Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Walgreens beauty clearance sale report

So I FINALLY made it over to a Walgreens last night to check out their beauty clearance sale. There's been so much talk about CVS's sale (here on my blog and elsewhere) but after a helpful anonymous Walgreens employee left a comment here recently about how hundreds of items a week are going to be marked down in the beauty department, I HAD to go see for myself (and thanks to so many of you who have reported what you've been seeing on sale at your local Walgreens).

I have to say that I was expecting huge reductions in the makeup department, only because I had heard (and posted here a few months ago) a rumor that Walgreens has decided to scale back their ENTIRE beauty department in 2010. I was very bummed to hear this (as well as the news that they've ended their relationship with Physicians Formula and will no longer carry that brand in their stores), but I was hoping that would mean massive sales this month.

I tried to remember as best I could what I saw on clearance. Lots of nail polishes (of course all the good shades were already taken), and various different Revlon, Almay and CoverGirl foundations, but only select shades were marked down. The best deals I saw were in the CoverGirl and Rimmel sections--Rimmel lip glosses and nail polishes which were marked down to $1.09. Also, all CoverGirl nail polishes were reduced to $1.09 each. The other clearance items from various brands were marked down to $5 or $2.49 but there wasn't a lot to choose from.

I was able to score a CoverGirl foundation I've been eyeing for a while:



I got this for $2.49 (retail price: $8.99). Not a bad deal! I have done no research on this foundation so I have no idea if it will work for me, but I love "whipped" anything so we'll see how it goes. Do any of you already have this foundation? I'd love to know what you think. Also, if you want me to post a review of it, just leave a comment and I'd be happy to!

One thing that Walgreens' clearance sale has over CVS is that haircare and skincare are also on clearance. I saw a TON of good deals in the haircare aisle, like some select Nexxus products for $3, and a lot of different brands of shampoo and conditioner for $1.79 each. In the skincare aisle I spotted a lot of body lotions, facial moisturizers, cleansers and treatments on clearance but I got there too late and all of the good stuff (Aveeno, Clean & Clear, etc.) was already picked over.

All in all, I would say you should definitely take a trip to Walgreens and check it out for yourself. If things haven't been picked over yet, you might be able to snag some great deals on select products, but don't expect the vast, deep discounts on makeup that you're seeing at CVS (at least for now).

Also, I wanted to let you know that I saw the new Rimmel Moisture Renew lipstick display:





As I mentioned yesterday, these lipsticks come a sleek, metallic purple case, which is pretty cute. I actually attempted to purchase the shade "Dusty Rose" which is a pinky-brown creme (surprise surprise, I know, me and those pinky-browns!) and it looked quite lovely in the tube. HOWEVER, I was promptly talked out of purchasing this lipstick by the employee at the register!

Let me back up and tell you that during this shopping trip, I also bought some vitamins, which were marked down from $14.99 to $6.99 with a bonus $3.00 in Register Rewards. So I told the cashier right up front that I wanted to purchase everything BUT the lipstick in one transaction, so that I could use my $3 Register Rewards to purchase the lipstick (so I'd only have to pay $3.49 for the lipstick instead of $7.49). She said that would be no problem. After I paid for my first transaction, she picked up the lipstick to ring it up and then stopped and said, "Oh, this is Rimmel? You should really wait to buy this because all Rimmel products are going to be 50% off next week." I looked at her and said, "Are you sure it's not just the old stuff? This is brand new." And she said, "No, ALL Rimmel is going to be half off next week. I'm sure of it." So...how could I not take her advice? I put the lipstick back and now I just have to wait and hope that the two tubes of Dusty Rose that are in the new display do not sell out before next week!

So, what have YOU spotted at your local Walgreens? Leave a comment here and share you finds with us!
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. It seems inevitable that when I go to Walgreens for something on sale, the color I want is sold out. I drive by there every time I go to town (live in the next small town over) so I go ahead and buy the thing in the wrong color (formula, whatever) and keep it for a week or so. (Put the bag, with the receipt in it, in your reuseable shopping bag if you're forgetful.) When it goes off sale and they restock, I can exchange for the correct color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are still a lot of Physician's Formula on sale at my Walgreens, mostly just half-off. There was also a bunch of Milani that was marked down - I thought that was unusual. I scored a Rimmel blusher for .79 and an Almay Near Naked liquid foundation for $3.19.

    Very excited for the Rimmel half-off, we got the paper today. I wonder if they're eliminating that brand in their cut-back...? Or if this is just a promotional sale, who knows.

    (& You're lucky! The cosmetics cashier at mine doesn't give me those little tips when I check out, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo I love Walgreens - off to America again in September, can't wait!

    (p.s I've tagged you on my blog!x)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise: It sounds like you've got your system down pat! lol. I buy colors that I know won't work for me too--I'm always hoping that something has changed and that a particular color WILL work for me after all, but it never ends up happening. I guess at this stage of the game, we're experts on being able to eyeball exactly which shades work and which don't, huh? :)

    audrrri: The PF stuff at my Walgreens is totally wiped out at this point. You're lucky you still have a lot to choose from! And my Walgreens doesn't even carry Milani! What's up with that? And yes, I'm very curious to see if they're getting rid of Rimmel altogether or if this is a just a promotion. Hum... Thanks for all the great info! xo

    Becky: Thank you so much for the tag--I'm off to check it out now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cashiers who give you a heads up on sales and promotions! I might just pick up another SM foundation next week then.

    =)

    I don't really like the True Blend whipped foundations. They're sort of like the Maybelline mousse one. Application is a little difficult when the mousse clumps together... :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got the CG Whipped Foundation, and I think it's quite nice, actually. Longevity isn't that great, but for a whipped foundation, coverage is awesome. I reviewed it recently on my blog, so check it out if you'd like! i really love all of your drugstore savings reports, so keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really hoping Walgreens will have new stuff on sale today when I get there. I spent hours cutting and organizing coupons, so I'm ready if there is. lol. The other thing that would be cool if any of the stuff that is BOGO 50% this week is marked way down too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you go back? I wanted to go and get some of the new Rimmel Nail Polish with this sale but the flyer says face and eye cosmetics only.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig