Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Japanese dollar store nail polish haul...

I'm 100% obsessed with my local Japanese dollar store (actually, I don't know why I call it a dollar store because everything there, unless otherwise marked, is actually $1.98). I imagine there are Japanese dollar stores in every large city, but the one in my town is called Marukai, which is a popular chain found in San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles. If you have the opportunity to visit a Japanese dollar store, whether it be Marukai or any other, I highly suggest visiting, and definitely check out the cosmetics aisle.

I can't even get into all of the wonderful Japanese beauty products you can find at Marukai (my location has the most amazing skincare products and tools, as well as a full display of L.A. Colors including eyeshadow SINGLES, which I never see anywhere else). But this recent trip I took a few weeks ago had me all giddy because Marukai now has some pretty amazing new nail polish lines (all polishes are $1.98).

Here are three that I purchased, all made by a company called "Winmax".

First is Winmax "Nail French" (sorry, none of these have names for the shades in English so I don' know the names):



How cute is the design of the glass on these bottles? And check out the design on the top of the brush handle:



Next I purchased Winmax "Pedicure" Nail Enamel (not sure why it's called "Pedicure" since I plan to wear this on my fingers. lol.)




A nail polish bottle shaped like a guitar? I am SO in!

And lastly I purchased Winmax "Delicia" Nail Enamel:



OK, you can't really tell in these pics but the lid on this polish is almost as gorgeous as the polish itself. It's such a pretty iridescent lavender shade--I love it. But let's talk about the beauty of the actual polish. It's a milky pastel lavender with very fine gold shimmer and silver micro-glitter. I've never seen anything else like it. Love love love it!

I swatched each color on my nails (sorry it's so sloppy but I did it as quickly as I could):



The "Delicia" polish is definitely my favorite but really, I love 'em all!

Have you ever tried Winmax polishes? Do you have a Japanese dollar store in your area that you love? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. That Delicia is GORGEOUS. I have a friend who would swoon over it. I need to find this Marukai place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So bummed that the closest one is still too far from me :( *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey MeredithElaine! Marukai is right next to the 163 on the corner of Balboa and Mercury (across the street from Mitsuwa). You've got to take a trip (and bring at least 10 bucks with you because I promise you won't walk out empty-handed!). :)

    Hey Amber! Boo! I'm sorry. But if you're ever in that area, make a mental note to check it out. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the dollar store in Japan and WOW you'd have a heart attack if you see what they have there >< I'm happy we have some here too!

    LOVE those colors you bought!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, now I need to find one of these in the DC area. Those bottles are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Siluet! OMG, I can only imagine what it's actually like to visit a dollar store IN Japan! I think my head would explode! lol. :)

    Hey Jeweled Thumb! Yes, you need to find one--and please post your findings on your blog for us! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in Norcal, the Japanese store is "Daiso". I love it, though everything is a little cheaper at $1.50 (unless marked). They have a lot of nail polish too! They even have fake eyelashes, I've been thinking of trying them, so we'll see...Does Marukai have them? Have you tried them? if so, how were they? =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the bottle shapes, great find!

    p.s. i tagged you for an award on my blog <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!

    This is the first time i post here, but i found your blog several days ago looking for info on Love's Baby Soft, and i'm loving your site!

    Most of the Japanese Brands have these cute bottles and packaging, almost every drugstore or massive brand has this beautiful looks and you can find great quality products for few bucks, not only in makeup, but also in hair and skincare (the big brands have their own cheap brands to get to every budget).

    I'll keep stopping by, thanks for the good info and take care.

    Hugs from Santiago de Chile.

    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Sheila! You know, it's so confusing but I *think* that Marukai is related to Daiso (either Daiso owns Marukai or Marukai owns Daiso?) so anyway, I bet we have a lot of the same products at our locations, but it's strange how your location sells everything for $1.50 instead of $1.98 like down here! Lucky for you! :) Anyway, I think we do have fake eyelashes but I've never tried them. I'll have to pick some up and report back! :)

    Hey Kellie! Wow, thank you! I'll check out your blog right away! xo

    Hello and welcome, Elana from Santiago de Chile!! :) I'm so glad you're enjoying my blog, and thanks for all the great info about the Japanese products. My store here in San Diego has a lot of the great skincare and haircare products you mentioned but I'm always so overwhelmed when I walk into that store, I don't know what to try first! If you have any suggestions for products or brands, I would love to hear them. Thanks so much for reading! :)

    Hey Kimberly! Yeah, I like that blue also. And the packaging is just too cute for words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even if those colors weren't so danged gorgeous I would buy it just for the pretty bottles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey princess_azure! I totally agree--the bottles really sold me on these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wish we have it here in brisbane (australia), but we don't.. so sad..


    follow me @
    http://blushfully.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Dana! Oh, I'm sorry you don't have these "down under" but I'm SURE that you have some pretty amazing beauty products that we can't get in the US. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I came across your blog because I picked up a kind of dark grey of Delicia and I wanted to read up on it. So far it looks awesome :)

    I'm from British Columbia and we've got the Daiso and I suppose it's the same as your Marukai. I love it there, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Nicole! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. :) I think I saw that gray Delicia polish and I regret not getting it. lol! And thank you for the heads-up about British Columbia! That is GREAT to know, as I have Canadian readers who often feel left out when I talk about the products I find here in the US. It's great to know that you have Daiso up there! Yay!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm from Singapore... we do have Daiso over here... All items are priced at $2. I saw then same nail polish as what u have bought.... I love the colours....

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig