Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Putting VERY inexpensive shadows to the test: Aziza palettes

I'm not sure how many of you will remember this, but back in the day (in the 70s and 80s when Aziza was owned by Prince Matchabelli) Aziza was a very well-respected makeup brand that always had new and innovative products to offer consumers. I remember really loving some Aziza eyeshadows when I was young.

Aziza commercial from 1980
(Yep, that's Rene Russo!)

Fast forward to today, and Aziza is a brand that you basically can only find at the dollar store or random beauty supply stores. In my case, the only place I see Aziza these days is at my local 99 Cent Only store, where they always seem to have a huge variety of Aziza products including eyeshadow palettes, lip color, nail color, foundation, etc., all for--you guessed it--99 cents each.

Never one to turn my nose at a good bargain, I thought it was finally time I put one of these Aziza palettes to the test! What stopped me from trying these before? Well, I guess they just didn't really appeal to me from a visual standpoint. But I noticed that, recently, Aziza changed the look of these palettes slightly by adding different embossed patterns to the shadows, and coming out with "Limited Edition" palettes, which drew me in and made me take notice.

Also, after researching Aziza a bit on the interwebs, I discovered something interesting:

Did you know that the same company that owns Aziza also owns Jimmy Choo, Lanvin, Van Cleef and Arpels, Betsey Johnson, bebe, GAP and Nine West? Yep, it's true!

So I snatched up one LE palette and one core collection palette and decided to put them to the test:

Aziza Eyeshadow Palettes
(retail: $3.95 according to the package, $0.99 at 99 Cent Only stores)


As you can see, much like other very inexpensive eyeshadows, the first ingredient in these shadows is talc (aka talcum powder, which is the main ingredient in baby powder). BUT, they don't have as strong a baby powder scent to them as other cheapie brands such as Princessa, which smells pretty strongly of baby powder to me (click here for my Princessa palette review). I also find it interesting that the embossed pattern on the Rodeo Drive palette is the same as the Princessa palette that I own.

What drew me to the Denver palette was that pretty taupe shade (4th from the left in the pic above). So let's take a peek at some swatches:


Well, as you can see, swatched dry with no primer, these aren't too exciting. In fact, the lighter shades in both palettes are about as sheer as you can get. All of the colors are matte-bordering-on-satin in texture, with a fine, iridescent sparkle running through each of them.

So now let me show you what happened when I put the taupe shade in the Denver palette to the test:


For this eye look I used:

Revlon PhotoReady Compact Makeup in Vanilla (review to come)
Prestige Multi-Finish Wet/Dry Powder Foundation in Wheat as setting powder
Maybelline Define-A-Brow pencil in Dark Blonde
NYX Jumbo Pencil in Cottage Cheese as eye primer (review to come)
Taupe shade in the Aziza Denver palette from lash line to crease and blended upward
Buttery yellow shade in Aziza Denver palette on brow bone
Black w/ green sparkle liner in the Physicians Formula Gel Cream Eyeliner Trio for Green Eyes on upper and lower lash line
CoverGirl Lash Blast Fusion mascara in Very Black

I think that using the NYX Jumbo Pencil as a base really gave these shadows something to cling to, and it definitely intensified the colors. I also tried wearing some of these Aziza shades on top of my Jesse's Girl Eye Primer and that REALLY intensified the colors.

Without primer, I'd give these shadows maybe an hour or two before you start to see fading and/or creasing. With primer? They actually lasted most of the day before I started to notice fading, and I didn't experience any creasing at all with primer.

All in all, I think these are worth the price (not the price on the package, but what I paid for them: $0.99). I wouldn't pay more than a buck for them, but I also don't think they're run-out-of-the-house-screaming-why me-terrible. With a little help (ie: primer) they're nice, subtle shades that can work for an everyday look. I wouldn't drive all over town for them, but I'm a bit more pleased than I expected. So, take that for what it's worth!

Do you own any Aziza products? Do you have any favorites? In my research on this brand, I noticed some positive reviews for their blushes. So maybe I'll try one of those later down the road.
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. O-M-G!!! I think Aziza and Maybelline were my first shadows!!! What a walk down memory lane. Gotta snag up these just for shimmies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, I had no idea they did perfumes for all of these companies... They do nice perfumes. My former roommate's HG was GAP Heaven, I think, and I generally like Burberry's selection.

    They don't seem to be behind any prestige cosmetics lines, though... It would've been interesting to compare and contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some Aziza palettes in my collection and my Aziza mascara is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of these palettes from one of my own 0.99$ store peruses, and I agree with everything you said. with that in mind, these sit at the very back of my eyeshadow drawer, and i totally forgot i had them until this post! and i probably wont be pulling them out, either, especially when i JUST FOUND THE WNW LE HOLIDAY PALETTES!!! woot woot! hahahaha =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all for giving cheap stuff a try, and I love my LA Colors 5-pan palettes, but all of the Aziza I've ever tried has been horrible, horrible stuff that's gone right in the garbage :-\

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparantly the blushes are pretty good, I've also heard good things about the mascara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried their cream eye shadows back then when I was starting with makeup and they sucked. They were so sticky like glue. But this palette looks really nice and the swatches are not bad at all.

    oh and the video is freakin' awesome. I love watching old commercials!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use to use Aziza way back when I was just starting to playing with makeup. I remember liking their blushes, but not their shadows much. The swatches don't look so bad and nice EOTD (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I owned an eyeshadow palette, but it made my skin hurt. I think I'm allergic to something in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did they go from a respected brand to the dollar store? That's unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww yeah I kind of have to agree or at least empathize with Cjx3pooh. Aziza used to be THE brand of the 80's and was probably my first makeup purchased when I was a 'tween. These palettes looked pretty, the packaging is nicer than a lot of stuff I've seen outside the 99 cent store! Apparently they aren't as bad as I sadly expected for the price and how far they've fallen from grace. I don't remember seeing blushes though, which is my soft spot so I'll have to check Dollar Tree next time and try the LA Colors palettes if they're decent (almost grabbed at least one last time, but hesitated and got three Maybelline holiday LE highlighters from last year instead).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought Aziza went out of business. I believe my first eyeshadow was Aziza back in the 70's, three shades of green in a palette. It was a go-to brand back in the day. It must have been mismanaged into the ground. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The best color I ever used was an Azizza shadow back in the 80's I so loved it! I still have the palette! I dont generally use eye shadow, but perhaps if I see these at my Dollar Tree, perhaps I will pick one up for the heck of it! You never know when the inspiration for eye shadow will hit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have very sensitive skin and am reluctant to try makeup made in China.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Gianna, for reviewing a real cheapo product! Because of your fab review, I got the Denver palette and love it. It's wearable, workable, fun and has lots of options for every day looks. I too love the taupe shade and today I used the brown next to it as a wash without primer and it's just what I was looking for for an every day out running around look. The buttery yellow is sweet and not chalky at all. Lasted great with primer and without primer no creasing. I picked up the blush in Natural and am amazed. I need to find out for sure, but I think the left square of light pink is a dupe for BeneFit Dandelion. Best of all, no sparkles and glitters in either e/s or blush!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. I have some Aziza makeup in my paint box. From high school. In the 80s. That I still use. Nice to know they're still around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Guilty confession: as a (broke) student, I use Aziza powder foundation =) . I will say, though- really sacrificing my pride =)- it's not bad! I'll even go as far as to say I like it. Thanks, G, for reviewing the shadows- they'd been catching my eye, and I appreciate the review a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Im trying to remember an Aziza eye shadow that was brown with purple or blue glimmer running through it, and when you turned your head, the color would sort of change from brown to this purple blueish shimmer. Its killing me that I cant remember the name of it....Cocoa with...something???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hillary, it was Coco blue. I wish I could still get it!

      Delete
  19. All I use now is the Aziza eyeshadows! I have all the palettes and I mix and match them. Agreed eye primer is the key to lasting color. I receive compliments all the time and people are shocked when I tell them it's my dollar store product! ��

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig