Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Review: e.l.f. Studio Single Eyeshadow in "Pebble"

Lately I've been wanting to review e.l.f. products that most of you can easily find at your local Target stores so, for this review, I purchased an e.l.f. Studio Single Eyeshadow in Pebble at my local Target (click here if you missed my Luscious Liquid Lipstick review, which is also available at Target).

You can purchase this eyeshadow at most Target locations for $3 (yes, I know that some of you still don't have the e.l.f. display up at your Target but you should be getting it eventually!).

As you can see from the following pics, this eyeshadow bears a striking resemblance to the NARS eyeshadow singles. The size, shape and style of the compact is quite similar. The only exceptions I see are the see-through window on the front of the e.l.f. compact, and also the finish of the compact of the e.l.f. shadow is smooth plastic, whereas NARS shadows have a rubbery texture (which I dislike, btw. Once those compacts get dirty, you'll never get them 100% clean again). So I actually prefer the design of the e.l.f. compact because you can see the product without having to open it or turn it over and read the label, and they're also a snap to keep clean.


The first time I used this eyeshadow, I came across some problems. I always test new eyeshadows without any primer beforehand because I want to let you know how the eyeshadow itself performs without any additional help. But when I applied this shadow without primer, I found it to be inconsistent (the color sort of skipped across my lids) and it didn't blend as well as some other e.l.f. shadows I own. Also, I was hoping that Pebble might be a nice dupe of NARS Ashes to Ashes, but Ashes to Ashes (which I tore my entire house apart to find so that I could compare the two in this post and still didn't find) is smoother to apply and is a true shimmer. Pebble is not a shimmer. I'd say it's on the border between a satin finish and a matte.

I didn't want to give up on Pebble, so the next time I used it I applied my e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer beforehand, and this made a WORLD of difference. The shadow applied more evenly, it was easier to blend, and it made the pigmentation more vibrant as well. I should note right here that, for me, Pebble is not super-pigmented to begin with. So when I say that the primer made it more vibrant, it's still not as vibrant as some other e.l.f. shadows. It's definitely a softer, more subtle color, and I think it's actually an ideal shade for the office. It's not an attention-grabber, but I think it makes for a very classy, polished and modern look.

The first three pics in the above collage were taken just moments after I applied this shadow (with my primer underneath). The last picture was taken 12 hours after application, after a long day in the heat. As you can see, my eyebrow pencil, foundation and powder are DUST, but this shadow is still hanging in there! The area above my crease (the part that was blended out the most) has pretty much disappeared, but my lid is still going strong. No too bad after 12 hours, right?

All in all, I would say that if you're looking for a sophisticated, safe-for-work look, Pebble can be your best friend. Worn as an all-over wash (like I did in these pics) I think it's lovely. It's one of those dependable taupes that you don't really even have to think about. You can apply this shade, pair it with a brown or gray liner, slap on a nice nude, pink or berry shade of lip color and be out the door in a few minutes.


Have you purchased any e.l.f. Studio products from your local Target? Got any favorites you'd like to share with us? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. I haven't used my elf eyeshadows in a while, I should pull them out.

    Elf isn't even at my Target this time around! Boooo! It was there at first, but didn't come back March 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd love to read your review of the studio blush and nail polish if you've tried them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny but I don't go to Target to scout out beauty products. And it's just up the block from Sally's, Walmart, Starbucks. ;)
    If I see some ELF, I'll give one a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow the staying power is amazing! it didnt budge after 12 hrs.. i like the color you got coz its very pretty for everyday use..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you reviewed this color! I just love it. It's actually the only Studio single eyeshadow I own from ELF, but it's the only color I've been drawn to. It's so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see it all the time at Target! I will definitely check it out!! Pebble looks like a nice taupey color. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is eerie. Just yesterday, I made a special trip to Target to buy this very same eye shadow, after reading a random review of it on Make Up Alley!

    I actually put it on in my car, using my finger, as an all over wash. And I loved it!! It's smooth, and the color has some dimension to it. Plus, it stayed on all day, no primer used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ELF sadly isn't in my Target yet, but it's at the Target in the next town over.

    I was so excited when I found out ELF Studio was finally coming out with eye shadows!! But I don't know how I feel about them... this one looks good on you, but on me, it barely shows up :(

    I haven't tried it with a base yet though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do own this shade and I feel exactly the same as you do on EVERYTHING you said, I have used several primers and only UDPP keeps it from creasing :( I soooo need to try ELF's mineral primer! Thanks for the awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! And that sure is some impressive longevity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not used any of the Elf Studio eyeshadows, but I really like the studio blushes. I have all of them and feel like they are great dupes for higher end brands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did a review on this product too:
    http://fullybeautiful.blogspot.com/2010/05/new-favorite-product-elf-studio-single.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oddly enough the lack of pigmentation is the reason I love this eye shadow. I use this for the daytime when I don't feel like wearing much eye makeup but still want a little something. I also love Coffee Bean and Mystic Moss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to try some of the E.L.F. eyeshadow but honestly none of the shades attracted me. I just ended up getting the $1 eyeshadow brush and the blush in Candid Coral :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't bought any e.l.f. from Target but I have found a Kmart near me that sells them. Unfortunately the products aren't in very good condition, it seems the majority of the liquid or cream products are all dried up. I got a few of my HG Waterproof Eyeliner pens and they were in pretty good condition. Maybe I will have better luck if I venture a little further to pick up some e.l.f. from Target.

    EIther way I love e.l.f. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. pretty color & it looks great on you! Bummer that it isn't super pigmented, though
    :D

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig