Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, December 17, 2010

Review: Milani Baked Metallic Eyeshadow in I Heart You

It seems like I've been talking about the new core collection Milani baked shadows for months now, huh? Just to refresh your memory, The Milani Melange Infusion of Colors Baked Eyeshadows come in two different finishes: Marble and Metallic (click here to see pics of the displays). When I finally saw the display at my local CVS I knew I had to buy the red metallic shade, and that's exactly what I did:

Milani Melange Infusion of Colors
Metallic Baked Eyeshadow in I Heart You
(retail: $6.99)

Many of you have told me that you were excited to see a red eyeshadow from Milani, especially since the only other red shadow available at the drugstore these days is that gorgeous red in the Wet n Wild Night Elf palette, but as we all know that's a limited edition palette and these new Milani shadows are not limited edition.

I know red shades on the eyes scare a lot of people, and certainly they're not for everyone, but I think they can look quite beautiful if done correctly. So what I'm pleased to tell you about I Heart You is that it's a red for those of you who are scared of red eyeshadow. In other words, this isn't a bright Night-Elf-red, but more of a reddish-copper. If you already love wearing bronzes and coppers on your eyes, you can very easily transition into wearing this one!

Heck, any way you slice it, I think I Heart You is gorgeous. Here are some swatches!


I swatched this next to the red in the Night Elf palette just to drive home the point that I Heart You is not a true red. Again, it's a reddish-copper, which might make it more wearable and less frightening to many of you!

Also, if you look at the swatch of I Heart You in the second photo above, you can see that there is a pretty pink flash to this shadow. I love that because it really gives this shadow an added dimension.

Another thing you may have noticed is that this shadow is more on the sheer side when worn without primer (in all photos, the primer I'm using is my go-to primer of the moment, Jesse's Girl Eyeshadow Primer).

I did something a little different for this eye look--I used a primer on my right eye (your left) and didn't use a primer on the other eye, just so you can have a better understanding how you can get both a bold look and a softer look from this shadow:


I actually like both looks--one is definitely more suited to daytime while the other would be fun for night.

I found this shadow easy to pick up on my brush, and I didn't experience much fallout at all (yay!). Obviously it's not as pigmented without a primer, but if you're going for a softer look, you can definitely achieve that by skipping primer. Both with primer and without, I found this shadow easy to apply and blend, although I did find it a touch easier to blend on the eye with primer. But heck, everything's easier with primer, as far as I'm concerned!

The only type of person I wouldn't recommend this shadow to is someone who never uses primer, yet wants a lot of pigmentation from their shadow. You're just not going to get that out of I Heart You unless you use a primer first. But if you're already a devoted primer user, then I would definitely recommend picking one of these shadows up. The colors are unique for the drugstore level, they're gorgeous and the price sure is right!

Do you already own any shadows from the Melange Infusion of Colors collection? If not, are you planning to make a purchase when you spot them in your area? Either way, I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. You know? Youve renewed my faith in the drugstore and also I look at your eyes and there is no way that you just had your 40th birthday! I cant even believe that. GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this color. I've searched high & low for the WnW holiday palettes with no luck. Fortunately, I did win them from a giveaway so I have stopped my search. I may just have to go pick this one up too because I <3 the difference. I haven't received my gift yet, but the ELF Brightening Eyeshadow quad in Luxe has a nice red shade in it also. I actually posted some pics of it on my blog the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this color! I normally use neutrals but this is a pretty and fun color! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pretty!

    What kind of primer do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I'm so envious of those who are finding these milani shadows! Seems like my drugstores take *ages* to get the new stuff in (if they ever do).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow- you look great! How is it that you just always look lovely and can pull off any look?! <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw these at my local CVS and was really super intrigued - the marbling and color combos were gorgeous - but I didn't want to buy it if I wasn't absolutely sold! Thanks for the review - might consider going back for a few of these now! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You make red eyeshadow look super pretty! Your eyes look AH-MAZING in that picture!!! And I agree with L: you CAN'T have just turned 40 according to that picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty color. What mascrara are you wearing there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhh, i just had to log on to tell you that i've just bought a ton of the products i've been reading your recommendations over the past year now that i'm in the states! i managed to find all four of the wnw color icon holiday palettes thanks to a tip from a commenter in another thread, plus i bought nutty, palladio lipstain, jessie's girl primer, confetti moonstruck, sinful colors mint apple ... it's out of control! :)

    oh, and for the record, i saw that jessie's girl has a pretty true looking red in their eye dust collection. so there's another drugstore option.

    ReplyDelete
  11. L: I'm SO happy I've renewed your faith in drugstore makeup! Yay! And um, can I hug you for that last sentence? No really. I'd like to hug you. HAHAHAH! PS: I swear I owe it ALL to Physicians Formula Healthy Wear Powder Foundation. That stuff literally transforms my skin and hides every darned flaw! :)

    TrailerHood Chic: Congrats on winning WnW palettes! I am SO excited for you--you are going to adore them. And thanks for the tip about another red! That is so great to know. :)

    dodogosu: You are so welcome! Give it a try if you can--I think you'll be very happy with it. :)

    SiSi Sparkles: I mentioned in this post (and linked to my review) that I'm currently ADORING the Jesse's Girl Primer. It works so well--especially with baked shadows. I can't recommend it enough. :)

    Sara: Thank you so much, love! And I know what you mean--my drugstores take forever to get certain things too sometimes. Frustrating...

    Affordable Beauty: Hahaha! Thank you so much for that, love. But the truth is: I CAN'T! Seriously, there a zillion looks I wish I could pull off, but they end up looking horrible on me. I can't wear most purples and pinks, but how I dream of being able to pull them off. They make me look sickly and it breaks my heart, I tell you!

    Alexa: Let me know what you think if you end up getting some! :)

    Carolanne: you are too kind, sweetheart! Thank you so much for that. But again, I own it ALL to that darned Physicians Formula powder foundation. It's like taking an airbrush to my skin whenever I use it. Seriously! :)

    Melody: in these pics, I'm wearing Prestige My Blackest Lashes. :)

    jane: OMG are you serious??? I am so utterly flattered that you'd try the things that I've reviewed here, honey! But now I'm so scared to hear your reviews--I hope you love them all as much as I do! haha! I have no doubt you'll love the WnW palettes (and CONGRATS on being able to find all of them--that is amazing and so many people will be jealous of you!). Please please please keep me posted on how you like everything? And thanks so much for reminding me about that JG Eye Dust! That's a GREAT one I totally forgot about. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I am jealous of Jane, since I still can't find the Golden Goddess palette.

    G, I've bought several things based on your recommendations and never been sorry.

    Uh...my word verification is "repent". lmao!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm serious! so far i love everything i've tried--the nail polishes, the eyeshadow primer, the lipstain, and, of course, the wnw palettes. great recommendations. i used to be really excited to come home and read all the beauty and fashion magazines but now that i read blogs like yours all year long, the thrill of the magazines has really worn off. i think bloggers give much better, more truthful product reviews and recommendations.

    and i have a recommendation for you: jordana incolor lipshine brush on gloss. really pretty, not too sticky, smells good, and only $1.99!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really wanted to love these new eye shadows. I bought several colors at full price and ended up returning them all. There was virtually no pigmentation, it was even difficult to use wet.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig