Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, July 10, 2010

Review: EOS Shave Cream (Free at Walgreens this week)


UPDATE: Sorry about this, everyone! Today updated this post from 2010 (I didn't change my review, I just made the photos larger) and when I clicked "update" it reset the post to publish TODAY (with today's date). So sorry for the false alarm: this post is from 2010 and this is NOT on sale this week at Walgreens! I'm sending it back to 2010 now...again, sorry for the false alarm!

If you're a regular Walgreens shopper, you probably already know that EOS Shave Cream is on sale this week for $2.99 with $2.99 Register Rewards (which makes it free after sales tax). If you're not a regular Walgreens shopper but you're interested in this deal, let me explain. Walgreens Register Rewards are very much like CVS Extra Bucks. When you make a qualifying purchase, you will get a receipt at the end of your transaction that shows you've got Register Rewards, which can be used toward your next purchase. So for example, I purchased a bottle of EOS Shave Cream yesterday morning, paid $2.99 and got $2.99 in Register Rewards. I went back to Walgreens again this morning to buy some other items, handed the cashier my Register Rewards receipt, and got $2.99 deducted from my total. Super easy!

I figured since so many of us love EOS Lip Balms, you might be curious about their shave cream, especially when you can get it for free this week. So in the name of free stuff, I took two showers yesterday and one this morning to speed up my testing process and give this product three tries before I wrote my review (and if you're thinking, "Wow, how quickly does her hair grow??" I shaved one leg yesterday morning, the other leg last night, and both legs again this morning!).

EOS Utra Moisturizing Shave Cream in Pomegranate Raspberry (retail: $2.99 this week at Walgreens, 7 oz)

Note: EOS Shave Cream is also available in many other fragrances (click here for the full list) but my Walgreens only carries Pomegranate Raspberry, Vanilla Bliss and Lavender Jasmine.



I love that this product contains some nourishing ingredients and no parabens. Click this image to enlarge and read the full ingredients list:


Here's a shot of the pump:


And here's what the actual product looks like:


It's hard to tell in this pic, but there's a very soft pink tint to this shave cream, to go with the bright, almost neon-pink bottle. And ooooh, let's talk about the fragrance. It is YUMMY! To me, it's a great balance of both pomegranate and raspberry. Sweet and tart. I love it.

But it is with much sadness that I tell you that this is where my love affair with EOS Shave Cream ends. While I really, REALLY hope that this product works for some of you (a lot of you, actually!) I just cannot in all honesty say that it worked for me. Let me tell you why.

First of all, "two or three pumps" of product wasn't enough to cover one of my legs (even from just the knee down). Unless I was to apply this outside of the shower on dry skin (which you can do, according to the label), the water that's on my leg instantly mixes with this cream and thins it out considerably. In fact, for me, it almost washes the cream away completely. So I found that I had to use more product than I'm used to in order to get a good coating.

When actually shaving my legs, I knew I was in for trouble because instantly, I could feel my razor drag against my skin. The biggest issue I have with this shave cream is that there is no slip. When I shave with this product, it feels about as dry as if I were shaving with just water and nothing else. It's hard for me to describe this, but I hope that makes sense.

Also, here's the deal-breaker for me: I don't think I'm getting a close shave with this product. I noticed that I was stubbly long before I'm used to feeling stubble on my legs (it usually takes me a full 24 hours to feel slight stubble on my legs after shaving). I shaved one of my legs at about 10AM yesterday, and I could feel stubble on that leg by 5PM, which is very rare for me. The only thing I can think of is that this product created some sort of barrier that made it difficult for my razor to get as close as it should. I could be wrong of course, but that's my guess.

So how did the skin on my legs feel after the shower? I'm sorry to say they felt dry and itchy. I was extremely sad about this, considering how many skin-nourishing ingredients are in this formula. I really was hoping that I wouldn't have a need for lotion after shaving, but my legs were pretty much calling out for lotion when I got out of the shower.

Perhaps I am just completely spoiled by my holy grail shave cream, and nothing else will ever hold a candle to it. If you haven't found your holy grail can't-shave-without-it shaving product yet, maybe this will work for you. Everyone's skin is different, and everyone's hair is different. So please do not let this review convince you of anything--I'm just sharing my OWN experience with this product. I'd say, see for yourself and grab a bottle while it's free this week. Then come back and tell me how it went. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some of you end up loving this one.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Hi, thank you for the review. This helps me to not want to rush out and get it just because it's free. I also really liked the line "if you're thinking, "Wow, how quickly does her hair grow??"".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your honest opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems nobody can beat Kiss My Face Moisture Shave. I even like KMF Lip balm better than EOS. Thanks for the honest reviews.

    Let us know if you try EOS Body Lotion I'm willing to give them another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. colormepinkenblue: You are so welcome. If you get it, I really hope it works for you. Either way, I'd LOVE to hear what you think. And I'm glad you found that funny! :)

    PCS: You are so welcome! xo

    Melody: I have to say you're right--I have yet to find a shave cream that can stand up to the perfection of Kiss My Face. :) I've tried a lot of KMF products but I can't believe I've never gotten around to getting one of their lip balms! Thanks for the tip--I'll have to pick one up! And yes, if I can find a good deal on the EOS lotion I will DEFINITELY review it. I haven't given up on them yet either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This review makes me sad. I actually just got a bottle today, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I love the smell, I got the pink one, and I was really hoping to all around love it. Of course, I am going to try it for myself and I am really hoping I like it.

    Great review though! I like hearing about stuff you don't like as much as the stuff you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. geckogal: Would you please, please, please come back and let us know what you think when you try this product? I would SO love to know if you had better results with it!! Thanks hun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this product after reading another blogger’s review of it a couple of days ago. I have sensitive skin and usually use Aveeno’s shave gel for Sensitive Skin. I tried the Vanilla Bliss scent with my Schick Quattro women’s razor IN THE SHOWER (didn’t want the “dry shave” to be the difference in the effectiveness of this product vs. others I’ve tried).

    Pros: Absolutely closest shave I’ve ever gotten. My legs are so smooth, I just want to rub them against themselves all night. Also got it on sale at Walgreen’s for $2.99 ($2 cheaper than my regular Aveeno), so that was a plus, as well.

    Cons: Even using 2 pumps per leg, I did experience the product buildup on my razor and it also took all of the “lubrication” off the lubricating strip on the razor which contributed to the buildup. With replacement blades coming in at $9, I cannot afford to change the blade after one shave. I probably won’t use it again for that reason, alone. Additionally, I had what felt like the irritation of razor burn for about 30 minutes after using the product, and some redness, too. Both are gone, now, but that’s the last thing I want to get on my way out the door in a short dress.

    I’ll probably go back to my Aveeno or Skintimate…

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I am completely shocked to hear this, I've been using this in the vanilla scent for 6 months and I LOVE it! The only thing it compares to for me is a Lush product that I can't afford right now. I have CRAZY sensitive skin and this is literally only the second product I've found in my entire life that doesn't give me MAJOR irritation and almost a chemical burn level reaction. It's sad to me that it didn't work for you. One of the reason's I love your blog is that you seem to have fairly sensitive skin as well. Oh well, one persons trash is another's treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was also really surprised by your reaction to the product. I used it both wet and dry to test and it's pretty much amazing. Even with a cheap 2-blade disposable razor I got a better shave than I possibly ever have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey G! Just wanted to say that when I first tried it, it mixed with the water too, and was awful! But I was determined to use it all up, and found that "wiping" the water from my legs first helped! I got a closer shave and I didn't get that same "dragging" feeling.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig