Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, May 7, 2011

Review: New NYC Liquid Lipshine in Rivington Rose

I purchased one of the new NYC Liquid Lipshines a few months back when I finally spotted this display at my local Rite Aid. I really love NYC's new lipstains (click here if you missed my review) so I was hoping to have similar luck with the new glosses.

NYC Liquid Lipshine in Rivington Rose
(retail: around $2.50)

Not to be confused with the old Liquid Lip Shines, these new glosses have updated packaging, new shades and, I believe, a new formula. I have tried a few of the old (original) versions, and I never could find one that I liked (they were too sheer and not very pigmented for my tastes).

Rivington Rose is a lovely berry-rose-mauve shade that looks just a tad bit cooler in real life than in my pictures. Like many other new drugstore glosses released this year, the applicator is what I like to call "doe-foot 2.0". It's not the traditional doe-foot (small, firm, slanted tip). This one's larger, flatter, and has some give when you apply it to your lips.


I love "doe-foot 2.0" applicators because they really distribute gloss onto the lips more effectively than their older sisters.

I was concerned, looking at the tube, that Rivington Rose might be a bit too frosty on the lips (I don't care for frosty lipglosses) but I was pleasantly surprised to find that while it does have lots of sparkle (silver, pink and violet blue, to my eye), it doesn't quite take on a frosty look when applied.


 On my lips, this shade becomes a bit warmer than it looks in the tube, and I'm very happy about that because I can't pull off very cool shades on my lips. 

As for the texture, this is not a sticky gloss. It's got a very nice, creamy consistency and it's pretty opaque as well. It's not as opaque as a liquid lipstick, but I definitely wouldn't consider it sheer. I'm able to get about 2-3 hours of wear from this gloss, which isn't bad considering that it's not sticky.

I've heard that the fragrance and flavor of the new Liquid Lipshines vary from shade to shade. I find Rivington Rose to have a chocolate-covered-strawberries fragrance and flavor, which I love. The fragrance is stronger than the flavor, but both seem to fade within about 10 minutes of application.

FINAL VERDICT: I was pleasantly surprised by the new NYC Liquid Lipshine in Rivington Rose. The pigmentation is wonderful, the shade is lovely, and the staying power is great considering that it's not a sticky or tacky gloss. This product has a creamy texture and I find it nice and moisturizing on the lips. I also enjoy the chocolate-covered-strawberries fragrance and flavor. For around $2.50 each at the drugstore, I would most certainly consider purchasing other shades in the near future.

The new NYC Liquid Lipshines are available wherever NYC products are sold. If your particular drugstore doesn't have them on display yet, keep checking because they should be making their way to you soon. For more information on the other nine shades in this collection, click here.

Do you already own any of the new NYC Liquid Lipshines? If so, what shades do you own? How do you like them?
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. What a pretty shade! I have this gloss in Brighton Beach Peach, and I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking at this one today!!!! It looks so awesome I'm now sad I didn't grab it. These need to hit my CVS shelves, like, yesterday so I can use them toward my beauty club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that your English is so good - I hate reading beauty articles when the grammar and punctuation are messy. You have brains and beauty, and that is a powerful women's lib statement, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really pretty shade and because of the review I will keep this in mind when looking for a pick me up! I always find a new lip gloss or stick to be the perfect antedote to a lousy day! And if I stil to drugstore shades I dont go broke! :) and yes G. you do write eloquently...did you major in writing in college?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these glosses! And the price is fantastic. I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for it, actually. These are the cheapest glosses I own and I think they are the best.... I'm cheap and I misplace lippies often ;)
    I have the mulberry color, it doesn't have shimmer which makes me happy. It is a dark wine color on my lips though, with a cool tone to it. And the peach one, which does have shimmer and is kinda a sheer nude. I really hope they create more colors! If they made a creamy opaque one with no shimmer I would keel over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maureen: Oooh, I might have to try that one next. :)

    Zombii: The minute you see one at CVS, you should try at least one shade--I think you might love 'em!

    Chindian: What an incredibly sweet thing to say! Thank you for making my day. :D

    robin: Definitely keep this one in mind for your pick-me-up! I don't think you'll be disappointed. Oh and thank you for your kind words! I do have a BA in English Literature. You called it! :)

    Gabriella: I totally agree--the price is pretty incredible for what you get! I'm so glad you like them too, and thanks for the helpful descriptions of those other shades. You're making me want to go out and get some more ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally disliked the old Liquid Lip Shines. They stunk so bad that I was horrified to put them on my lips. When I seen the new packaging, I thought of giving them a second chance. I am so glad I did! I have two; Nude York City and Honey on the Hudson. I am loving them. They are so moisturizing and they do not stink!!!!! I'm a happy girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going to keep an eye out for these! Thanks for the amazing swatch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i picked up one of these about two months ago too but i didn't like it as much. i got brighton beach peach. i thought it was too sticky & tacky. not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just bought two of thèse and i love em! Check out m'y blog for swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have Nude York City and Big Apple Spice. They are both great! I have been wanting to try out the Rivington Rose shade for quite some time now. :) Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig