Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Review: Sally Hansen Extra Strength Wax Hair Remover for Face - Brazilian Formula

It's a cold hard fact in this economy that we're all making large and small sacrifices. I know that personally, I've chosen to skip my usual salon waxing when my brows are looking shabby, in favor of busting out the ol' tweezers to make things look presentable. But no one can debate the look and feel of a freshly waxed brow. When all of those tiny, fine hairs are removed from the bottom side of your brow, it's heavenly. Your primer applies better, and most definitely your eyeshadow looks better. Everything's just so nice and clean.

Which brings me to the topic of at-home waxing. Ever done it? I have nightmares about it, actually. I've never had anything bad happen, but I've sure as heck spent plenty of money on at-home waxing kits that yielded less-than-stellar results. Have you ever pulled the strip off in slight pain, only to look at the strip and see NO hairs on it? That's happened to me more times than I can count. So mostly when I think of at-home waxing, I think of nothing but a big mess and no payoff.

But that was then and this is now, ladies (and gentlemen if you're reading this). Let me introduce the Sally Hansen Extra Strength Wax Hair Remover for Face.


Let me break this down for you and make it as simple as possible. How is this different from other at-home waxing kits?

1) There are no strips. The formula, which you heat in the microwave before applying, dries in a minute or two and actually becomes the strip that you pull off your skin. Genius, and it works (just be sure to make the side that you're planning to grab hold of a little bit thicker so that you have more to hold on to).

2) IT WORKS! This magical Brazilian formula is specially designed for thick, coarse facial hair (hello, eyebrows) so it really grabs those hairs and makes them easy to remove.

3) The wax is loaded with tons of good-for-your-skin ingredients like coconut oil, aloe leaf extract, orange flower extract, black walnut extract, chamomile extract and wild cherry bark extract. It smells divine.

4) The price! I picked up this kit for under $10 at CVS. Oh and someone at my local CVS tucked $2 off coupons in each box, so I actually ended up spending about $7 when all was said and done. Waxing in a salon can run you anywhere between $10 and $50 per appointment, versus $9 for multiple do-it-yourself waxings? That's my kind of bargain.

Here's what you get in the kit:




As you can see, you get detailed instructions, eyebrow guides in three shapes (I skipped these but I'm sure they work for some people), a pot of wax (this pot will last a long time if you're just using it on your brows), a spatula and the best part: Azulene Finishing Oil with Vitamin E, sesame and menthol. Seriously, this oil ROCKS and it is sooo soothing to apply it immediately after waxing. It calmed my skin immediately and took away the redness. Oh and it didn't break me out either. Good stuff.

I recommend giving this kit a shot if you've tried other at-home waxing kits that have left you frustrated and disappointed. Just remember to follow the instructions to a "T" and don't overheat the wax. Oh! I almost forgot! The spatula is super cool. It has the word "ready" printed on the side, but the only way you can see this word is when the wax is cool enough to use. So when you're stirring the hot wax and you DON'T see the word "ready" on the side of spatula, you know it's too hot to apply to your skin. Love that!

Have you tried at-home waxing? I'd love to know your thoughts.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Totally agree with other waxing kits. The just didn't work.

    Gawsh I hope I can find this in Aus. Thanks for the review!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried this-I have tried one from Sally's-GiGi Microwave Tweezeless Wax. Great tip for waxing:put a little powder (I just use cheap body powder)on the area to be waxed-keeps the wax from sticking to the skin but allows it to grip hairs. Much better results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, this is one beauty tradition I just cannot bring myself to try. I'll probably tweeze 'til the day I die. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emily! Oh I hope you can find this in Aus too! :) And I've just got to ask, since you're in Australia, have you ever tried Nads? I remember years ago when it first came out here, a guy friend of mine bought some to use on his back, and let's just say it was a mess and very painful for him. So that made me scared to try it, but I hear that it's still popular in some places. What do you think of it? :)


    Hey Michelle! That is an awesome tip--thank you! :) So how do you like the GiGi's wax? Do you find it easy to work with, and does it grab and remove coarse hairs? Thanks again! xo

    Hey femputer! I was like you for probably 20 years, so I know exactly what you mean! lol. :) I almost wish I could go back to my tweeze-only routine, but I am now addicted to the look of my brows after I wax them. Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you find this formula really hard to work with? I found it very messy and sticky, and heaven forbid you get it somewhere you don't want it! If this is the same Brazilian formula they use in their other Brazilian wax kits, I didn't like it at all :(

    I do find some of SH's wax kits to work pretty well, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jenn! No, actually, I didn't find it hard to work with. It was a little sticky but honestly, if it's not sticky it usually doesn't end up removing my coarse eyebrow hairs (for me at least). Every wax I've tried that wasn't a little sticky and thick like this one just didn't pull my hairs at all.

    Have you found an at-home waxing kit that isn't sticky but still works? Thanks! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig