Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, July 13, 2009

Review: Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer & Super Shiny Natural Lip Gloss

How can you be a true Drugstore Diva and not love Burt's Bees? Their products are natural, affordable, widely available and are packed with tons of good-for-you ingredients. I've yet to come across another beauty company that is as socially and environmentally responsible as Burt's Bees AND has so many products that actually deliver. I've loved Burt's Bees products for years so I jumped at the opportunity to test some lip products that I've had my eye on for a while now.

First up we have Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers (retail: $5), which come in 13 shades for every skin tone:


If you're already a fan of the iconic Burt's Bees Lip Balm, well this is going to be a no-brainer. You get the same moisturizing properties as the Lip Balm but with a touch of color and shimmer. I tested "Champagne" (first tube on the left) and "Caramel" (a brand new shade--not pictured) and I've got to say that I love them both. They have a minty fragrance and flavor and feel wonderfully tingly on your lips. And although each color looks bold in the tube, they apply very sheer (but not sheer to the point of am-I-wearing-anything-at-all?). Here's a pic of what they look like in the tube:

"Champagne" on left, "Caramel" on right

Here are my lips with no product:


After applying "Champagne":


As you can see, "Champagne" delivers a very subtle, almost colorless shimmer which is so nice for a light makeup day.

Here are my lips with "Caramel":


This gave me a very neutral, almost earthtone look with, again, that pretty shimmer. I find myself reaching for this whenever I wear bronze eyeshadow. It's a nice subtle, natural look without being too natural. Perfect for the office.

And finally, we have Burt's Bees Super Shiny Natural Lip Gloss (retail: $7), which comes in six shades:
I tested "Zesty Red" (second tube from the left) and I have to say--and this is coming from a person who you know prefers a good balm or tint over gloss--I love this stuff. My primary reason for loving it is that it truly does what it claims: It moisturizes like a lip balm. But of course you get the shiny look of a gloss, plus "Zesty Red" smells and tastes like yummy watermelon-berry punch (at least to me it does).

Also, do not be scared off by the dark color in the tube: "Zesty Red" is more of a sheer, warm brick red with subtle rose-colored shimmer. So unbelievable pretty up-close. Naturally I could not capture this with my Blackberry but here's a swatch of all three products:

Left to right: "Champagne", "Caramel", "Zesty Red"

And here's a pic of what "Zesty Red" looks like on my lips:


Final Analysis:
Once again, Burt's Bees products totally deliver. From the wholesome ingredients to the formulations and colors, I cannot find one thing to not like about these lip products. Well worth the money and, in the end, you'll be left with perfectly moisturized lips, no matter what product you choose.

Please stay tuned for another Burt's Bees review coming up very soon (hint: Skincare!).

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I LOVE the lip shimmers, and I love that peppermint tingle on your lips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burt's Bees are fabulous. I think you get it a lot cheaper over on your side of the 'pond' though...
    The Baby Bees stuff is quite expensive so I ended up using it on myself. He can have Johnson's - he's a boy and therefore doesn't appreciate the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried BB's products, surprisingly. :/ It looks like I'll have to pick some stuff up. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Phyrra! Glad you like the Lip Shimmers too. That tingle on the lips is so nice--especially in this summer heat. :)

    Hey Product Placement! Well I guess that makes us even, since there are SO many lovely UK products that cost an arm and a leg over on *this* side of the pond! lol. We don't even have those new body washes by Palmolive. Speaking of, have you tried those?

    Hey Arezu! Oh you definitely should give these lip products a try (and of course let me know what you think!). :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig