Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, February 19, 2011

Review: Lush Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter

If I had a dime for every rave I've heard about Lush Lemony Flutter, I'd certainly have at least 20 bucks in my pocket by now. It seems to be a product that many Lush fanatics say is a must-have, so when Mr. G was in Hawaii a while back, I ask him to pick this up for me (he also picked up It's Raining Men shower gel which I adore, and a lip scrub which I will review soon). 

It's sad that whenever Mr. G is in Hawaii the first thing I think of is, "Oooh, what would I like from Lush?" I wish there was a Lush in San Diego because I've never actually been inside a physical Lush store! I know there's one in Santa Monica, but whenever we're in LA I've always got a 1,000 things to do and I never remember to pop in. Anyway, on to the review:

(retail: $14.95, 1.5 oz)

Let's get the obvious out the way: $14.95 for a 1.5 oz jar of cuticle butter is insanely expensive (well, to me it is, and I'm guessing you'd agree). But the good thing is that you only need a TINY bit for all ten cuticles. And when I say a tiny amount, I really mean it.

I took this photo after using Lemony Flutter over a dozen times:

 

 You truly only need a very small amount for all ten fingers. Here is an enlarged photo of the amount I need to get the job done on all of my cuticles (this is my index finger) :

 

 The consistency of this butter is, well, like butter. The best way I can describe it is like this: imagine taking a stick of butter that's been at room temperature for about 10 minutes and swiping it with your finger. That's roughly the equivalent of how firm and thick this butter is to me. And it spreads like butter as well--very easy to work into your cuticles once it mixes with the warmth of your skin. It's decadent to use, and at first you think it's going to be extremely greasy, but as you work it in, it becomes less and less greasy until your hands just feels very smooth. It does leave a nice, protective coating behind, but it's not greasy if you spend some time working it into your skin.

 I always love seeing who made my product. Thanks, Nic!

 Looking at the ingredients, you can see that this butter is packed with all sorts of great natural oils and butters. 

So what about the fragrance, right? Well, I guess I had been hearing for so long how this stuff smells amazing, so I was really expecting to love it. I'm a HUGE lemon fan (perfumes, lotions, body washes, candy, car fresheners, candles, you name it, I own it) but this one? Not so much.

Upon first whiff, it does smell amazing. It's got a tart, but very creamy, lemon scent to it. But once I start working it into my skin and I smell my hands, the citronella REALLY comes through and then the whole thing starts to take on a medicinal quality to me. Eventually, the dry-down kind of reminds me of  old school Desitin diaper cream, if you know what that smells like. It's a scent-memory that hasn't been triggered in me for a LONG time, so in that respect it's wonderful to be reminded of when my baby brother, who's now in his 30s, was a baby. So for nostalgic purposes, I guess I kind of enjoy it. But do I want to be reminded of diaper cream every time I'm moisturizing my cuticles? Maybe not.

(FYI, I just looked at the reviews on the Lush site, and some people say this smells like motor oil. I'm glad I get diaper cream and not motor oil from this fragrance, but it is good to know I'm not alone in thinking this butter smells a bit off.)

As for the performance of Lemony Flutter, I very much enjoy how this butter seems to instantly make my dry, icky cuticles look soft and supple. But after using it for several weeks now, I can't say that my cuticles have been transformed. For me, this product is more of a quick fix that I need to use pretty consistently in order to maintain soft, supple cuticles. I've found that if I skip using this for a few days, my cuticles are pretty much back to their original state. I was truly hoping to see a marked improvement in my cuticles after using this consistently for several weeks, but I recently went three days without using it and I found that my cuticles looked exactly the way they were before I owned this product.

I know that so many of you love this product, and I really, really wanted to adore it too. But sadly, it's just not a love-match for me. I'll keep it in my hand cream rotation for sure, but it's just not something I get excited to use on a nightly basis. And that really bums me out because, like I said before, I LOVE lemon and I love butters. On paper, this should be a match made in heaven for me.

Are you one of the thousands who swear by Lush Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter? Please let me know why you love it and how you use it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.
SHARE:

25 comments

  1. Mine totally smelled like motor oil - ended up throwing it out and feeling really disappointed. I like Burt Bee's Lemon Cuticle product much better - it really does have a yummy lemon scent (with no scent of oil or diaper cream!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I really wasn't impressed by Lemony Flutter. It smelled really awful to me- not juicy tart lemon but like some citrus cleaner. I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't super in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the recommendation for Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream. It has that true, bright lemon scent and it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not very into the scent either. And I actually really prefer cuticle oil (the giant bottle of Beauty Secrets Nail Matrix is awesome and cheap, and the China Glaze peppermint cuticle oil comes in cute little bottles and smells great) and hand cream. They work way better for my cuticles than any balm ever has.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I was the only person on the planet that didn't LOVE this stuff. It smells really good at first, but then it just turns into a strong, stinky, lemon-rind mess. I really wanted to love it but unfortunately not so much. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to try this for awhile now but i'm notsure now. I think I may have to get a tester before buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww it's a shame you didn't get on with it!
    Personally I really like the smell, it just stays smelling like some sort of lemon candy to me. And I like the feeling it gives my cuticles when I use it, but like you if I stop using it my cuticles go back to the way they were before i started using it. But quite frankly I find that with ALL cuticle creams/oils/balms :/
    Also I'm please to have finally found a cosmetic brand that's cheaper for me in the UK than for you in the US :P Mua ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started using Lemony Flutter as a cuticle/nail cream but I found it works as a nightly hand cream (think sand paper). I also use it for a very dry patch that I get on my elbow. It clears it up quickly. As far as smell, I'm sleeping so it doesn't bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your review. Its spot on with how I feel about this stuff. It seems expensive until you realize how little you use with each application. And to me, the "after smell" (if you will) smells like a band-aide :P All in all though, putting it on at bedtime and not being able to get a whiff of it - makes it an excellent purchase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with your review. THe smell I got was A&D Ointment. So diaper creme just a different brand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to use it all the time,actually went through a WHOLE pot! I put it on everytime I washed my hands, and when I was bored at work. Really, It only felt moisturized when it was just then put on, and It felt like the more I used it, the more I needed it. What a waste! I use poshe aha cuticle care, and Ill NEVER go back! Its amazing sometimes I only use it once a day, and sometimes, I dont feel the need to use anything at all. Thats a first!
    when I ran out, i did do the vicks, and it was a pretty good substitute though. thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. FYI - There's a Lush store in Gardenwalk which is just a couple of blocks from Disneyland. That's gonna be closer than Santa Monica for you. I wasn't really impressed with the one Lush store I have been to (Seattle) as the salespeople were very pushy and I really hate stores with pushy salespeople.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review G. I think i will stick with vicks! haha I'm a poet and didn't know it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also recommend the Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle product. It's worked great for me for several years now and it lasts forever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I may be alone here in these comments, but I am a lover of the lemony flutter! I actually find it to smell very lemon-like, but more like natural lemons then the artificial lemons that most lemon products smell like. I also have found a Holy Grail product in mixing this with Ocean Salt from LUSH (have you tried Ocean Salt in general? It an exfoliating scrub and it's fab!) What I find is the best all around hand/cuticle treatment is to mix a little lemony flutter and a little ocean salt together and rub your hands all together, including cuticles and BAM!! SOft, yummy hands and will slough away any ragged cuticles etc. Maybe you wanna give this a go and see how you feel? I think it may make you a believer....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, you ladies have NO idea how much better I feel after reading your comments. I am so relieved to hear I'm not the only one who was a bit disappointed with this product. Thank you for letting me know your thoughts!

    Thanks to those of you who were kind enough to leave your recs for another cuticle product! I completely forgot about Burt's Bees--I used to use that a long time ago but I think it's time I revisited it!

    twinkles6801 and robin: OMG, you remember my Vicks post!! Thank you! :D You know, I still use my Vicks too and I still love it, but I like to change it up and rotate with other products that smell yummy, ya know? A girl can only take so much Vicks! haha! But I'm THRILLED that Vicks works for both of you. It's such a little multi-tasker. :)

    Lillian: Stop rubbing that in, girl! lol!!! I'm so jealous!

    Lacquer Ware: Band Aids!! OMG, I can totally see how you'd get that from this scent! ;)

    jaybird: Wow! OK, so it's just diaper cream in general! Thank you--soooo glad to know I'm not alone.

    KitsuneSD: OMG, I had no idea there was a Lush in Anaheim! You're so right--that is DEFINITELY closer than SM. Thanks so much for the heads-up!

    Alli: If I can get my hands on that scrub, I will definitely give that whirl. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to second the suggestion of using it with Ocean Salt - it is like spa treatment at home for your hands seriously. Mixing those together and following up with your favorite lotion - softest hands ever! And I think it smells like a margarita when you mix the two.

    Lemony Flutter on it's own, not so much, but with Ocean Salt total win.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I worked at Lush for 2 years, and this is one of those products I used a lot when I had the discount, but I never bothered buying after I let the company. My favorite use for it was actually as a pomade. I had very short hot pink hair, and this was such a great moisturizer for my super damaged hair. Also an AMAZING lip treatment. But for those of you who don't care for the scent that wont work. I've never been able to use up an entire jar of it tho, I've always ended up giving it to a girlfriend of mine who somehow manages to go through it very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG Nic made mine too! hahaha
    I totally agree with you. It's definitely NOT a miracle product nor does it smell amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There was a big box of those Burts Bees lemon cuticle creams at TJ Maxx and I'd never heard of it, so I didn't get any. I know that Burts Bees can be hit or miss so I did a little research, found out that so many nail bloggers love the stuff and went back about a week later...GONE! I have no idea what the price was, but at TJ Maxx you know it had to be like half off anywhere else. *kicking myself*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just to balance things out here.... I love this stuff!!!!
    I think it smells absolutely fantastic. Not only do I keep smelling my cuticles, but I also ask my friends to smell my fingers so they can enjoy it also. Everyone so far loves it.
    I have serious problems with my cuticles because I compulsively pick at them. This amazing product keeps my fingers soft, stays on, smells good, and leaves some protective coating. I plan on using this for a long long time! I'm so happy to have discovered it in my daughter's room. (She is away at college. Shhh....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I guess sometimes friends have similar tastes even when it comes to smells! I put on some Lemony Flutter in the dark during a movie once and my friend leaned over to ask me what that smell was. She and I both hate the fragrance, LOL!

      Delete
  22. Just received this today and put some on my cuticles. I found that funky smell to be so overpowering that I got queesy and had to scrub (twice) to get it off. Even then, I got whiffs of it. Have been slathering Solar Oil (love that faint almond smell) and Burt's Bees Cuticle Cream on to try to cover up that stink!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I tried a sample of this stuff because so many nail bloggers seem to love it. The smell is terrible, definitely a deal breaker for me! I have to use diaper cream in my real life, and the similarity between LUSH Lemony Flutter's fragrance and that of diaper cream is uncanny. I definitely recommend trying a sample before splurging on this- I think it's one of those products that you either love or hate!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I totally disagree. For me, this stuff is a miracle. I bite my nails--usually stress-induced. If I have a rough day at work and I've really gone to town on my cuticles, I put this stuff on and I can tell a difference in a day. A DAY. My nails and blasted cuticles are softer and not as ragged. I also lift weights and have some calluses at the base of my fingers where they meet my hands. I use this stuff for a few days and they're gone. GONE. This stuff has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig