked in the hair section of the one by me last night and didn't see it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for featuring our Healing Oil Treatment on your blog. We really enjoyed reading your review. A tiny note - we recommend purchasing Macadamia Natural Oil products from professional salons or authorized retailers. We're happy to hear you loved the smell and we look forward to future reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I been using this every since it hit the shelves in my area and totally love this as well as the leave in conditioner and few other items form the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eek, I hated the smell of this stuff. I have 4 products from this line & this was the only one which I couldn't stand the scent. I guess I don't care for sandalwood, but I don't think any wood would be appealing in a hair product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eek, I hated the smell of this stuff. I have 4 products from this line & this was the only one which I couldn't stand the scent. I guess I don't care for sandalwood, but I don't think any wood would be appealing in a hair product.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm slow to this post, sorry. I saw it as one of the recommendations at the bottom of a current post.

    I had to come tell you that this is my very, very ultimate favorite hair treatment!!! And, yes! That fragrance is so very nice. I rub the oil that's left on my hands after I put it in my hair, all over my face too.

    As much as I love Moroccan oil, this one beats the heck out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this product as I have similar hair to you. It is fine textured, thick, almost to my elbows, wavy and color treated. I live in a very humid climate and have tried salon shampoos and conditioners with no luck. I air dry and don't use a flat iron. I have found Renpure Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner and they work wonders. I still like an oil for protection and this is by far my favorite when purchasing for just hair. I am going to try the Renpure Argan oil now because of a B1G1 sale and see how it does in reducing frizz.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig