Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, March 19, 2010

Follow-up Friday

Since I'm feeling under the weather and not really up to writing a new review today, I wanted to follow up on some past products I've reviewed and let you know if I still hold my original opinion of them. If this is a feature that you would like me to continue in the future, please leave a comment here and let me know!

First up:

TREsemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo (click here for my original review)


As I mentioned in my review, I wasn't completely wowed by this one. I'm a loyal user of Batiste Dry Shampoo from Sally (click here for that review) and in comparison, I didn't like the strong, chemical fragrance of TREsemme, and I didn't like the feeling of my hair after I used it (sort of a sticky/tacky film).

Well, I'm sad to say that my opinion of this product has actually declined since my initial review. Since I'm currently under the weather, I skipped my daily shower yesterday and this morning my hair was REALLY greasy, especially my bangs. I thought it would be a perfect time to revisit TREsemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo and I could really put it to the test on hair that's dirtier than I would normally have on any given day. Well, I shook the can as instructed, applied as instructed, and guess what? It didn't take away my greasy hair even remotely as well as it did the first time I used it. This leads me to believe that it really only works for me when my hair's not that greasy to begin with. I was actually quite surprised at how little my hair had changed after I used this product today. So I added a bit more, and that was a huge mistake as it gave me quite a gray cast that I couldn't remove even after repeatedly running a fine-tooth comb through my hair (this usually does the trick with other dry shampoos). So all in all, I'd say that, for me, my instincts were right on the mark. Not the best dry shampoo out there, and I'm definitely sticking to Batiste in the future. I am very happy for those of you who have found success in TREsemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo, because it's almost half the price of Batiste and more easily accessible. I wish I had the same results that you did.

Next up:

Black Radiance Perfection Complexion Shine Control Primer (click here for my original review)



In my original review, I said that I was having great luck with this face primer because, unlike other silicone-based primers, it contains kaolin (white clay) which works quite well to combat my oily skin. Well I've been using this primer every day since I wrote my review, and I have to tell you that I love it more now than I did when I wrote my review! We've been having unseasonably hot weather here in San Diego these last few days, and I am constantly impressed by how this product keeps my powder foundation in tact and looking fresh for HOURS longer than if I had skipped it. This baby keeps not only my foundation in place but my concealer as well. It may be a challenge to find Black Radiance products in your area, but I'm telling you, if you are an oily-skinned gal like me, it's worth the hunt. For around six bucks, it's a true wonder-product for me, and the best part is that it can double as a great eyeshadow primer as well. Oh, and I want to add that it has never once broken me out. LOVE.

And finally, I'm travelling back to a review I wrote over a year ago:

Kiss My Face Moisture Shave (click here for my original review)
In my original review, I said that I had been using this for over a decade. Well, I am pleased to say that that has not changed! I still use Kiss My Face Moisture Shave every single day, and as you can tell if you do a search for shave creams, gels or lotions on this blog, I have not reviewed another product that has ever taken its place. Why? For me, it simply works better than any other shaving product I've ever used. For me, foams and creams don't allow for the closeness I prefer (and sometimes they make my razor drag against my skin). Other shave lotions don't seem to have enough slip to enable a nice, smooth, razor-burn-free shave. With Kiss My Face Moisture Shave, I get the best of all worlds every single time: a close shave, a smooth shave, and a shave that leaves my legs soft and hydrated. I never get razor burn on my legs, and very rarely do I see bumps or ingrown hairs. Plus, the scents are fabulous! I think in my original review I said that my favorite was Peaches & Cream. Well that has since changed and I really prefer Key Lime these days. But I have to tell ya, that is the only thing that has changed since my initial review. This one is a true, honest Holy Grail product for me and I don't see myself ever switching brands. If you haven't tried Kiss My Face Moisture Shave before, you can find it at most drugstores (CVS, Rite Aid, etc.) in the natural beauty aisle and it retails for around $8. I know that's pricey, but for me, it's worth every single penny. Oh, and Mr. Recessionista has become a loyal user as well after trying my bottle (and shhhh! Don't tell him this, but I've gotten a few ex-boyfriends hooked on this stuff too!).

That's it for my follow-ups...I'm going back to bed! Oh, but before I go, I thought I'd share some random thoughts with ya:

1) Did you see Jessica Simpson's The Price of Beauty? I was kind of looking forward to it (as I do with any type of beauty-related show on TV) but I thought this was just kind meh. Did you like it? Speaking of beauty-related TV shows, does anyone remember that makeup artist reality show from a few years ago called Blush? I wonder if they're ever going to bring that back! It was cheesy but fun!

2) I changed my Firefox persona again (last week it was a cupcake theme) and this one is soooo pretty I just have to share: click here to try on vector flowers.

3) For my fellow My So Called Life fans out there, did ya see this?

SHARE:

17 comments

  1. I have seen brian all grown up before, but I never saw this pic. I didn't know he had gotten divorced; poor Brian. And apparently he's not too far from me... stalker time! lol, jk. I like how you go back to items you have reviewed and update them, it's really nice to see they work/ don't work for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I feel the same way with the Tresemme Dry Shampoo. I am so utterly disappointed in it that I'm probably going to go return it if they let me. I have black/brown color-treated hair, and let me tell you, this leaves a white powder on my hair that's VERY noticeable and doesn't do ANYTHING for the greasy-ness. You have the same type of bangs that I have (sideswept) and I can totally vouch for the "greasy-bangs" syndrome because it's SUPER noticeable if you don't wash for more than a day.

    I'm sticking with my ordinary baby powder, and I just recently got Candy Fluff from LUSH and I'm going to start trying that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just wanted to say that I *love* to see long-term reviews on products. Please continue to do these follow-ups! And I'm putting the Kiss My Face shave stuff on my grocery/drugstore list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with continuing with follow-up reviews :) When my current shaving foam runs out I am definitely going give kiss my face a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes please do this type of post again!

    I used to use the Kiss My Face Shave Lotion in college and then couldn't find it anymore. I had not thought about that in years! I loved it because I got such a smooth and fast shave from it. I will have to look that up again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes definitely continue the review updates. I love them, and this inspires me to do more of my own. ;)

    I totally agree about the KMF moisture shave. I tried it several years ago and like you I have not wanted to try ANYTHING else since. I love the peaches scent, but maybe for my next bottle I'll give key lime a go since you and I so often have similar tastes. :) I didn't use it when I shaved recently and got the worst razor burn I'd had in years on both underarms and both legs. OUCH. I guess that's life's way of reminding me not to skip out on KMF moisture shave anymore!!! Wish I could get Mr. Menagerie to try it, but he's so stuck in his ways. ;)

    Emeryldmist: I find KMF all over the place now. It seems they have expanded their distribution. I used to only see them at places like Whole Foods but I have seen it at Trader Joes, Ralphs, even Target sometimes. And there's always the good ole' internet. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the follow up reviews too. :D

    The Kiss my Face moisture shave is amaaaaazing. And a bottle may cost $8, but it lasts me ages and ages. My favorite is the mint one. I'm actually out right now, so I really need to get more.

    And I emailed the people at Black Radiance because I don't know where to get it around here, and they never replied. :( So I still can't get the primer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes. Please continue with updates on the products you initially review. I know sometimes I first like a product and then after a while it just gets to be "yuh". And thanks for showing the personna.. LOVE it and also the Hippie vintage. No more Cookie Monster for me for a while. LOL
    Hope you feel better soon. Drink some green tea with honey and lemon.. hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the follow-up posts. It's so great to read about long-term use and performance, in addition to all the cool new stuff you bring.

    I've never used any of these products, but I'm a fan of Tresemme in general. Still, I'll probably avoid this.

    I'm definitely adding the Black Radiance primer to my list. I'm not using a primer right now, but as the weather gets hotter, I hope this one performs well.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes please continue the follow ups. Aside from the obvious, I got another benefit: Hadn't seen the reviews for the KMF. I use Venus or Intuition razors and am happy with them, but will get some for DH to try.

    re: RAZOR BURN - hands down the VERY best and nearly immediate treatment is the Monistat chafing gel. I originally bought it for a face primer and it works great. But I used it after waxing and it's miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa Denise, seriously???? I have that monistat stuff in my medicine cabinet already! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PCS: OMG, you are too funny! I guess you really DO have a crush, don't ya? You are too cute. :)

    Amy: Thank you so much for that! I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't have luck with this, because I keep reading such good reviews on other blogs. I'm so happy for those who have found success with this product, but I just can't make it work for me. :(

    Rachel: Thank you so much for taking the time to give me feedback on this! I will definitely continue to do it then! :D And let me know what you think of Moisture Shave when you get it, ok?

    Rubychopsticks: Will do! And please please let me know what you think of Moisture Shave when you try it! :D

    Emeryldmist: You got it! And yes, as Gloss Menagerie said, Moisture Shave is available in tons of other locations these days. I still can't believe both CVS and Rite Aid carry it now, as well as Target! But just be sure to NOT look in the regular shave cream aisle--it's always in the natural beauty product aisle. :)

    Alyson: You got it, honey! And that goes for you too--please write more follow-ups on your blog soon, ok? :) And I'm so stoked that we both love KMF! That is awesome as I have yet to see another blogger talk about this product. I almost felt like, "Am I the only one who loves this stuff?" lol. And of course you have to tell me if you like Key Lime, ok? I can't believe that Mr. GM hasn't converted over yet!

    Hana: Thank you! And YAY for another KMF fan! I love the mint one too (that's Mr. R's fave) but right now I just reeeeeally love that Key Lime. I'm sorry that you haven't rec'd a response from BR yet...I'll try to find out the scoop for you from my BR contact. Feel free to email me your location (city and state) and I'll see what I can do, ok? :)

    Lysses: You got it, honey! And thanks so much for the well-wishes--I actually had a nice big cup of green tea this morning and it made me feel soooo much better. :) And OMG, I love the cookie monster persona. It's adorable! Did you switch to the vector flowers? I love the little flowers at the bottom of the screen on that persona--it's such a cute touch. :)

    Sarah: Thank you so much, honey! I will definitely do more follow-ups in the future! And yes, I've had such luck with other TREsemme products...I think that's why I'm so bummed that this one didn't work for me. Please let me know what you think of the BR primer if you get it, ok? :)

    Denise: Nice to hear from you again!! How was your trip w/ hubby? You mentioned the razors you use, but what type of shave cream/gel/lotion do you currently use with your razor? The KMF is so amazing--I would LOVE for you to try it and let me know if you like it. And thanks for the great tip about the Monistat! Wow, who knew? :)

    Alyson: That's an awesome tip, huh? I'd love to know if it works for you too! Yay Denise! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just went out today and purchased the shave cream (kiss my face) I can't try it until April (I'm moving back to Orange County!) I'm eager to try it though! I bought the peach-cream one...that's all they had.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey Siluet...I'm in OC! :) Love to meet other OC beauty enthusiasts. we should chit chat! do you have twitter? mine's @glossmenagerie

    ReplyDelete
  15. @GlossMenagerie: Great! If you like it and have tried other primers, please let me know how it measures up. It isn't my tip; I ran across some debates on the web because some people were grossed out that Monistat makes the product. Most agreed that it's the same stuff inside the tube as other dimethecone primers, and the name doesn't mean anything to me. It's the only face primer I've ever tried, so I don't know for sure how it measures against anything else.

    @R: I have this weird fascination with off-lable uses of products if you're getting the same thing for less money. Occasionally, the off label use is better than any of the intended products.

    In fact, I'd love to see you do a Wednesday Question on what kinds of off-label things that people do, like how maybe a certain blush makes a better lipstick, etc.

    As for the chafing cream, that stuff is DA BOMB. And I recently read that models carry it in their emergency kits because it helps if you feel a blister coming on in your shoe. So that is three different common uses for one product!

    I do use the venus and intuition razors without any kind of shave cream, because they have the emollient bar right on the razor. Till I started with them I'd never used anything but cheap razors and bath soap and was sold on the difference immediately. If the KMF stuff with a cheap razor works just as well, I'll go back to them and use the KMF. The V/I razors are great, but at $4 each, I am up for finding a good replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVED this follow up post! More please :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm coming across this post a little while after it was posted. I just wanted to make a comment though. I'd never used dry shampoos before - mostly because I have curly hair and can't comb it once it's dry. However, Tresumme has a dry foam shampoo that I was intrigued by. It says "For dry/curly to normal hair." So far, I've tried it a couple times and love it. And there is no fragrance/smell to it at all. Maybe you'd think better of that one?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig