Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Reader Spotlight: Kimberly


If you're new to the Reader Spotlight interview series, I created this series as a way to show my thanks to longtime/loyal readers. I think it also allows us all to get to know each other a bit better, which I love (I hope you do too!).

For this installment, I'd like to share with you my interview with Kimberly. Kimberly has been reading and actively contributing to this blog for over two years now, and many of you might also know her from her own blog, Libby's Pink Vanity, where she reviews nail polish other beauty-related goodies. If you know Kimberly, I'm sure you adore Kimberly. It's that simple. She's a tell-it-like-it-is kinda gal, and I love that about her. We instantly got along from the moment we "met" and if you haven't "met" her yet, here's your chance:

Q: How long have you been reading Nouveau Cheap?

I found Nouveau Cheap right before I started blogging myself, which was May 2010.

Q:  Do you remember how you initially found this blog?

When I started reading blogs, I would look to see who was on their blogroll. And I would think, 'if I like this blog and they like hers, I bet I will like it as well'.

Q: Have you ever purchased a drugstore product because of a review on this blog? If so, how did it work for you?

I'm in debt because of Nouveau Cheap!!! When I see a new release of Wet 'n Wild, Sinful Colors or Milani, I begin my quest right away. I have always liked these brands however, I have expanded my choices due to G's reviews.

Q: Name your top five drugstore beauty brands.

Wet 'n Wild; Sinful Colors; Milani; Revlon; Maybelline

Q: What are some of your Holy Grail drugstore beauty products?

Milani's Total Lash Cover Mascara. If I was to give up all of my mascara but one, this is the one I'd keep. And, Garnier Moisture Rescue Fresh Cleansing Foam. When I'm not testing any other makeup remover, this is my tried-and-true. It cleans my face completely and still moisturizes my skin which tends to be dry right after washing.

Q: What's your go-to lip color shade?

NYC's Retro Red. I love me some blood red lips. My maternal Grandma would only wear red lipstick as makeup. I learned to love it through her. I even put a sample of red lipstick in a capsule that we buried with my Grandma's ashes, in tribute to our love for red lipstick.

Q: Approximately how many bottles of nail polish do you own?

I have never counted because then I'd have a good idea how much I spend on just polish alone. So, taking a stab at it, I'd say 400. But I under-estimate calories too so I could be off. If anything should ever happen to me, I have secured both Steph from Imperfectly Painted and Kari from Once Bitten Blog to get those polishes out of my house pronto!

Q: What was your most recent drugstore beauty purchase?

Maybelline's Great Lash mascara in a purple shade. I'm not loving it at all. It doesn't thicken my lashes so the purple doesn't really show up. I feel I wasted my money on this one.

Q: What are some drugstore beauty products that haven't worked for you (and why)?

Answer #8 is one. Idol Eyes by Wet 'n Wild. That was crease city. Loreal Facial Wipes. They were stinky and irritated my skin. And, I don't have misbehaving skin.

Q: If you could create a limited edition drugstore beauty collection, what would it contain?

I would do something along the lines of what Wet 'n Wild did a couple of Christmas ago with the collection that had Night Elf in it. I would have an 8 pan shadow palette. One column would be matte colors, the other very sparkly coordinating colors. Not only would it have a red shadow pair but would have a grey/black pair, a greenish taupe combo and an icy blue/midnight blue coordinating pair. Then, it would have two lipsticks, a neutral red and a shimmering deep mauve, along with two coordinating glosses to match each. There would be a product that would allow me to make the shadows into eyeliners. Like a felt tip pen that would pick up the color and make a dramatic eyeliner. A dual end mascara with pitch black on one end and on the other end, a mascara that has some sort of HD that makes the black look super shiny black (And, did I mention that I could use this HD shiny highlight in my hair, as well?). And, it would be complete with polishes that match each of the shadows: a red, a taupe with a serious green shimmer, a midnight blue and the last one would be a top coat that would be something like Sally Hansen's Hidden Treasure but it would flash red, green and gold.  This came to me in a dream, so I think it should be called Sugar Plum Dreams. Yes, I have thought of this one in great detail since that dream.

 Q. Would you like to share a picture with us (of you, your makeup stash, a pet, etc.)?

My photo is of my five favorite beauty items: Milani's Total Lash Cover Mascara; Milani's Color Play Felt-Tip Pen in black; Milani's Paint Eyeshadow Palette; 2 The Color Workshop blush palettes (I got them at a garage sale but I know they came from a drugstore. I asked and got them both for just 50 cents. Nouveau Cheap should be proud of me!); and Garnier's Moisture Rescue Fresh Cleansing Foam.


Thanks so much, Kimberly, for giving us a chance to get to know you a little bit better! I had never heard that beautiful story about your grandmother before, and it truly moved me to tears (I'll get you back for that later...just kidding of course). PS: And I am proud of your negotiating skills for getting those palettes!
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I could tell she loves Milani! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading these posts! And, I already love Kimberly's blog :) I lost my grandmother recently and I have the same memory of her and her lipstick, but her shade was coral. Coral always makes me think of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, reading about your sugar plum Dreams collection put a big smile on my face!! That sounds ^awesome!!!
    That was such a nice little interview and I really enjoyed learning a little more about Kimberly !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! I will be the first in line to buy EVERYTHING in her collection! It sounds amazing! I am going to check out her blog right now!
    P.s. It is nice to meet you Kimberly! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig