Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, May 23, 2010

Interesting new product from....Stridex??

I will totally admit to you that I still suffer from occasional bouts of Adult Acne.  I've never had terrible acne, per say, but I do get T.O.T.M. blemishes that can be impossible to camouflage with even the best concealers.  

So when I saw this article the other day on prnewswire.com I though, "Really?" Check out some excerpts from the article:

Stridex brings the best of nature and the science of acne treatment together with the launch of Stridex Naturally Clear™ medicated pads. Naturally Clear offers a 98.8 percent natural formula, proven acne effectiveness, and does not contain any irritating alcohol. Naturally Clear is the latest addition to the only alcohol-free acne pad line, which includes Stridex Maximum Strength, Essential and Sensitive, meeting a variety of cleansing and acne treatment needs.

Naturally Clear's formula contains the essential antioxidants white tea, pomegranate and soy, ingredients known to promote stronger, healthier skin, and a smooth, more even complexion. It removes dirt and oil with a natural cleansing system and provides an effective level of salicylic acid (1 percent) to clear up and prevent breakouts.

Naturally Clear's pads are 20 percent larger than typical acne pads and make acne treatment more convenient than before. The larger pad is easier to hold and maximizes cleaning coverage, while the corners of the triangular design allow users to get into hard-to-reach areas. Stridex's signature soft-touch, textured pad ensures deep and effective cleaning with added comfort.

Stridex Naturally Clear pads are now available and retail for $5.49-$6.49 for 70 pads.

And here is the full ingredient list from drugstore.com:

Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (1% (w/w) Acne Medication)

Inactive Ingredients: Betaine, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (White Tea), Decyl Glucoside, Fragrance (Parfum), Glycerin, Glycine Soja Seed Extract (Soybean), Potassium Sorbate, Punica Granatum Extract (Pomegranate), Purified Water, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Phytate, Tocopheryl Acetate

I haven't used a Stridex product in many, many years, but this one? I might just give it a shot the next time I get a blemish that drives me crazy. 

Oh, and according to Wikipedia, betaine is a compound found in sugar beets that is sometimes used to treat muscular degeneracy. Not sure of its intended function in this product...any chemistry majors out there that can give us some more insight into betaine?

So what do you think? If you suffer from mild to moderate acne (according to Stridex, this is the intended demographic for this product) would you be willing to give Stridex Naturally Clear a shot? Do you think six bucks for 70 pads is a fair price?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. I'll be on the look out for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't suffer from acne but this new product sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought these for my mild acne/blackheads.

    They smelled nice and were gentle, but did nothing for my skin so I won't be repurchasing. I was very please that it was an all natural formula and alcohol free. (very important to me :) )
    I think they would work for someone out there, worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Salicylic Acid for body breakouts and it works well. The active ingredient in this product (Salicylic Acid) isn't any different from other acne treatment products.

    The alcohol-free formula is definitely a plus so it could be less drying. However, Salicylic Acid is a beta hydroxy, so its properties will inherently cause exfoliation and peeling.

    In short: The active ingredient is the same as other acne products, and the new formula may be more gentle. I think it's worth a shot with those who have luck with Salicylic Acid products.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely would try this. I never thought to use the regular stridex since it seemed a bit harsh, but this looks more gentle yet still effective. I also get totm breakouts and they bug me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great that they have an alcohol free formula now!

    But won't the fragrance so high on the list still be irritating for acne prone skin?

    I don't have acne prone skin, but I do use Stridex on my feet. BHA's (like salicylic acid) are great for foot exfoliation. If you swipe a pad over your feet, let it dry, then apply a moisturizing foot creme your feet will be super smooth an callus-free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, potentially good if my current regime doesn't pan out to work for me like I'm hoping it will... tho less peeling is always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just went out and got stridex, but now i think this one would be nicer. anyway, I just wanted to let you know that i really enjoy your blog and wanted to give you a sweet blog award! you can check it out here [http://glaucomagirl.blogspot.com/2010/05/from-sweet-collection-to-sweet-award.html]

    ReplyDelete
  9. While it's nice that this is "natural", I seem to recall reading that 1% Salicyclic Acid is too low to be effective. I think the minimum scientifically detemined threshold is 1.5%, although I'm not sure. I know that 2% is the amount usually found in products for a reason! I do give props to Stridex for the alcohol-free line, as I think they are the only maker of products with BHA and without alcohol, which is an irritant. I will be choosing from among their other alcohol-free products myself. (And if there's one without menthol, I'll go with that one, as menthol can also me an irritant.)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig