Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Review: Maybelline Color Sensational High Shine Lipstick in Pink Freeze

Given my love of the original Maybelline Color Sensational lipstick collection, it was only a matter of time before I tried one of the new High Shine lipsticks (click here for pics of the display if you missed it). When Rite Aid had Maybelline on sale for 40% off, it was a great time for me to use one of my $1 tear-pad coupons (from the Bright Side limited edition display). I think I ended up paying just $3 for this tube.

 Maybelline Color Sensational High Shine Lipstick in Pink Freeze
(retail: around $7)

As you can see, the packaging has some fun holographic details, even down to the label itself, which I photographed from two different angles:


Pink Freeze was a bit of a departure for me. I normally don't go for light pinks (as many of you know, I'm more of a pinky-brown and berry kind of gal), but something drew me to this shade and I had to try it.


According to the Maybelline website, this new formula contains "mirror-like color from micro-mirror pigments". So the "high shine" in this lipstick is not from the finish, but rather it's inside the formula itself. Don't get me wrong, it's got a glossy finish, but what REALLY makes it shine is the "micro-mirror pigments" in the formula. In person, I find that when the light catches my lips, this lipstick truly shines, but NOT in a glittery sort of way. The particles are very fine and you cannot see individual particles on the lips. All you really see is "shine", and lots of it. I think it's pretty unique in that aspect, as I can't think of another drugstore lipstick that has a formula quite like this.

I find the texture of this lipstick to be creamy, yet also sheer (the sheerness may be in part to the shade I purchased--other shades may be more opaque). It's not gritty at all, and those of you would don't care for the fragrance or flavor of the original Color Sensational lipsticks might be pleased to know that the flavor and fragrance of the High Shine lipsticks is different. To my nose, the fragrance of this lipstick has a light, fruity note to it (I think I detect peach and watermelon) and the flavor is light and fruity as well.

This lipstick feels creamy, yet light and moisturizing on my lips, and I find the staying power to be pretty close to the staying power of the original Color Sensational lipsticks (I can get about 2-3 hours of wear before I need to reapply). The only thing I'm actually disappointed in is the shade I chose--it's just too light for me, and I'm considering exchanging it for a deeper shade.

FINAL VERDICT: Maybelline isn't lying when they say that this lipstick is "high shine". But the shine isn't in the finish, it's in the "micro-mirror particles". These particles are very fine (no chunky glitter or sparkle here) and create a shine that is definitely visible to the naked eye. Pink Freeze is a pretty, light, sheer pink that's high on shine, and I enjoy the creaminess of the formula quite a bit. The fruity fragrance and flavor make it even more enjoyable for me to wear, and I'd certainly consider trying other shades in the future. If you're already a fan of Maybelline Color Sensational lipsticks and you like your lip color on the shiny side, I think you might enjoy the new High Shines as well.

Have you tried any of the new Maybelline Color Sensational High Shine lipsticks yet? What do you think of them?
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Looks nice! I will have to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The formula is very similar to my Dior Addict lip color. I had this shade and the coral shade and I ended up returning the pink as it was also too light for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wear the shade "Fruit Punch" quite often. It has more pigment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wearing this lipstick right now. I also have it in Glisten Up Pink which looks like a magenta pink on me. A stranger even complimented me on the color which has never happened to me before. I'm really digging these High Shines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these lipsticks. Pink Freeze looks so different on me! You should probably get Plum Shine, instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the "Fruit Punch" shade and it's fabulous! At first I thought it was going to be more of a coral shade, but it's not as orange-ish as coral tends to be. It really does look like fruit punch and now with a bit of a tan it looks great! I am a big fan of the Color Sensational lipsticks already so I was super excited to try this and I am not disappointed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That color is GORGEOUS!!! I may just have to pick it up. Thanks for posting =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh I wants this so bad (but in a different color...a sheer yet pigmented berry would be gorgeous)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, thats very interesting information. I need to share with my friends.Argan Oil

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have Fruit Punch! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really think this is a pretty shade, but cant really tell how it looks on you :/ but since you often choose bolder colors, maybe something lighter may be just the thing...anyway, I purchased several sheer shades this summer, so unless there are other colors that are more opaque I guess I will pass. But hey G. if you decide to return it for a different color, let us know on the sheer/opaque factor!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really wanted to try a lipstick from this new line but I don't like any of the colors, hmm

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the shine finish that this lipstick provides. Also, I think the color looks nice on you :) Finally, the name is cute. MAC makes a pink eye shadow with that name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have Disco Pink and I love it! In certain light, it looks silvery pink, in others, golden pink; its wonderful! Glad to see a review on these :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This shade looks absolutely gorgeous on you! I bought it & it looks terrrrrrible on me!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig