Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Favorite Jane Be Pure Mineral Products

You can't call yourself a recessionista and not be a fan of Jane Cosmetics. For years now, Jane has brought us some of the best drugstore cosmetics that I've ever had the pleasure of using, and I know that many of you reading this already adore many Jane products (Eye Zings eyeshadows and Blushing powder blushes just to name a few).

So how in the heck did I miss the boat on the Jane Be Pure Mineral collection?? I really don't know how it happened, but I was recently sent several products to try from this collection and I've got say: better late than never!

Today I'd like to share with you my favorites from the group of products I was sent, and I'd love to hear what your favorites are as well. So let's get started:

I've mentioned a few times on the blog how much I love Jane Be Pure Mineral Lip Balms, because they're just so creamy, smooth, and the colors are absolutely gorgeous (plus, they taste and smell like vanilla!). But for some reason I had never tried the shade "Toffee" until it was sent to me. OMG, I think I finally, after decades of searching, found my ultimate holy grail "Your Lips But Better" shade. Check it out:

Jane Be Pure Mineral Lip Balm in Toffee (retail: approx. $3.50)

My (dry and chapped) lips before:

After:

Can you see how this shade is almost the exact shade of my natural pigmentation? It truly is my lips...but better! Yippee!!!

Moving on, can someone please explain why no one ever bothered to tell me how AWESOME Jane Be Pure Mineral Gel Eyeliner is??

Jane Be Pure Mineral Gel Eyeliner in Black (retail: approx. $5.99)

Take a close look at this picture above. Do you see how on the surface of the liner, it looks just lightly smudged? Well as many of you gel/cream eyeliner fans know, this is not how a gel liner looks after you've used it a dozen times. But this is how Jane liner looks after a dozen times! I don't understand it, but when you swipe your brush against this product, your brush doesn't dig into it like usual gel liners--it just grazes the surface and, magically, that's all you need to pick up the perfect amount of liner for application. The best analogy I can give is that it's like swiping your finger across a pot of lip balm. Normally, your finger will not dig into the product--you'll just swipe the surface. And that's exactly what happens with Jane Be Pure Mineral Gel Eyeliner. Which means that one pot will last you forever! Also, you never have to worry about your brush picking up too much product.

Here are some swatches of what it looks like when I lightly run my brush across this liner and apply it to my skin:

In real life, these lines are even more of an intense, true black. I am just so impressed at how smooth and wonderful the texture of this liner is to work with, and how fantastic the pigmentation is, even thought it feels like you might not have enough on your brush. Believe me, you do!

And here's the smudge test (I took my index finger and rubbed back and forth across the lines for about 10 seconds):
They barely budged! And I rubbed and rubbed and applied a lot of pressure, too. Boy oh boy, I am just incredibly impressed by this eyeliner, and it's quickly becoming my favorite drugstore gel liner that I find myself reaching for every day.

And finally, I want to share with you my other newly discovered Jane Be Pure Mineral product that I am loving these days:

Jane Be Pure Mineral Correcting Concealer in Medium (retail: approx. $4.50)

If you love the full coverage of long-wear concealers like Revlon ColorStay but you've got skin that's on the dry side and might not react well to long-wear concealers, this might just be your dream product.

As you all know, I love my long-wear concealers for their full coverage and ability to stay put, but sometimes even I have issues with them during the winter months. And that is why I am LOVING this concealer, ladies.

It comes in a click-pen delivery system and I think that's just genius for an under-eye concealer. You can blend, blend, blend with the brush and really get into the tight spaces on your face like the area between your inner eye and the bridge of your nose. Also, I love the creamy texture of this concealer--but don't worry because the creaminess goes away after it's blended and it dries down into a nice, natural finish after that.

And the coverage? Awesome! It covered my undereye darkness and didn't settle into my fine lines. Also, I was super pleased with the staying power of this concealer, especially since most concealers (if they're not long-wear) seem to disappear on my oily skin within two or three hours. Jane Be Pure Minerals Correcting Concealer lasted the full day on my face. I love it!

So there you have it--my current favorites from the Jane Be Pure Mineral collection. I'd love to know what your favorites from Jane are, so please leave a comment and tell me all about them!

Also, please stay tuned because there might a fabulous new giveaway coming up VERY soon....and it might feature some of the products I just mentioned!
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. i bought that liner in the wine shade and found that even though i used it infrequently, after it was unsealed, it quickly grew crumbly, flaky, and lumpy. i gave up, threw it away (along with the aged HiP one and a dead liquid liner) and replaced all three with the PF set.

    it was too bad, because the colour itself was very pretty dark purple with pink or reddish shimmer.

    (also, holy swatches, Batman! look at the brown, haha: http://www.rebornbeauty.com/productDetail.asp?productID=112)

    i'm glad it works for you though especially for the great staying power. maybe i'll try it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jane products! When I was little I bought my first lipstick form them. It smelled minty, so when my mom asked me if I brushed my teeth, a lot of times I put on the lipstick, held my mouth open, careful not to breathe, and she smelled the lipstick instead! Genius product, wish they still made it. I love the AguaCeuticals sheer tinted moisturizer and I just ordered a bunch of their foundations that I am eagerly awaiting their arrival so I can do a full review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that the gel liner worked for you. It was a horrible smudgy mess on me but I've got very watery eyes. I absolutely agree with you about the texture though. I loved that too, so it was a shame about the smudging.

    Oooh, I don't think I've ever seen the concealer pen before. Next time I go to Rite Aid I'll have to see if they have it.

    I would have to say that my favorite Jane Be Pure Mineral products are their quilted blushes. In fact I think I love them more than the ones in the black pots. The mineral blush colors just seem to suit me better. I find that the colors and textures of these are softer, and they have more of a subtle sheen compared to the the shimmery Blushing Cheeks blushes (like Blushing Orchid Shimmer or Blushing Earth Sheer).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that the liner worked for you! A year ago I bought the Wine and Navy shades, and when I opened them up they were very very dry and completely unusable.

    However, my HG blush is Jane Blushing Baby Doll!! The most natural blush on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautifulmonday: Wow, that is a BUMMER about what happened with your Jane liner! I would be so upset! I wonder if they've reformulated these because I have had mine for about three weeks and I see no sign of drying? Or maybe it takes a few months to dry out? Who knows. All I know is that I'm currently in love with how it's performing for me! lol. And I just looked at those swatches--um, yeah. They're a TINY bit off on the colors, aren't they! lol! :)

    PoorCollegeStudent: LOL! That is a cute story. :) And you know, they make a clear mint version of the Mineral lip balm, so maybe you can recapture that feeling again. lol! And glad you like your tinted moisturizer! That's awesome! :)

    Mimsy: I'm so sorry this liner ran for you. I actually feel asleep with it on the other night (such a no-no, I know) and I was shocked to see it perfectly in place the next morning! lol. And of course I'd love to know what you think of the concealer if you try it! And yes, the quilted blushes ARE awesome! Thanks for reminding me! :)

    Victoria: Wow, you're the second commenter to say that these dried out on you! I am so sorry to hear that. :( So far so good with the one I have, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it and see if it starts to dry. And omg, I love Blushing Baby Doll too! It's such a soft, pretty shade. I bet it looks *gorgeous* on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A caveat about the concealer... Both my friend and I have used it, and it's weirdly chalky and cakey on both of us. x.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. sadly, i have never tried anything from jane. I really wanted to try the gel liner though. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been using my Jane gel eyeliner for a while now, and even though it's begun to dry up on me, it still works just fine if I moisten my liner brush with a little water before using the product. I always preferred them over the HIP cream liners.

    ReplyDelete
  9. clementine: You know, I read somewhere that the reason some people might find this chalky is that they chose the wrong shade? I don't know if that's true in your case, obviously, but I personally had NO problems with chalkiness or caking. And believe me, I am hyper-aware of those two issues when it comes to concealers! lol. On me, this applied like a dream; it was super smooth and didn't cake in the slightest. Sorry this didn't work out for you or your friend though. :(

    Becky: Never tried anything from Jane?? Honey, you need some Jane in your life! At the very least, you have GOT to try one of the Mineral Lip Balms. The colors are pigmented yet sheer, and they have the best texture EVER. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim: Thanks so much for the tip! If mine ever starts to dry out on me, I will definitely try this! And yes, I have to say that I like this liner better than HiP, hands down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought the cream liner in black last september and it did dry up very quickly. I used it barely 3 times and I threw it off :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim: i did try adding some water or some liquid primer to rescusitate the liner (because it was SO pretty) but it didn't really work...it would go on patchy. now i have to say i had the liner for about 2 years, but it didn't impress me texture-wise even after i'd used it the first time.

    R: i hope you don't have this problem. i did wonder based on your description if they'd gotten a lot of AAGGGHHH feedback and reformulated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had the same problem with the black gel liner.. so I made a batch of homemade mixing medium (Koren on Youtube shows you how)and it's still useable. I hate to throw out something I really enjoy using. Hope this helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. alteregoishere, beautifulmonday and Lysses: WOW, I am so sorry to hear that you all had the same drying problem with the gel liner. I am really starting to wonder if they reformulated this because so far, I just haven't seen that issue with my pot and the liner is performing just as good for me as the first day I used it. I will check with Jane and see if I can get an answer because I'd love to be able to tell you that you won't have that problem if you get a new pot! Thanks so much for the great feedback and I will definitely keep you (and everyone else who commented on the drying issue) posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've only really liked the Jane blushes but I have tried the gel liner and that thing dried on me so fast! Man, I just had to swap it away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a big fan of their gel eyeliners! I found them when I was doing the YT reviews. Also, I don't know if they're going to continue to carry them - maybe you can tell me - but they originally started the Be Pure line with these AMAZING, FANTASTIC cream stick blushes. I swear to you, they looked like push-up pops and the colors were so gorgeous. I jealously guard mine. Gee, can you tell I'm a huge fan of them or what? I really hope they'll have those again.
    I'm going to be looking for that concealer, that's pretty darned neat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Come to think of it, those cream blushes might have been a part of the Aguaceuticals. o_O Now I'm not sure! The casing is a cream/tan color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am wondering if it might be true that they reformulated this or something. I went to rite-aid to get some today (ended up getting the maybelling...it was 40% off, lol), but I noticed that not all the boxes containted jars that were the same shape. Some were more "curved" and others were more "chunky" in design. Both boxes said "new" on them though, so I don't know. Has anybody else noticed the difference in pot shapes?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig