Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Review: Wet n Wild MegaEyes Creme Eyeliner and Perfect Pair Eye Wand

With all the crazy launches of drugstore makeup lines over the past several weeks, I thought I'd return to an old favorite today and show you a review of some Wet n Wild eye products I've been using recently.

Wet n Wild was kind enough to send me a shipment of products a while back and I've been carefully making my way through them to bring you my thoughts on products you can find at your local Wet n Wild display.

Let's start with the Wet n Wild MegaEyes Creme Eyeliner which I received in "866 Black" (retail: around $4):



This liner comes in a cute, flying-saucer-shaped container and it also comes with a liner brush.



As you can see, you get a lot of product for the price (note: the stuff you see on the rim of the jar is actually leftover glue from the safety seal--I don't want anyone to think that the product is messy--it's actually very clean).



Let me show you pics of the Wet n Wild Eye Wand now because I'll show you swatches of both the Creme Eyeliner and Eye Wand together in second:




The Wet n Wild Perfect Pair Eye Wand is a double-ended automatic pencil. The shade I was given is "110 Black Slate" (retail: around $3).



Here's the eyeshadow end of the pencil, which is a medium shimmery (almost metallic) silver.



And here's the eyeliner end, which is your basic black.

So how did these products perform? Let's take a look at some swatches:


From left to right, Eye Wand eyeliner, Eye Wand eyeshadow, Creme Eyeliner

(Please note that for all three of these lines, I only swiped the product once. In other words, you can definitely go over each product for more intensity.)

Now, as you can see, the Eye Wand delivers a softer, more subtle look, while the Creme Eyeliner is a pretty intense black. I should also note that I used the accompanying eye liner brush when I swatched the Creme Eyeliner.

So how did these products pass the rub-test? Let's see:



For this picture, I took my index finger and rubbed the three lines for about ten seconds. As predicted, the Eye Wand products didn't do so well, which I attribute to their creamy consistency.

As for the Creme Eyeliner, I thought it was interesting that the line only smudged in two areas, where the brush deposited an extra amount of product onto my hand. This made me wonder what would happen if I used my favorite eyeliner brush (e.l.f.'s Studio Line small smudge brush, which is a taklon brush) instead of the brush that came with the Creme Eyeliner:


Left, original line drawn with the Wet n Wild brush. Right, line drawn with e.l.f. brush

Wow! Not only did I get a cleaner line, but as you can see it is less streaky and more consistent as well. I have to say, a good brush can make all the difference sometimes.

So how did the line drawn with elf's brush do on the rub-test?



Exellent!! I rubbed both lines for about ten seconds with my index finger and the line drawn with the elf brush didn't budge! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

So let's go back to the Eye Wand for a minute. After thinking about what I could do to improve the staying power, it occured to me: what if I layer the black on top of the silver? So that's exactly what I did:



Silver, by itself.



Silver with black layered on top and blended a bit with my finger.

Now as you can see, layering the black end of the pencil over the silver end of the pencil results in a deeper, more intense look (which I actually think looks stunning on the eye). But what I found by doing this is that the black pencil sort of locks in the color and improves the overall staying power of the eyeshadow tremendously. If you own an Eye Wand, give this a try and let me know what you think.

Final Analysis: The MegaEyes Creme Eyeliner is a fantastic alternative to the more pricey cream liners out there. It's got great staying power and it's a snap to apply because it glides effortlessly over the lid. If you have any issues with the brush that comes with the Creme Eyeliner, trying using a different brush and I think you'll be delighted with the results. As for the Perfect Pair Eye Wand, I think this is a fun little product that can give you a gorgeous smokey eye look, but you've got to play around with it a bit to find out what works for you. I've heard that some people get great results if they use a good eyeshadow base beforehand, while others like to top the eyeshadow stick with a powder shadow. Or you can use the technique I suggested above (my favorite) and see how that works for you.

Do you own the Creme Eyeliner or Perfect Pair Eye Wand? I'd love to hear about your experiences.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.

SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I've been dying to check out the gel liner, but it's been sold out everywhere!! My favorite gel liner is Loreal Hip (I like it better than MAC eep!) but this is even cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been interested in the gel liner but I've got so many other gel liners to use up before I get a new one! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gel liner is def. good! Great staying power. I still need to find a brush that will give me a good application though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa Kate! I hope your local stores restock this soon because I would love to know what you think of it. To tell you the truth, I might like this better than the HiP one. Granted, it's been a while since I've used the HiP, but I think it smudged on me, whereas this one doesn't budge. :)

    Hi Marie! I hear ya. It takes *forever* to use up a gel liner (has anyone ever done it?) but when you're in the market for a new one, definitely check this out one. :)

    Hey ndoodles! I would definitely try the e.l.f. Studio Small Smudge Brush. This has got to be my all-time favorite liner brush because it's so tiny and gives you a perfectly clean line every time. And the bristles are stiff, but not too stiff.

    http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio_brushes/small_smudge_brush

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! Love how thorough you were in testing these out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, that liner is terrific for a cheap price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the liner and I just got it! lol I was using the brush that came with it, but I'm now using my EcoTools Liner Brush. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the creme eyeliner! *hugs it* I use it with my Sonia Kashuk bent eyeliner brush. ^_^

    Ooh, you mentioned elf studio brushes. How many do you have? Are they not divine? I'm loving every single one of the 5 I bought. They are so soft and user friendly! They're one of my recent purchases that I'm most excited about because I think they're such wonderful quality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lipstick Rules! Thank you so much. I really, really appreciate that! xo

    Hi rayqueenbee! Thank you! I totally agree. For the price, it's fantastic. :)

    Hi Rai! Yay! I'm so glad you also own this and love it. Good idea about using the EcoTool brush. :)

    Hey femputer! Oooh, you own the elusive SK bent eyeliner brush? I have only seen pictures of this brush since my Target is perpetually out of stock. Lucky! <--I'm saying that like Napoleon Dynamite :)

    I actually only have the one elf Studio brush, but I am loving it so much that I cannot wait to get more. Totally agree--soft and user friendly. You're right on the money! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wet n Wild MegaEyes Creme Eyeliner is the bomb. Period. I got 2 of them when Walgreen had a BOGO deal and never regretted that I did. I used it for the play in our school. This baby withstands six hours of stage light and excessive sweating with only slight smudging at the inner corner of the eyes! I am in ecstatic. The staying power is supreme, it goes on true black, and so creamy. The only thing that stop me from daily use is that it's a pain to remove. It swatched it on my hand and it tattooed my skin for two days.
    Thanks so much for your reviews:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought the MegaEyes Creme Eyeliner because of all the raves on Makeupalley. I used my MAC 266 brush to apply, as I've heard warnings about the brush that comes with the liner. It smudged on me in less than 10 minutes. Not impressed. I do like the Prestige Total Intensity liners more, now they stay even with my allergy-afflicted watery eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the mega cream liner is my holy grail eyeliner... awesome and LOVE... wish they had more colors... a brown, navy blue, bronze.. OMG...They would be a total hit!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig