Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, May 16, 2010

Swatchfest: New Petites Color Fever and CQ Nail Polishes

If you're not familiar with Petites and CQ nail polishes, both brands are extremely affordable ($2.99-$3.99) and can be found at Rite Aid and Walmart (I've never seen them at CVS and Walgreens but it could be different in your area).

When I was at my local Rite Aid yesterday, I came across some new Petites and CQ shades (in fact, a whole new line!) and I can't wait to show you what I purchased. If you missed my post from yesterday, including pics of ALL of the new shades and the new line, click here.

First up, we've got a shade from the new Petites Color Fever line:

(click any image to enlarge)


Petites Color Fever in Vintage Gray (retail: $3.99)

If you're a longtime reader of this blog, then the fact that I purchased the greige in this new line will come as absolutely NO surprise to you. And of course, since I own just about every variation of drugstore greige nail polish currently available, I have to show you how Vintage Gray compares to the rest of them!


I threw in a true gray (Sally Hansen Wet Cement) just so you can see how much gray is in Vintage Gray. After stacking up the bottles side by side, I chose the ones I wanted to swatch next to Vintage Gray:


Not really a dupe in the bunch, but I'd have to say that Vintage Gray most closely resembles American Apparel Mouse (I know Mouse is not a drugstore brand but, at $6 a bottle, AA polishes certainly qualify as affordable).

So if you can't get to an American Apparel store and you don't want to order online, I'd say that Petites Color Fever Vintage Gray is a nice alternative, though obviously not an exact dupe.

Also from the Petites Color Fever line, I purchased this little beauty:


Petites Color Fever in Periwinkle (retail: $3.99)

After going through my rather large nail color stash, I am so happy to say that I don't currently own any polishes that I could pull to do a comparison. All of my polishes are either true lavenders, lilacs, purples or blues, and NOTHING I own even remotely compares to this lavender-periwinkle. I love love love it! If you're a periwinkle fan, you neeeed this one!

I'm very happy to report that in all of the pics above, I only needed two coats of Petites Color Fever polish for complete opacity. In fact, Periwinkle was pretty much opaque on the first coat. I am SO relieved, because I know a lot of us have had issues with streaky colors from Petites. No issues here. Also, both shades went on very smoothly, they weren't thick or goopy, and they were super easy to work with. The brush is small and narrow. I was hoping I wouldn't open the bottle to reveal a Sally Hansen Insta-Dri brush (aka huge, flat and stiff) and I was happy to see the old school small, narrow brush staring back at me. :)

I also purchased a new shade from CQ:


CQ Tahitian Green (retail: $2.99)

Let me just vent for a second and say that greens, teals and blues are a b#$%& to photograph accurately. I couldn't get the real-life shade to appear in any of these pics even after post-editing for hours and hours (ok, that's an exaggeration but I did spend probably 30 minutes tweaking the tint, saturation, etc. and this was as close as I could get).

Let me just show you the best photo I could capture of this bottle:


Can you see the blue shimmer floating around there? It's GORGEOUS in person and it makes Tahitian Green far more complex and beautiful than my pictures indicate. If you are a green or teal nail polish lover, I think you might fall in love with this one.

The only color I have in my stash that I thought might even remotely compare to Tahitian Green is Milani Fresh Teal (I know Fresh Teal is a creme, but it's all I've got).

When you look at the bottles side-by-side, it seems like they might be close, right?


But on the nails? No way:


Just another reason why you need Tahitian Green in your life. On toes this summer? This would look H.O.T.

Oh, and unlike several other CQ polishes in my stash, Tahitian Green didn't give me any problems at all with streakiness. These pics were taken after two coats. The formula did get a little thick the longer I worked with it, but nothing compared to the L'Oreal shade I showed you a little while back.

So, are these new Petites and CQ polishes a worthy investment? HECK YES! I say, look for them until you find them, and snatch them up ASAP.

Based on the color selection, opacity, ease of application and price, these new Petites Color Fever and CQ polishes definitely deserve my ultimate stamp of approval:


Do you already own any of these new polishes? If so, what colors do you have? If not, are you thinking about getting some? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I think Pure Ice's "Kiss me here" grey is way better than Sally Hansen's Wet Cement. I had bought Wet Cement at Walmart, tried it and didn't like it so I returned it. That's when I saw the Pure Ice gray color and bought it for just $2. It's the truest gray I've ever seen/used!

    Also, Walmart sells Petites and CQ and for much cheaper than Rite Aid. I have yet to see any of the new colors at the Rite Aids in my area (Memphis).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fresh teal and I think Tahitian Green is far prettier!
    How are the staying power of these polishes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That periwinkle shade is beautiful!
    I have a nail polish and nail health question:
    I've noticed that ever since I started wearing nail polish a few of my nails seem dented in the middle, has anyone else had this happen to them? The same thing happened to my sister. I don't know if it's a result of the nail polish, but just curious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We dont have a Rite Aid, but I'm going to check my Wal-Mart for these...love the new CQ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that periwinkle color! And I thought I'd let you know.. I went totally crazy at the CVS sale today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need Vintage Gray now! Maybe I'll stop by Walmart tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely going to check my Walmart for Periwinkle & Vintage Gray - absolutely LOVE those colors! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Periwinkle looks very cute!

    Did you have any problem with these after removal? I purchased a Petites nailpolish (not this line) a while ago and even with the use of a base coat my nails were still stained! Also--when I accidentally got polish on my skin no amount of remover could take the blue tint off my skin :( Did you have that problem with these too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The griege colors just don't appeal to me. I guess it's because I want my nails to stand out. But, suffice it to say, it is a 'safe' color and great for interviews. ;)

    Now the Petites and CQ polishes are something I would go for. Will look for those at WM.

    This was an awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the periwinkle Color Fever, and I too was seriously impressed by the opacity of the polish. It seems like all the CF polishes are pretty much 1-coat and done polishes. I love the tiny bottle (good for trying out colors or special occasion colors you won't use much) and the quality is spot on! I also have a metallic pink CF polish that is amazing! (I went a little crazy during the BOGO 1/2 off Nail Polish sale at Rite Aid a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nikita: Thanks for the info. I very rarely shop at Walmart so I'm glad I actually love SH Wet Cement. lol! :)

    PCS: I wish I could tell you about the staying power but I did those swatches back to back and didn't keep them on afterward. BUT, I did wash a full sink of dishes with Vintage Gray on one hand and it didn't chip or peel, so I'm hoping that means they'll be good. :)

    Dianne: Hum...I wish I knew what to tell you! My nails just have a lot of ridges anyway, so I never noticed that they were specifically due to wearing nail polish, but maybe I should start paying attention to that! Did you try buffing your nails to see if that helped? Maybe once you buff them, you can apply polish again, and if the dent comes back, maybe it is do to the polishes you're using? I can't be sure but I'd try that little experiment and see. :)

    adorepink: I am crossing my fingers that you can find these new polishes in your area ASAP, girlie! :)

    Sarah: YAY!!! OMG, you have to tell me what you got! :D

    Tiffany: It's even more gorgeous in person. So yes, you need it. lol! :)

    Carla: Oh I'm so glad you like these colors too! Keep me posted and let me know if/when you find them? :)

    shei: Absolutely no problems with these yet. But then again, I always wear Orly Bonder base coat, and for these pictures I swatched everything very quickly and back-to-back so they didn't really have time to stain. I will let you know if I encounter any problems later on though. :)

    Kimberly: Thank you! Don't get me wrong--I like bright, colorful nails too, but sometimes I crave something calm and I think greiges are a great alternative to nudes, which generally look horrible on my skin. lol! :D

    erinmw: Yay!! I am so glad you like Periwinkle too!! And I'm glad to know that metallics seem to be just as nice as the cremes. Thanks so much for the info! xo

    Jackie: You are so welcome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have tried everything from google search, rite aid.com and walmart to find Petites Color Fever Vintage Gray 519. I live in Frisco, Texas and that nail polish is sold no where here. Help?!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! New fan here. In searching for a review on the new Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo, I found your blog, and have found myself here for the last hour now! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig