Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, August 10, 2010

From the Vintage Vault...

It's time again for me to dust off some of my vintage makeup from the 80s and 90s and give you a little blast from the past!

For this edition of From the Vintage Vault, I'm going to start with a few bottles of nail polish and then end with a Physicians Formula eyeshadow that truly brought back some memories for me.

First up, from Revlon:

Left to right: Revlon Top Speed in Cranberry, Revlon Top Speed in Juicy, Revlon Super Top Speed in Firecracker (circa 1999?)

Do you remember the Revlon Top Speed line? If my memory serves me correctly, I think this line was discontinued back in 2005 (in the US--I don't know about outside the US) but you can still find quite a few bottles on ebay, Amazon, eCrater, etc. I think I purchased these around 1999 but I'm not 100% sure. All I know is that I do remember that Juicy (the middle bottle) was part of a summer LE collection, and I think Firecracker (the red glitter on the right) was part of an LE collection as well. Also, notice how Firecracker is a SUPER Top Speed, not just a regular Top Speed. I seem to recall that Super Top Speed put out the first chrome polishes I had ever seen at the drugstore. Does anyone remember those?

Revlon Top Speed Juicy

Revlon Super Top Speed Firecracker


Next up, a polish from L'Oreal:
L'Oreal Nail Enamel in Sheer Bleu Twist (circa 1997)


Like I mentioned in my last edition of From the Vintage Vault, the trend of light blue lipsticks, lipglosses and nail colors seems to come and go quite frequently, and in the late 90s it was HUGE. I remember being in love with this bottle (which has certainly seen better days) because it was just so "cutting edge" for its time. Ha! I opened this bottle just to take a peek at the color (a pretty boring sheer, shimmery light blue for today's standards) and the smell of the formula TOTALLY brought me back to the late 90s again. The smell of drugstore polishes before they were Big Three Free, and especially L'Oreal polishes, had this distinct fragrance to them...I can't describe it but it's just so different than today's polishes.

Next up, does anyone remember this popular drugstore brand from the 80s and 90s?

Flame Glow Super Shine Nail Polish in Tattletale Pink Creme (circa 1990)

(If you look closely, you can see that this polish is completely dried up--it's pretty solid and crusty inside)

Oh Flame Glow! What happened to you? If you don't remember Flame Glow, this brand made nail polish and makeup and their products were quite popular in the drugstores in the 80s and 90s.

In fact, while doing some research for this post, I stumbled across an old drugstore industry makeup report from 1991 that ranked the top performers for drugstore makeup and it is QUITE a blast from the past (from findarticles.com):

Lip, eye cosmetics color '91 sales jump

Drug Store News, April 20, 1992


The strongest performers are still Cover Girl's Navy and Coty's Ex Cla Ma Tion, Lady Stetson, Emeraude and Sand & Sable.

At Kerr Drug, three mass brands, Sand & Sable, Jovan Musk and White Musk were strong this year. Johannes described Sand & Sable as "one of the best sellers in the South; Jovan Musk, I couldn't keep in stock, and White Musk sold through Christmas in October."

This year, Johannes saw movement in men's fragrances picking up again. Drakkar Noir, Eternity For Men, Stetson, and Jovan Musk For Men did the best.

On the West Coast, Shari Ralston, cosmetics and fragrances buyer for PayLess Drug Stores, reports that in the designer category, although Obsession and Eternity are hard to get, when PayLess has them, they sell.

Hottest new lipsticks

1. L'Oreal Cream Rich #302
2. Maybelline Revitalizing #375RL-01
3. L'Oreal L'Artiste Enduring Lip PRL #J028
4. Flame Glow Natural Glow Lipstick
5. Max Factor New Definition Frost
6. Flame Glow Natural Glow Roll-On Gloss
7. Revlon Color Look Lip Base
8. Flame Glow Natural Glow Gloss Stick
9. Revlon Super Lustrous Sheer Berry Bare
10. Revlon Super Lustrous Sheer Nude
11. Revlon Super Lustrous Sheer Clearly Coral
12. Revlon Super Lustrous Sheer Raspberry Revealed
13. Revlon Super Lustrous Sheer Red Translucent
14. Prestige Waterproof Lipstick
15. Revlon Super Lustrous Sheer Barely Pink

Hottest new mascaras

1. Revlon Long & Lustrous Mascara
2. Maybelline Perfectly Natural Mascara
3. Max Factor Splish Splash Mascara
4. Revlon Spring Waterproof Mascara
5. Flame Glow Waterproof Mascara
6. Flame Glow Natural Glow Long Mascara
7. Flame Glow Natural Glow Thick Mascara
8. Maxi Curly Mascara
9. Revlon Slim Mascara
Based on average monthly chain drug dollar volume for products
introduced into the drug and food trade classes between Feb. and July 1991.

Hottest new eye shadow makeups

1. Flame Glow Natural Glow 4-Pan Shadow
2. Flame Glow Natural Glow 3-Pan shadow
3. Max Factor Shadow Blocks
Based on average monthly chain drug dollar volume for products
introduced into the drug and food trade classes between Feb. and July 1991.



Do any of you remember Max Factor Splish Splash Mascara or Shadow Blocks eyeshadows?? Wow! Memories.

Speaking of memories, check out this eyeshadow single from Physicians Formula:

Physicians Formula Eye Color in Leopard (circa 2001)


Thanks to the label on the back of this shadow, I can confirm that this product was released in 2001. I only wish I could remember if it was part of an LE collection or if it was in the core collection. I just remember that they released several different animal print shadows and blushes and that leopard print was huge in the late 1999s/early 2000s. I remember just being mesmerized by this shadow. I HAD to have it!


That's it for this edition of From the Vintage Vault but, as always, I would love to hear from you if you remember any of these products!
SHARE:

21 comments

  1. Well, I remember Flame Glow, and those older L'oreal bottles. I can't really remember exactly what makeup I was using in the 80's and 90's, but I am guessing I had 5 bottles of either mauve or nutmeg creme polish, and nothing but. I didn't have beauty blogs to get me in trouble! I look forward to more posts on antique makeup, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you took me back! Thanks for sharing :O)P

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still see those Loreal-bottles over here (Sweden). I guess we were late to the party?

    Must say I like this idea, From the vintage vault.
    Please tell me you have some Sweet Georgia Brown in there? I used to love that brand. I still look for it on Ebay...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh oooh
    do you has
    maybelline express finish fairy pretty
    or
    orly cool cucumber?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I dont remember these polishes,BUT I love these blast from the past posts. :-) I so think I was born in the wrong decade anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving your vintage posts! They really take me back to my junior high years. I had forgotten about Flame Glow but I'm sure I had some of their cosmetics. And I LOL'd at #9 on the "Hottest New Mascaras" list - can you imagine a mascara with "Slim" in its name today?! That would be a total flop now; they're all about "plump," "fat," etc!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I owned Sheer Bleu Twist! I have memories of using it "Frankening" before I even knew that there were other people in the world that mixed their nail polishes together!

    I also owned a Super Top Speed in a dark blue color that I can't remember the name of now.

    (Papaya Bunny)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't remember any of these products as I was still in elementary school in 2000, but I definitely remember the leopard print craze! I love these posts, and I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I still have my Firecracker. It's my favorite nail polish of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had firecracker! It used to be one of my favorite shades. I love these vintage vault posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Firecracker and Leopard would be a fierce combo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Flame Glow!! I totally remember that! I think they became Naturistics when the whole 'natural' kick took off. Wow, I wish I had kept all my stuff from back then! Especially my Electric Youth perfume!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, Vintage Vault!! Firecracker is so pretty! I remember back in the 90s the only nail polish my mom would use was Revlon Blackberry. I think they still make it? Back in the day I remember it being pretty dark, but years later (around 2000) I picked one up that was much lighter and kind of mauvey. Dunno if it's faulty memory or that really happened. :p

    Anybody remember Max Factor's XXX shine gloss? I had one in.......seventh grade? And loved it, lost it before it was empty, and never saw it again. Was it XXX? I can only remember a classmate making a crack about the name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have Firecracker as well! So happy to see someone else doesn't throw away old polish :) Keep the vault post coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You brought out the LOLz again... my Nana was quite the trendsetter pretty much until her last 2 years or so and she had a ton of Flame Glow products. She would paint her nails almost daily so maybe that's where I got all of this product obsession from? I wish I would have kept her makeup collection after she passed away, it would crack you up, especially after seeing your vintage vault posts! That little old lady was seriously rocking some of this stuff! *hee hee* I just started laughing so hard! Thanks for a sparking a great memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, you guys, THANK YOU so much for your comments on this post! I am THRILLED that you are enjoying this series! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who enjoys a blast from the past!

    And I was very pleasantly surprised to hear that so many of you also owned (or still own) Firecracker! That's awesome!

    shmut: OMG, I LOVED Sweet Georgia Brown!!!! Man, thank you for reminding me of that brand...I'm going to have to dig a little more in my box of goodies and see if I have anything. :)

    chickadee1066: OMG I think you're absolutely right and Flame Glow morphed into Naturistics!! Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish we could seem some swatches of this stuff it was possible. If you don't feel comfortable putting it on your skin maybe on a piece of paper or something? I'm interested to see how some of this stuff has held up, haha. But anyway, I love all this older makeup, I'm so glad you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girrrrllll...when I saw the Revlon Firecracker, I HAD to post a thank you! I ADORE that color and use it sparingly because I fret that I cannot get it again. I wore it to work (I work at a makeup counter) and everyone loved it. Thank you so much for the warm & fuzzy memories!

    Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  19. awesome! i remember the l'oreals; that was my favorite brand back in the day, ahh memories!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have Sheer Bleu Twist - it was sold with an opaque really light bluish white polish, and it was meant to be used to do a twist on the french manicure. I cant remembe rthe name of the bluish whit one. They also sold a green version-sheer light green shimmery polish like the blue, and then an opaque greenish white for the tips. It actually looked really nice when you did the french manicure with it... Cute but different. Anyway, thats why the polish is sheer. I might find a light bluish white polish so i can do the bleu french manicure again... Brings back memories of back in the day :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig