Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Review: Baby Phat Luv Me by Kimora Lee Simmons

UPDATE: All Baby Phat fragrances are $10 off at Walgreens this week.

I've got to be honest--I've never been a huge fan of the Baby Phat family of fragrances. But when I read the notes in the newest fragrance, Luv Me, I absolutely jumped at the chance to receive a bottle for review. So today I'd like to give you my take on Luv Me, which made its debut this month in retailers such as CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Kohl's and Kmart.

Baby Phat Luv Me by Kimora Lee Simmons
(retail: $28, 1.0 oz)

In addition to the 1.0 oz bottle featured in this review, there is also a 0.5 oz version that retails for $17.


When investigating new fragrances, I like to read the bio of the perfumer who created the scent. Harry Fremont was the perfumer for Luv Me, and wouldn't you know it, Mr. Fremont was also one of the perfumers responsible for Bath & Body Works Twilight Woods (a personal favorite of mine) as well as a host of other extremely popular fragrances. This helps explain why the notes in Luv Me immediately appealed to me:

Baby Phat Luv Me
A sensual oriental vanilla musk

Top Notes: Luscious Apricot Blossom, Tangerine and Passion Fruit
Mid Notes: Exotic Frangipani Blossom, Jasmine Petals and Tiger Orchid
Base Notes: Intoxicating Vanilla Blossom, Skin Musk and Sandalwood

Now that you have some background regarding this fragrance, I'd like to give you my personal opinion:

There isn't a note in this fragrance that doesn't appeal to me. I honestly love each note with a passion, so I was extremely excited to see how all of the notes would come together. I have to say, I was not disappointed.

To my nose, Luv Me opens strongly with the apricot blossom, tangerine and passion fruit notes. It's 100% sweet when it first hits my skin, and very fruity.

After several minutes, it starts to evolve on my skin and the frangipani starts to poke its head out, and I also get the lovely jasmine and orchid notes. While the floral middle notes become very apparent over time, this fragrance still clings to its fruity top notes and continues to be sweet on my skin.

After about an hour, Luv Me takes on a very Twilight-Woods-esque feel. The vanilla, musk and sandalwood all become much more apparent, and Luv Me turns into a very soft, warm and "cuddly" type of fragrance that I enjoy very much.

But what's different about Luv Me, as opposed to Twilight Woods, is that there is still a very sweet, candy-like note throughout the life of this fragrance (at least on my skin, of course). Several hours after application, I get a cotton candy vibe from this fragrance, which is surprising and very pleasant since I'm a sucker for candy-type fragrances. It's not a sharp or cloying cotton candy note, but rather a more sophisticated take on cotton candy.
Luv Me lasts on my skin for about 4-6 hours. The sillage isn't strong--this one stays very close to my skin, which, let me tell you, pleases my boyfriend very much. He's the type that doesn't want to smell me when I walk in the door; he'd much prefer to get an unexpected whiff of my fragrance while we're hugging each other, and that's exactly what happens when I wear Luv Me.

FINAL VERDICT: Bravo, Baby Phat, for releasing a fragrance that I will wear again and again this spring and summer! If you're already a fan of B&BW Twilight Woods and you're craving a sweeter scent for the spring/summer, I think Luv Me might do the trick. If you like candy notes to your fragrances, this one's got a more sophisticated candy note that should appeal to young and mature alike. If you're not a fan of fragrances that make an entrance before you've even walked through the door, rest assured that this one tends to stay close to the skin.

Have you come across tester bottles of this fragrance at your local drugstores? If so, have you given Luv Me a whiff? What did you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I love the way you review fragrances! I don't care what it is, you make me want to wear it.
    I can never tell the different notes in perfumes though. The best
    I can do is, smells fab, smells "meh", or smells gross, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to get the small bottle and give it a try. Or maybe wags or CVS will put this on sale :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessi: You are so sweet for saying that! Thank you, honey. xo

    Phyrra: I think you might like this one. :D

    ashwillis83: Thank you SO much for reminding me--all Baby Phat fragrances are $10 off at CVS this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. G, thats great as i have a $2 in extra bucks as well. maybe the coupon printer will print of another coupon i can use with this. So would it be 18 for the big bottle at CVS or do prices vary from different stores. I cant wait to try this as i love twilight woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G, i looked in the CVS sale paper but did not see this advertised. Is this an unadvertised special? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ashwillis83: Honey I am SO sorry--I got the sales mixed up and that $10 off deal is actually at Walgreens this week, not CVS. :( I'm so so sorry!! Do you have any Register Rewards you could use for this sale?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No i dont, but i still might pick it up while its on sale. If its the same price at Walgreens as it is at walmart then it would still be a good deal. I dont have a wags in my town but i do in the next town, and im going friday. Ill have to see if their is anything i need that will generate some register rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha I agree with Jessi, you make me want to try frags I'd probably never look twice at, like this one. I don't recall seeing this the other day at Wags but I'll keep an eye out for it now. Pretty bottle too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luckily i found a few things i need form Wags that will generate extra bucks. I really like Wisk detergent and it is on sale and i have a dollar off coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahh i just picked this up because i like to follow her fragrances even if i don't love them all. i usu don't come across too many testers and this was sitting by its lonesome and i thought it would be better to grab than to never see it again... ehhh maybe i'll check if cvs has it and return it to target where i bought it.

    ....and i agree with jessi.. you make me wanna go ahead and open the package now to experience it for myself even tho i know i wasn't crazy about twilight woods. i'm trying to be strong to wait until i visit cvs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A couple of my favorite fragrances are Baby Phat. I've got Fabulosity and Goddess. I wouldn't mind picking this one up too!

    I've been hearing that Britney Spears fragrances are nice, so I had the chance to pick up Circus for only $10 on clearance and huge disappointment. The fragrance is beautiful, light and fresh, but it lasts less than an hour on me and then I might as well have not spritzed anything on at all. What I don't understand is that it's eau de parfum, which is supposed to be better than an eau de toilette or body spray, and yet that Love's Rain Forest which is a body spray lasts much longer and either of my Baby Phat fragrances which are eau de toilette last all day.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig