Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My seven dollar shopping spree!

Look out, ladies. I'm out of control! I spent a whopping seven dollars on five makeup products yesterday! lol!

First let's start with the two Glitter Eyeliners I purchased at CVS from the Fantasy Makers (Wet n Wild) "Mysterious Maven" collection that I talked about yesterday. These were just too cool to pass up at just $1.99 each:





I mean, these colors really don't have to be used exclusively for Halloween, so why not buy two, right? I can see myself layering either one of these over my black liquid liner for an extra kick of sparkle at night. Heck, I normally can't even wear purple on my eyes (it generally looks horrible on me) but I just couldn't resist the color or price. I'll find a way to make it work for me, darnit!








Now I made the lines in the above swatch extremely thick on purpose (so you could really see the colors) but trust me--the brush is narrow enough so that you can make the finest line possible if that's the look you want to achieve.

Also, I want to add that I did the rub test on my hand and these liners would not budge. The staying power on my hand was incredible (both lines lasted all night after multiple washings). For a $1.99, these liners are just too pretty--and too fun--to pass up. I'm thinking about going back and getting the gold and silver shades today...

Lucky for me, I happen to live near a strip mall where CVS is next door to Dollar Tree. So after my eyeliner score, I walked over to Dollar Tree and spotted a ton of Maybelline stuff (if you've been reading my blog for a while then you know I'm really loving Maybelline right now).

I was floored by the selection of glosses, lipsticks, liners and nail polishes at my Dollar Tree and here's what I got:



From top to bottom:

Maybelline Moisture Extreme Lipstick in Limited Edition shade "Sandspice"
Maybelline Forever Metallics Metal Shine Lip Color in "Ginger Sheen"
Maybelline Cool Effect Eyeliner in "Polar Plum"



First let me say that I totally forgot how much I enjoy Moisture Extreme lipsticks! Color Sensational has sort of pushed all other lipsticks out of the way for me these past few months (oooh, it's such a bully!) and Moisture Extreme kind of got lost in the shuffle. So it was nice to be reminded of how much I enjoy these (um, they taste like fresh watermelon. Awesome!) and they truly are incredibly moisturizing. The color selection isn't as good as Color Sensational though, but if you look hard enough you can probably find one or two shades that'll work for you. I was lucky enough to find this very pretty sheer neutral spice shade which I am really loving for fall. I can't wait to pair it with a soft, earthtone eye look (I know, I know...when do I not wear earthtones?).

Moving on...Why didn't anyone ever tell me how awesome these Forever Metallics products are? Hello! How dare you all leave me out in the crowd! lol. I guess the word "Metallics" always made me think these products would be just waaaay too frosty for my liking, but boy do I love this lip pencil! "Ginger Sheen" is utterly gorgeous and the texture? It's like someone stuck the most amazing lipstick inside a pencil! This baby's smooth, moisturizing, it's got incredible staying power and that color? I just can't get over how pretty it is. Ladies, check your Dollar Trees because mine had this pencil in four different shades and each one was gorgeous. You need one of these if you can find it for $1. (If you have to pay full price I wouldn't say that "need" it, but for a buck? Yeah, you need it.)

Lastly, I picked up a Maybelline Cool Effect Eyeliner in "Polar Plum". I was chatting with the lovely Amber from BeautyJunkiesUnite the other day and whining about how I can't wear purples or plums on my eyes, and she convinced me to try a matte plum liner with gray eyeshadow (which sounds amazing, btw). So when I found this plum liner I was super excited. Let's take a look at some swatches:


From top to bottom:
Moisture Extreme Lipstick in "Sandspice"
Forever Metallics Metal Shine Lip Color in "Ginger Sheen"
Cool Effect Eyeliner in "Polar Plum"


What's that you say? You can't see the Cool Effect Eyeliner swatch? Well let me try it in a different light:



What's that you say? You still can't see the Cool Effects Eyeliner swatch? Alright, let me try a different angle:



Aaaah! THERE it is! See that tiny, almost imperceptible line there at the bottom of these pictures? THAT'S the Cool Effects Eyeliner. WTF? This is an eyeliner?? I beg to differ, Maybelline! This is a glossy, greasy lipliner void of any pigment, masquerading as an eyeliner! Oh what a mess.

Like I always say, "Sometimes there's a reason something ends up at the dollar store." Well ladies, I found my reason for this eyeliner. It just plain sucks. But hey, two out of three ain't bad, right?

Oh, and one more thing: Here's a reason you should pop into your local dollar stores every couple of weeks! Sometimes you can find some amazing steals (as if those two Maybelline lip products weren't enough!):



A few months back, Nivea Sun-Kissed Firming Moisturizer was all the rage on a few bath and body boards. Basically it's a firming lotion and gradual self-tanner and a lot of women raved about the scent (to me it's like a cross between marshmallows and suntan lotion) and also the fact that this product can give you a very subtle, very realistic glow. I remember when people were so upset that they couldn't find this in their area and they probably would have paid $10 plus shipping for it. But now? Yep. You can find it at Dollar Tree! AND, if you look closely at the above pic, you can even find some bottles that include a free Soleil Triple Blade Razor or a mini bottle of Nivea Happiness Body Wash! Those two products alone are worth a buck a piece, right?

So seriously, get out and check your local dollar stores--and please report back what goodies you find!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I love those eyeliners! Those are the two I purchased too - it's so hard to find a ever-green color like that one, so I was very excited when I stumbled across that display. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You drew me in with your title! Nice inexpensive haul! I wish we had a CVS or Dollar Tree here ):

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! I'm sorry your plum eyeliner adventure turned out to be a big ol' fat bust! Blah! I'm just glad you didn't fork out a ton and lose much moolah in the process!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I almost forgot! In a lot of the holiday preview items I've seen so far, purples that are almost dark amethyst are going to be a popular trend in glitter liners for holiday-- covet that purple girl! You can do it, especially over a regular black eyeliner! Maybe that could be an alternate solution?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why did you change your layout?!?! loved the color and that cool white flower in your header!

    I took about 400 pics of the WnW Halloween stuff I spotted in Walgreens a week ago. I'm going to make a slideshow for my blog soon. I haven't seen those eyeliners though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm stunned that you cannot wear plums and purples. They would flatter your eye colour SO much! Do keep trying!

    Nice haul. I check my Dollar Tree faithfully but we don't get in quite such nice MU. (Though there is a lot of older Maybelline product- one of the few brands that I see there.)

    I also checked my Marshalls the other day and was surprised to find a bunch of expensive Avon Antiaging cream. Never saw Avon there before! There wasn't much else of interest though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shakeupyourmakeup! Oh I'm so glad you like these liners too! I bet you did a review of 'em but I missed it! I'll have to check your blog because you know I love your reviews and your pic are always gorgeous! xo

    Hey Arezu! I'm sorry you don't have a CVS or Dollar Tree in your area, but I know there must be some type of dollar store near you, right? Check it out when you have a chance and let us know what you find! :)

    Hey Amber! Thanks sweetie, you're absolutely right. Thank goodness I only threw a dollar out the window on that one. :) And thanks for the heads-up about purples! I am so going to rock that eyeliner, even if it does make me look like I have jaundice! :)

    Hey Home Spa Goddess! I'm sorry that you miss the old layout. I loved it too, but unfortunately it had some glitches and bugs that kept coming back even after I fixed them. I just couldn't continue to use it anymore, so I had to make a switch. Hopefully we'll all learn to love this new one over time? lol! :) Looking forward to your slideshow...

    Hey beautifulmonday! I'm not going to give up on those plums and purples--thanks for the vote of confidence! Unfortunately, every time I wear one, someone asks if I'm sick or tired. It pulls the yellow in my skin and it also makes me look sallow and tired (and it makes my eyes look red!). Soooo weird and so sad! I would love nothing more than to be able to wear those gorgeous purple eyeshadows I see everywhere. :( But I'm going to try a matte plum liner with gray shadow as Amber suggested and hopefully that will be the ticket. I'll post an EOTD and see what people say. lol. Thanks for the report about Avon popping up at Marshalls--never seen that brand there before! But I did hear that Avon is coming out with a crazy new anti-aging skincare line soon, so I guess they need to dump all the old stuff, so I guess it makes sense. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey chica, i am also on the warm/yellow side of pale. i sometimes feel like certain purples do have that effect on me too. (especially pinkish purples or really pale ones). but with a matte shade, a greyish purple, or a deep purple, i bet it'll work. looking forward to the FOTD when you get there.

    ah, hadn't heard that. you're right- makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sparkly eyeliner looks AMAZING. Holy crap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I got 3 of those Forever Metallics lip pencil thingies at my Dollar Tree! (Whenever I see a known ds brand at Dollar Tree I buy 1 of everything, even if it might not be my color. :-P Hey, it's only a buck!) I'm actually pretty impressed with them. I wore a light pink today, can't remember the color name. They are really pigmented, and so soft and creamy. I'm glad you liked them too. :-)

    *happy sigh* I love dollar store shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey beautifulmonday! Oh I am so glad to hear that someone else feels my pain! I see all of these amazing looks using plums and purples and they always make me sad. lol. Hopefully we'll both find a way to use these colors successfully--and soon! xo

    Hey M.E.! You neeed it. lol. xo

    Hey femputer! Oh I am SO glad you're digging those Forever Metallics too! Yay! And I totally know what you mean--it's crazy to NOT stock up on name brand product at Dollar Tree. Thinking about how much we're saving...it's just too hard to resist. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. A valuable post.It helps a lot.

    Thanks,
    Criag - Officetronics Shopping

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig