Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, July 15, 2011

Bobbi Brown dupe alert

Longtime readers of this blog probably know a few things about me at this point (my inability to wear the color purple, my undying love of automatic pencil eyeliners, etc.), but the one thing I have the greatest obsession with is pinky-brown lipsticks. Specifically creme pinky-brown lipsticks. I own far too many, and I just made another acquisition yesterday when I purchased Nuance Salma Hayek Dusty Rose. I'm like a moth to a flame with pinky-browns, I tell you! It's like I have pinky-brown radar or something, and if a drugstore collection has a pinky-brown, I WILL FIND IT AND I WILL OWN IT.


After wearing Nuance Dusty Rose all day yesterday, it began to remind me of another pinky-brown shade in my collection.  So I thought I'd swatch some of my higher-end pinky browns next to Dusty Rose and try to figure it out:


By far, I think that Dusty Rose most closely resembles Bobbi Brown Brownie. But looking at the swatches above, Dusty Rose also resembles MAC Fast Play, but Fast Play has a bit more mauve to it. 

But let's take a closer look at Nuance Dusty Rose vs. Bobbi Brown Brownie:


Without question, Bobbi Brown Brownie is The Mother of All Pinky Browns. In fact, on the Bobbi Brown site, the description of Brownie is literally: "A pinky brown." In my opinion, all other pinky browns are merely variations on this shade. I will forever bow down in awe to Ms. Brown for creating this Queen of All Versatile Lipstick Shades.

That said, I don't think Brownie and Dusty Rose look similar in the tube. But on the skin, the similarities really become apparent. In fact, I think I'd go so far as to call this an official dupe. These shades are so close--just a few drops of brown and pink separate them. As you can see, Brownie is the browner of the two, while Dusty Rose has a tiny bit more pink to it. But I think you really have to look closely to see the differences. 

Nuance Dusty Rose retails for $9.99 (0.12 oz) at CVS
Bobbi Brown Brownie retails for $23 (0.12 oz) on the Bobbi Brown site

So there you go! My first official dupe in the Nuance Salma Hayek collection!

Are you a pinky-brown lipstick fan too? What do you think of this dupe?

Both products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds.
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. I too love a good pinky brown and I like that the Dusty Rose is pinkier! If it moist and wears well it shall become mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a pinky brown addict! It's my favorite shade of lipstick by far. I will be soon checking out the Nuance! Too bad I hadn't seen this before, when I was still in Greece, my local Sephora had a ton of Bobbi Brown on sale! Shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh now I have to buy this! You have such great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please, please please find me the exact Bobbi Brown shade called FUDGE. It was discontinued a number of years ago and it was the best colour I've ever worn. My face would just brighten up immediately. It was a gloss - and didn't stay on long, but the effect was incredible. The name suggests brown, which it was, but had 'brick' reddish suggestion in it that was perfec If you could do some research on that, I'd be forever grateful. I've tried to find it myself and came very close with a gloss by MatchBox (a dark brown with a reddish undertone, but they too discontinued that shade and replaced it with a hideous, near black shade.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig