Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, March 3, 2014

Reader Swatches: NEW Black Radiance Urban Identity Eyeshadow Trios

You might recall at the end of January when I shared with you some pics of the new Black Radiance (from the makers of Wet n Wild) eyeshadows. These are new, permanent additions to the Black Radiance line for 2014. To refresh your memory, here's what the new trios look like--there are more photos in my original post here):

image credit: @Raginrah for Nouveau Cheap
NEW Black Radiance Urban Identity Shadow Trios
(retail: around $2.99 each)

Reader Dragonfly, who shared pics of the trios back in January, just shared some beautiful swatches of the trios she purchased--take a look!

image credit: Dragonfly for Nouveau Cheap

Dragonfly writes:

The trios I bought are Correct (green), Cute (pink), and Ambition (purple). Swatched over Too Faced Shadow Insurance, in natural light with no flash; I tried to show the color of each shade and not to accurately reflect how pigmented they are. (I wasn't impressed with the pigmentation of the purple trio, but the other two aren't bad. Watch out for glitter fallout with the pale pink, though.) Also, while I think the photos are mostly pretty color-accurate, there is one exception: the blue shade in the purple trio is really a blurple and it's much less, um, LOUD in real life.

If I were at home and had all my WNW trios handy and not just a select few, I'd compare some of these shades with the Tough Girl LE collection from last fall, but based on memory and your swatches [click here for my swatches of the Wet n Wild Tough Girl Trios--G.], I'd say that the mauve shades in Cute and Spoiled Army Brat are pretty similar (I would definitely compare them if I could), and the olive drab shades in Correct and Soldiers in Charms may actually be dupes, but the other two shades in each pair are not that much alike. I don't feel like there's any super close comparisons to be made between Ambition and Zero Dark Flirty...

image credit: Dragonfly for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Dragonfly for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Dragonfly for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Dragonfly for Nouveau Cheap

As I was working on this post yesterday, reader Unknown left this comment on my original post about these new eyeshadows:
I found these at Wags. Picked up one trio and one five pan.. they are quite nice. Very soft, silky, and smooth with decent pigmentation. The only color I thought was a bit lacking was the bright matte orange in the brown trio, it had to be build up quite a bit for full color, but it was nice and smooth with a creamy consistency. They are a LOT better than the new five pan palettes from WnW, which I found very dry. I do think the old formula (especially the duos) had better pigmentation and a much nicer color range.

Color me intrigued. I am excited to find these trios in my area--have you spotted them yet? What do you think?

Thanks again, Dragonfly, for the awesome swatches and feedback! And thanks to Unknown for the helpful feedback as well. I really appreciate it!
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Wow, those look great! I haven't seen them yet, but I've been looking out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for my Meijers to get these in (only place around here that sells this line). But I love that middle color in the pink palette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos perfectly demonstrate what I have previously said about "flat brights" and "color range". Are they pretty? Sure. Are they wearable? Only if you are very brave or work in a night club. Can you pick up a trio, put it on, and have a complete eye look? See above examples.. for most of us, nope. The old green duo in Island/Oasis for comparison is a gorgeous light toned "old gold" with the slightest hint of green and a very pretty slightly browned mossy green with a gold shimmer, both with a lot of dimension (contrast between the darker base and a lighter shimmer within the same shadow). http://project-swatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Black-Radiance-Eye-Shadow-Swatches-Island-Oasis.jpg I have no affiliation with the swatch.. I just wanted to show you the colors. This is the pink duo in Dawn/Dusk http://project-swatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Black-Radiance-Dawn-Dust-Eye-Shadow-Swatches1.jpg The old quads are more of the same. I think these new ones would have been a nice addition to the line.. but they are a poor replacement at the expense of such pretty, sophisticated, and wearable shadows. I don't understand the logic.. but maybe it's just sour grapes on my part because this is the third of my favorite drugstore formulas to take a huge fall in the name of "reformulation" in the past year (BR, WnW, and Maybelline expertwear).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! The duos work great as a quick & easy eye look. My favorite of these is the greens but I already have similar shades so it doesn't seem worth it.

      Delete
  4. If I got the pink palette I think I'd be inclined to swirl a blush brush in all three shades and try it as blush. They look like they'd blend well together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope I can find these and I will wear them any time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ambition looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig