Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Review: L'Oreal HiP Color Rich Cream Crayons

You guys made me go through my big ol' box of past obsessions and dig these out for review! Sorry, let me back up and explain.

After seeing all of your wonderful comments on this post about what you've spotted on clearance at your local CVS locations, I noticed that several of you have purchased these HiP Color Rich Cream Crayons for 75% off ($2.49 each!) and some of you had L'Oreal $1 coupons (I'm so proud of you!) which brought your total down to just $1.49 each. I figured since so many of you have been finding these pencils on clearance, I might as well tell you that, about two years ago, I was OBSESSED with these babies. I mean, I went through a period where I wouldn't even wait for a sale and I bought one in every single color just to have a complete set.

But as is the case with all of my little makeup obsessions, these pencils eventually made their way to the "past obsessions" box in my home, only to be dug out today to review. I don't even know why I stopped using these--I'm assuming some new pencil came around and stole my attention. But after playing around with them again today (I could only find two shades even though I KNOW I have all of them somewhere around here), I once again see why I was so obsessed with them to begin with.

So I'm bringing you this review in case you spot these on clearance at your CVS...you need to know how awesome they are!



As you can see, these are jumbo, twist-up pencils. I almost always used them as eyeliner, but you can definitely use them as shadow as well. Meticulous is a champagne beige-brown, and Authentic is a deep forest green (both shades are shimmery).


At the end of each pencil there is a sharpener. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to sharpening, so I usually used these without ever sharpening them, but it's nice to know that you can sharpen them down to a fine point if you want to.

Here's Authentic, sharpened, and Meticulous, unsharpened.


As you can see, these are very pigmented pencils, and they glide across the skin with ease. No tugging at all.


And they don't budge! The above pic was taken after the rub-test (taking my index finger and rubbing back and forth for about 10 seconds). When I first bought one of these, I totally EXPECTED it to smear and fade throughout the course of the day. But it didn't. And I think this is what ultimately led to my obsession in the first place. A creamy, pigmented jumbo pencil that doesn't smear or fade like crazy on my oily skin? That's almost unheard of, right?


Here's a pic with flash--these really are pretty, aren't they?

So for just $2.49 on clearance (or $1.49 if you have a L'Oreal coupon) I think these are worthy of running out to CVS today to try and find. Writing this review has totally renewed my love for these pencils.


Did you buy any of these recently at the CVS beauty clearance sale? Are you planning on picking some up if you find them? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. a own a couple of these i really like them....good review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up the shade Meticulous on Sunday without knowing anything about it and was so pleased to find out how awesome it was!

    I got it for only 49c because I had a $2 off L'Oreal HiP product from the CVS coupon machine a couple weeks ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up authentic yesterday cuz they were the only ones with the 75% off sticker, although i wonder if meticulous is also on clearance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought these two colors! Unfortunately my tourist CVS has higher prices than yours! On clearance these were $2.99 for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to everyone for scoring these crayons! I only owned one b4 this particular clearance sale.

    @ Jennifer ...whoooo hoooo $2 off! You go girl!

    You are so right about these not budging. Prior to going to CVS, fresh from the shower, I slathered on A LOT of raw shea butter. There was some left on my hands. When I swatched on top of the rubbed in shea butter, I did not expect the colors to adhere. Not only did they stick to the sheabuttered skin, LOL but I washed my hands 5 different times b4 I even saw the colors fade! I cannot wait to pair them with some of my HiP loose pigments & e/s duos! This is an amazing product! I am hoping they are just repackaging to make them look like the rest of the "studio secrets" line. I would hate to be without them in the future.

    I was able to get all 4 of the colors I did not have previously.

    Intricate - Navy Blue
    Authentic - Hunter Green
    Perfectionist - Black
    Light Gold - Meticulous

    If I could shout from the rooftops how CRITICAL these crayons are, I would. & @ 75% off even w/o a coupon, they are a killer deal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Walmart is remodelling right now and has the craziest clearance section! I got four Hard Candy nail polishes over the past few weeks for $1-2 each (and one for free because the sticker price and the price that rang up were different). They included Mr. Wrong, Frenzy, and Sugar Daddy (or whatever the pretty topping color is called)!

    I also got one of these HiP eye pencil/crayon things in Meticulous and it was free too because of the price in the system not matching the sticker price! I didn't have to argue it or anything, just pointed out that it'd rung up at full price and they automatically made it free. It's great for when I'm in a hurry.

    I got a few other random makeup things from there too. And then today I really struck paydirt.

    I FOUND HIDDEN TREASURE. FOR $1. I have no clue why it was in clearance, but there was one bottle left. I also got the Salon Manicure polishes in Polar Bare and Peachy Keen, and Insta-Dri in Quick Sand and Blush Rush. All for $1 each! Oh, and a HiP Jelly Balm for the same price.

    I totally made out at the CVS sale too. They have all the Carmindy Sally Hansen lip products 75% off at my CVS. And I got some of the other stuff that you showed pictures of as being on clearance.

    Sorry I don't have time to read all the comments and see if any of this is real news, but I'm staying with my mom right now and only have internet occasionally at the library. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hana

    OMG I AM SO JEALOUS ABOUT HIDDEN TREASURE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got Meticulous today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I'm in because you said that it had anti-rubbing ability. Will check CVS stores tomorrow while out working. I don't have the coupon, so if I can't find one online, I'll probably keep it to a selection of one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had bought the black one once when I first got into makeup, I thought it was an eyeliner... I never thought to use it as a base. But when I opened it, the entire crayon from the inside flew across the room. It was so weird. And I was so sad lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello? Can you say MAC SHADESTICK dupe? Yeah! I am SO going to the store to get these, pronto!
    :)


    Me
    http://goregeousmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig