Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, November 8, 2010

New Revlon Top Speed in "Royal"

I was happier than a kid in a candy store when I found out that Revlon was bringing back Top Speed nail polishes. I am a longtime fan (I even showed you my original Top Speeds in this post) and when I saw all the beautiful shades in the new Top Speed collection, well, I really can't describe my excitement! I just feel like the Top Speed formula performs better on my particular nails, and that's what I remember most about the original Top Speeds. They were the first drugstore polish I can remember that really lasted on my nails, and for more than just the usual two or three days.

So after finding the display at my local CVS last week (click here for Rachel's pics of the display if you missed them), I knew I had to get one. Plus, CVS was printing out $3 off $15 cosmetic purchase coupons last week, AND $3 off Revlon coupons, which were great to combine with the BOGO1/2OFF Revlon sale that they also ran last week.

I ended up purchasing the new Revlon PhotoReady Compact Makeup (review to come--I'm still in the midst of testing it) and a bottle of Top Speed for around $10 total by combining the two coupons with the sale. I think this was a great deal considering the foundation alone retails for $13.99 regularly.

Before I show you the swatches of Royal, I need to vent a bit. First of all, I hate that my camera cannot pick up blues and purples accurately. Second, I also hate it when a color looks completely opaque to the naked eye, only to look sheer and streaky in photos.

Now that I have those two gripes off my chest, let's take a look at some pics:

Revlon Top Speed Fast Dry Nail Enamel in Royal
(retail: $5.99 at CVS)



So here's what I'd like for you to take away from this review:

1) I don't think that Royal is a "blurple" even though my pics make it look like it might be leaning that way (some may beg to differ, but I really don't pick up on the purple when this is on my nails). On the nails, it is actually darker than what you see here, and it's more of a true, inky blue creme jelly. But even though it's darker than what you see here, it never goes black on me, under any form of lighting. It's a pretty true dark navy blue in low light, and then looks more royal blue in brighter light. I love it--especially for winter.

2) I used two coats in the above pics and, to the naked eye, it looks pretty darned opaque with two coats. But as you see above, it looks streaky in photos. So I would recommend using three coats just to have your bases covered.

3) The quick dry abilities of this polish are not how I remember the original Top Speeds. I'm not sure if this has to do with this polish being a jelly, but I found that on the first coat, it appeared to dry rather quickly, but when I went to touch my pinky nail, it smudged. After testing the dryness of all of my nails on the first and second coats, I found that the drying time of this polish was about the same as any normal (non-quick dry) polish.

Since durability was the thing I loved the most about the original Top Speeds, it's the main quality I'm hoping to find in these new versions. I'm still testing Royal for durability (I'm going on 24 hours and no chips yet) so I will post a follow-up in a few days, with pictures, so please stay tuned if you're curious. The price of the new Top Speeds is $1 more than regular Revlon nail polishes, so I really hope the staying power is better.

In the meantime, have you tried any of the new Top Speed polishes yet? If so, what you do think of them?
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Oh wow, is that color GORGEOUS<33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow G! That is one heck of a color! I really need to step back from polish for couple weeks, but will wait with bated breath out the Photo Ready! P.s what exactly constitutes a jelly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolanne: Thank you! I think so too, but it does look a bit brighter in my photos than real life. :)

    robin: OK, I'm by no means an expert on this, but a jelly is when the texture looks, well, like jelly! In other words, it's almost got this translucent quality to it, as if instead of regular nail polish, it's like you've got a thin layer of jello on your nail. Sort of like you could almost "squish" the polish if you touched it. Does that make sense? I hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This color is absolutely stunning! Thanks for the post! I had seen this and passed on it but now I'm going to have to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info! I was pretty sure that is what Jelly meant but was hesitant to use the term in case I was wrong! :) have a great day and keep up the good work.
    p.s. the have you tried...is gonna be fun!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi G!
    That's a gorgeous color!! I picked up Cloud a week ago (in the testing stages too!) and I agree, the formula isn't up to par as I remembered... After five minutes of drying, If I barely pressed down on my nail you could see smudge prints?! I'm curious to see if they have a top speed top coat? Have an awesome Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Hell, that blue is awesome! I wish we had that at my bx. They have it out at the Japanese stores, but I'm not paying almost $15 for a Revlon anything, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh going to be on the look out for this. that is an amazing blue! oh and i found the cvs red coupon booth thingy...lol. but they were 'out' of coupons... boo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty, that's been happening to me quite a bit. I just want to kick the machine when it tells me it's out of coupons!

    G, I don't know how I missed that Vintage Vault post, but you asked if anyone remembered the old Top Speed Chromes? It's one of the few old school makeup items I still have! I have Super Top Speed Chrome in Bloom Chrome! (medium pink) Unbelievably, it looks like it has great consistency, like I could still use it. I'd think it has to be at least 10 years old, but in the back it says, formaldehyde and toluene free formula. So maybe it's not as old as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so hot! I will definitely be looking for this one everywhere I go. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig