Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Who doesn't like a bit of controversy in the morning?

Well well well. There's nothing like waking up to a bit of controversy in the morning!

If you read the post below about how I finally solved my exfoliant issue, you will see that a helpful anonymous reader left a comment about how I should google acid mantle and skin, and that this will tell me why I shouldn't use baking soda as an exfoliator.

For the quick definition of "acid mantle" here's what's on Wikipedia:

The acid mantle is a very fine, slightly acidic film on the surface of the skin acting as a barrier to bacteria, viruses and other potential contaminants that might penetrate the skin.[1] The pH of the skin is between 4 and 5.5, so it is acidic.[2] These contaminants and other chemicals are primarily alkaline in nature and the skin's moderate acidity helps to neutralize their chemical effects.

Now, from my LIMITED research of the acid mantle and what may happen if you use baking soda as an exfoliator, I can tell you that there is some information out there that concerns me.

Baking soda is alkaline, meaning it has a pH level greater than 7 (water is pH 7, which is neutral). The pH level of baking soda is 8.2 so it can, possibly, cause harm to the delicate acid mantle on your skin. I cannot 100% claim this to be true, but it appears that many people online believe that baking soda might have the capacity to weaken the acid mantle and make it easier for harmful bacteria to penetrate your skin.

Now some of you may think, "Well baking soda is just one step above water, so it must not be that bad." Without getting into detail (and lord knows I'm no math major) the pH scale does not work like that. It is logarithmic, which means if something has a pH level of 8, it is 10 times more alkaline than pH 7, and if something is pH 9, it is 100 times more alkaline than pH 7, and so forth. So what you should know is that 8.2 is a pretty dramatic increase from 7.

Now, if you've used baking soda on your face in the past, don't freak out yet (like I was freaking out earlier this morning after doing this research) because it should be noted that there are SOME commercial soaps on the market that have a pH level somewhere between 9.5 and 11. But still, the thought of physically scrubbing your skin with a high alkaline product such as baking soda doesn't exactly make me feel comfortable.

Here's something even more puzzling: Paula Begon, who is widely respected as a skincare expert (although there are many people who strongly disagree with her opinions) seems to have quietly, and with little explanation, changed her long-time stance on using baking soda as an exfoliant. You can see a brief reference to this in the "Dear Paula" section on her website:

"...using baking soda (which I no longer recommend over using a plain washcloth or well-formulated AHA or BHA product)..."

The bottom line is this:

I'm not advising you to use any exfoliator on your skin. I'm only telling you what has worked FOR ME. But just like you, I like to do my research and I whole-heartedly appreciate that my anonymous poster took the time to leave this information on my blog for all of us to see. Any idea you see on the internet should be researched, no matter what it is, and skincare is definitely no different. For what it's worth, I"ve seen baking soda mentioned for YEARS as a good method of exfoliation, and I know that there are several of you who have used this method, and even your mothers have used this method, for a long time with no incident.

For me, personally? Well since I tend to be neurotic by nature, I think I will stop using baking soda and stick with good ol' table salt mixed with my cleanser. (For those of you who are curious, the pH level of salt water is 7, which is neutral.)

And as for that cute little container that I'm using to store my baking soda in the shower? I'll be keeping it there to use when I clean the tub!

Now tell me what YOU think. Do you use baking soda? Why? Why not?
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I've periodically used baking soda as an exfoliant/facial scrub (combined with Cetaphil). More often, though, I've used it in my bathwater, a heaping cupful in a fairly deep tub (no idea of its capacity in terms of gallons, but it's the kind that's about twice the depth of standard tubs). Maybe it's that I've always lived where the tap water is fairly hard, and the baking soda has tempered that. But there's no beating the combination of baking soda in the water and castile soap (Dr Bronner's eucalyptus or good ol' fashioned Kirk's) to make my skin feel clean and soft. Just my experience; others' mileage may vary.

    Costco often has the 18-lb boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda at a very good price... at the rate I use it the relatively small boxes from the grocery store don't last very long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! Thank you for adding to this dialogue by letting us know how you use baking soda and why it works for you. :)

    PS: I still very much want to try your suggestion to grind adzuki beans and mix them with your facial cleanser to exfoliate. The only problem is that I'm having a difficult time locating dry adzuki beans in my area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I gotta chime in here! Everyone's skin is different so one man's trash is another one's treasure. While yes, it's scary to think you're putting a Duracell battery on your skin when you hear the term "high alkaline", keep in mind-- the pH of many famous foaming facial cleansers have a pH of 8 or higher! You may not be aware that the pH of some soaps and shower gels are 7.5 and higher too, even the "gentle" ones! When was the last time we broke out our science labs and tested them before we bought them? Have you ever used a facial cleanser that was mild on you-- but made your friend red? Same idea here if you ask me. Baking soda has been a debatable choice for a physical exfoliant forever and a day, and it will still be causing debate long after we are gone.

    On the opposite end of the spectrum, when you use an at-home chemical peel like glycolic or lactic acid, you're taking your skin WAY under it's comfort zone to basically achieve the same result as you were trying to achieve with a physical exfoliant. Acids like glycolic & lactic acid are much lower than the skin's pH-- that ALSO can pose a risk for damage to the skin if used incorrectly! I don't know about you, but I'm not giving up my precious lactic acid peel I love so much just because it takes the acid mantle out of it's comfort zone for 2 minutes a week-- some chemical peels (although in higher potencies) performed by dermatologists INTENTIONALLY damage the skin so that when it heals, the new skin is revealed once the flaking/scabbing is gone. People do it every day!

    Now for the kicker-- what do you think many companies use as a "neutralizing" ingredient for bringing the skin back up to it's comfort level after exposing it to such an acidic product like a lactic or glycolic peel? BAKING SODA!

    While I do not claim to be a dermatologist, scientist or trained medical professional-- I have studied the effects of ingredients in skincare products extensively in my past occupation as a skincare product educator. This is NOT intended to take the place of medical advice and I am not telling you that baking soda, glycolic acid, or even water for that matter is safe for YOUR skin in particular. What I am saying is that this, like all product ingredients need to be investigated by you-- the consumer and it's up to you to make the decision on works best for you. Just like the topic of parabens being harmful in your skincare ingredients-- it concerns some people and they won't buy anything with preservatives as a result. Other people swear by parabens and could care less. So really-- who's wrong and who's right? Everyone! It's all subjective.

    Do I recommend that everyone use baking soda every day on their face? Nope. But I also don't recommend anyone freaking out and starting a panic over it. I have a friend that is actually ALLERGIC to the city water in her home in Florida and had to install a special pricey water filtration system just so her skin wouldn't become red and flaky after she showered. How's that for "it's up to the individual"?

    I know there will be several people who don't agree with me here and I respect your opinions and feelings on the matter. I'm merely trying to state a few facts to show my stance on the subject and hopefully give another person a little info that will help them in deciding what exactly is best for them-- baking soda or not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Amber, thank you so much!! I really appreciate you taking the time to leave such a thoughtful, informative and helpful comment. I'm glad that you share my views about doing your own research and doing what feels right for YOU. I can only tell readers what worked for ME, but it's always important to note that your mileage may vary! You raise some interesting points about pH levels, and how pH levels that are too low (acidic) can do just as much harm to the skin as those that are too high (alkaline). I've gotta be honest--it's enough to make your head spin! So for me, the baking soda scrub obviously wasn't essential to my skin before, so I doubt my skin will miss it after just using it for a few weeks. I did love how it made my skin feel, but it's just a personal choice for me to stop using it and use salt instead. I'm sure that in enough time, someone will post about "The dangers of salt as an exfoliant" and make me reconsider using that as well. lol.

    It's all about reading and learning and paying attention to claims and--most importantly--having open dialogue like this--that helps us all be better informed about our skincare decisions.

    I hope that at least one person reading this finds this information helpful when all is said and done. I know it has already helped ME! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig