Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, July 5, 2010

My $10 Nail Polish Storage System!

I don't care if you've got 10 polishes or 10,000. The fact of the matter is: everyone needs a good storage system.  Otherwise, you'll forget what you have, and you'll be more inclined to buy new polishes thinking to yourself, "I don't think I have this color at home. Oh what the heck!" only to discover that yes, you DO have this color at home (or something very similar).  Unless you're a nail junkie, no one really needs 20 shades of candy-apple red nail polish.  So my point is, there are lots of advantages to having a good nail color storage system.

A simple plastic container or shoebox will do if your collection is small, but what if you've got years worth of polishes in your collection and, like me, you've got various boxes and crates scattered around the house causing complete chaos when you're looking for a specific shade?  Well, if you've got some extra cash on  your hands, you can get the much-coveted Helmer at Ikea.  The deep drawers of the Helmer allow you to store your polish upright (trust me, you do NOT want to store your polish bottles in any other position) and, to the casual observer, the Helmer allows your addiction to polish to go virtually unnoticed. Looks like just a regular piece of furniture, right?

I could have purchased the Helmer and been done with it.  But at $49.99, that wouldn't have been very Nouveau Cheap of me, right?  So for the past few weeks, I've been scouring Target, Michael's, and finally, dollar stores, to find just the right, and VERY INEXPENSIVE, way to store my polish.  It's been a challenge, but I finally found success at my local Dollar Tree.

Now, let me just get this out of the way: I'm obsessed with nail polish and I always have been (I'm talking since the late 70s when I was in elementary school).  So in case any of you think that I've only recently built up the following collection of polishes, this is actually the accumulation of many years of collecting (I only wish I had hung on to my original Wet n Wild polishes from the late 80s just for memory's sake but, sadly, they disappeared years ago).  The polishes below were all purchased over the last 15 or so years (anything older than that was lost a long time ago).  Yes, I've been on a little "polish bender" as of late, so I actually was horrified to learn that the amount of polishes I THOUGHT I owned (about 150) is actually much higher (300+).  

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, let me introduce you to my new storage system:

(click to magnify)

Each individual crate in this "system" was purchased at Dollar Tree for, of course, $1 each. I required 10 crates to store my entire 300+ polish collection (lucky guess since I bought 10 crates right off the bat and didn't need to go back to Dollar Tree mid-project to get more!).  

The most important thing to note about these square-shaped crates is that they're DEEP.  In my journey to find an inexpensive storage system, I've encountered so many containers that just aren't deep enough to enable you to store your polishes upright.  Many will store standard bottles, but I've got a lot of Japanese bottles that have VERY long brush handles (one in particular that's shaped like a guitar is well over 4 inches tall) so that's one reason why these crates ROCK.  Even my Japanese polishes can stand upright with a few inches to spare.

Another reason why I love these crates is because each one holds roughly 40 bottles of nail polish. So you can easily catagorize your polishes by color, and since you can see through all sides of each crate, you can visually scan though the crates and grab just the crate you want (if you've got a hankering to paint your toes purple, no problem. Just grab your purple crate and head to the couch!).

Let me also mention that these crates are STURDY. Even stacked 5-high, they do not wobble one bit. And they align themselves beautifully with no effort at all. Once you stack them up, they're not going anywhere.

And finally, I love how you can reconfigure these crates in any combination you want.  In the above collage, I stacked them in two different ways (4 in front/six in the back, and 2 stacks of 5, side by side), just to give you an idea of how you can totally customize these to suit your needs.  I also want to note that in the photos of "two stacks of five crates each" I deliberately left a small space in between the two stacks of 5 crates, just to show you that they're not connected. These crates stack together, with no spaces in between, quite easily.

So there you have it! My entire nail polish storage system, which can hold 400+ polishes, has a retail price of just $10 at Dollar Tree.  It may not be pretty, but I don't think it's an eyesore and the best part? IT WORKS!

PS: Each crate is less than a foot wide and a column of 5 crates stands roughly to my hip (I'm 5'5").

So tell me...how do you store your polish?
SHARE:

33 comments

  1. I can always count on you for amazing info like this. I currently store my nail polish in a Helmer, but it will soon be out grown. I don't want to spend that money again on new one so this sounds like a PERFECT option! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good cheap idea, I like my Helmer though. Not really a fan of how this kind of system would fit in my room. I like the Helmer because it's somewhat small yet it holds a lot of polish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your stash and organization! Right now, my polishes are in a basket... I need to find proper storage. I will check out my Dollar store for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really awesome, inexpensive solution! If I didn't have my helmer, I'd do that :)

    I had to store my polishes on their sides until I got my helmer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie: Yay!! Yes, my fave part about this system is that you can just keep adding crates as your stash grows. I don't think my DT will ever run out (they have a million of them!). xo

    Lillian: Thanks, sweetie! :)

    Jen: My system is not for everyone, that's for sure. I'm glad you're happy w/ your Helmer, but I do want to point out that this system looks bigger in these pics than it actually is when you see it in person. BTW, how many polishes does a Helmer hold? I don't think I've ever asked that before!

    Lacey: Thank you, honey! Definitely check out DT and let me know what you find, ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thesungirl: Thank you, honey! :)

    Phyrra: Thanks, sweetie! I was storing some of mine on their sides too, before I found this solution, and what a nightmare, right? I had to shake my bottles for an hour to get them back to their original colors! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just made my day, seriously!

    I have about the same amount you do, all collected since elementary school. (Although I recently shopped my stash and gave away about 30 to my moms friends kindergartner.. every girls gotta have a good selection of colors. :D )
    They're all kind of just in a box right now.. :p I was gonna get the wall storage systems, but they only hold 90 bottles a piece & we're renting so I can't put holes in the wall.. plus the price wasn't so great.

    I'm deff. gonna stop by my local dollar tree sometime this week and pick up a few. :) Thanks for this post, it helped a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip! I'm using a tiny make-up bag & boxes that I received polish in right now. I might check the dollar store for something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was lame and bought 2 Helmers to store my makeup, nail polish, and assorted desk stuff. I only need 1 drawer for polish, and it has a little divider unit in it to help me sort things :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. banana-cave: You're so welcome! I hope you can find something that works for you at your DT! :)

    My Lips But Better: Oh, that's not lame at all! I'm glad the Helmers are working for you--I just really felt compelled to find something less expensive and after looking for so long, I'm happy I finally found something that works really well for me. So we both win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy Crap - the Helmer went UP in price. I just checked my receipt, I paid $39.99 for mine a little over a year ago in CT. I have machine embroidery thread in mine now.

    Good tip for storing the polishes. I don't have that many now, but my collection is growing.

    I think I am going to steal this tip for storing my over flow of embroidery thread since polishes & thread cones are the same height.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I paid $39 for mine when I purchased it just a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know about you but it is always so calming to be able to organize your collections! I'm so jealous of your 300+!! But no worries, I will catch up eventually ;p

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, embrace the polish obsession! I like your storage solution, and its the nouveau cheap way! BTW, nice stash!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey recessionista, since you're a bona fide nail polish collector, can you do a post on your top 5 (or 10 if 5 is too hard) must-have polishes? like if you had to get rid of your stash but could keep 5 or 10 which would they be? thanks!
    -a subscriber

    ReplyDelete
  17. great storage solution. your np collection is amazing

    roxy
    http://roxybeautyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, I have been racking my brain trying to think of a way to store my polish. I have a few hundred (I'm guessing, but I haven't actually counted), all of which are in a huge tupperware container, strewn every which way. Needless to say, I have got to figure out a better way.

    I know where I'm heading over lunch - definitely the dollar tree! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a little over 200 n/ps and I store them in little plastic shelves I guess? They're like stack-able crates that are probably the height of the n/p or shorter. 2 I got from target, the others are from dollar stores. I organize mine by brand :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your little note about your pedi in the picture. Ha!

    Great storage idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea. Perfect storage system without taking up too much space!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tooo store my stash in the Dollar Tree black plastic crates like you! Small world. I had no idea they had a Dollar Tree in San Diego.

    I thought they were an east coast thing...hmmm but yeah these things are awesome, now I only have 2 but I could use a thrid one....and they are way cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. great storage idea and only $10!! wow look at all ur nail polishes ^^ :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great idea! If I didn't already have a Helmer, I would've definitely did this! It's nice that you can see all your polishes instead of having them hidden. But I do like to hide mine so no one knows how obsessed I am. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I recently came up with a soultion after going to my local goodwill.. You can check it out here http://urpeacock.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-storage-solution.html please check it out. It's a cheap solution too :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. How in the world did I miss this the first time around? Love it but I'd feel so 'exposed'. ;)
    I use rubbermaid CD holders and such for mine. Each color has it's own container. These containers are small enough to hide on the shelves in my closet that are located behind hanging clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My "system" is a spreadsheet...and as far as storage goes, they're all in one drawer in semi-chromatic order XD. The spreadsheet works a lot better for me in terms of organization because I can use swatches to remember what I have and if anything looks similar to something else. Then again, I have a little under eighty so it's not as hard for me to keep track of colors I have/don't have...it sounds strange to be able to remember that many colors, but if you asked me I could probably name most of the polishes I own in one color category (e.g. reds, pinks, greys, etc.). I just can't remember ALL of them at once :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. wooow i thought i had alot of polish i may have like 20 or 30.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, G! Your creativity constantly astounds us... The little (okay, massive) penny-pincher in me is cheering for you!!! Only TEN BUCKS?! You go, girl! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig