Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, November 21, 2009

If you've got a Dollar Tree in your town, GO THERE NOW!

Thanks to my dear reader, the lovely Femputer, for the heads-up on this one!

Femputer recently told me that the MakeupAlley girls are flocking to Dollar Tree right now due to the recent influx of older, discontinued, and hard-to-find Sally Hansen and Maybelline nail polishes. Well, she didn't have to tell me that twice before I was out the door and in the car! I am all about getting much-coveted drugstore nail polishes--and especially for $1 a piece!

Sadly, my Dollar Tree didn't have ANY nail polishes (waaaah!) but I did find some other things that made the trip very worth my while.

As Femputer told me, Dollar Tree also has Sally Hansen Natural Butter Lip Shines right now, which retailed for $6.99 at the drugstore (I believe they have been recently discontinued). Ladies, if you haven't tried the Lip Shines yet, you've got to check these out. They are so pretty, and they contain shea, mango and cocoa butter! Also, they're not too sticky, yet they have great staying power. I love the color I purchased, "Bloom", which is a slightly shimmery, medium berry. It's not too sheer, yet it's not too opaque. It's literally the perfect gloss for me when I want a pop of color that looks natural. It makes my lips look like they're blushing, which I love.



And I love the brush! It's small and sort of firm, which makes it ideal for precision lip gloss application:



Here's a swatch on my hand:


(FYI, it's much shinier in person, but this is a good representation of the color)

Next, I found this lovely product, which I somehow had never heard of before: Maybelline Great Wear Budge-Proof Waterproof Eyeliner (retail: around $3.49):



Um, excuse me but why didn't anyone tell me how awesome these were BEFORE Maybelline chose to discontinue them??

First of all, they're automatic, which you know I love:



And second, I love this color, Taupe, for a natural, earth-tone look:



And third, this is what the liner looked like after I did the smudge-test (I rubbed the line vigorously with one finger for about 10 seconds):



The sucker didn't budge! OK, I think I need to go back and get more of these (my Dollar Tree had them in Taupe, Black and Navy).

FYI, my Dollar Tree also had TONS of Maybelline Line Stylist liners in "Onyx", if you're a fan of those (I have never tried them). I'm not a huge black eyeliner fan so I didn't get one, but I've heard they're pretty good for the waterline since the tip is very, very fine.

And what Dollar Tree visit would be complete if I didn't pick up some flavored lip balms? I am such a lip balm junkie these days, and even though these aren't known for their moisturizing properties, I am a SUCKER for lip balms that are shaped differently than the traditional tube, so I picked these up, by Lotta Luv:



Vanilla Gelato and Banana Cream Pie Blizzard? How could I resist? :)

So tell me, have you already scored big at your local Dollar Tree? If not, do you plan on heading out to one this weekend to see what you can find? Tell me, tell me!
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. I love the Dollar Tree and 99 Cents Store, I always find great deals anything from Maybeline, Almay, even L'Oreal HIP products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got two of the SH polishes (green with glitter and purple with glitter) last weekend. Then I sent my boss back during the week to pick up some more elderly friendly colors for when we do manicures.

    Unfortunately though, Dollar Tree's seem to be hit or miss since the one nearest me is the one that I find the most stuff at, but if I go to the one less than ten minutes in the other direction, it rarely has anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This influx of fab nail polish has not made it to the DT's in my area. I've actually been to two recently and the makeup section was limited to some long-discontinued Maybelline lipglosses (and one sad, battered Revlon Street Wear double-ended eye pencil). I may need to check again next time I'm in the area though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, now I have to go to the dollar tree tomorrow. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dollar Trees around here are not so good on the makeup front, but I think I'm going to have to make a trip up to my hometown as soon as I can. I like the look of those Lip Shines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheap N Fab: I am right there with you! I usually find great things at my Dollar Tree but this time I found REALLY great things. :) Now if I could just get my hands on those nail polishes...:)

    Papaya Bunny: Score!!! I'm so jealous! lol. And my Dollar Trees are the same--the one right down the street never has anything, but the one that's a town over has all those Carlo di Roma goodies. Go figure.

    Beck: Your Dollar Tree sounds a lot like one in my town. It's so strange how the inventory varies so greatly, even within the same city, huh? :(

    Heather! Go tomorrow! And report back! lol! :) xo

    Leigh: You know, I'm tempted to actually call a few locations to save myself from driving all over this city. Do you usually have good luck at the one in your hometown?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also found a BUNCH (too many for my own good) of Cover Girl eye shadows, they were in a pack of two!Fifty cents each shadow!

    I found some Maybeline mascara, mousse eye shadows,mouse blush, eyeliners, long lasting lipsticks, and wet shine lipsticks.

    On a previous visit they had some really nice H.I.P. cream blushes and some Olay foundations.

    I guess we are just lucky here, because I've gone to three DT's and they all had AWESOME stuff.

    I'm afraid of going to Dollar Tree now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dollar tree near me is my favorite store lately. I stop to check for new stuff at least once a week, but I decided not to stop today. Now I wish I had. I plan to go back, probably tomorrow, and I really really hope they have the lip shines.

    By the way, I just found your blog a few weeks ago but I've been addicted since then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought those Blizzard lip glosses at the Dollar Store a couple days ago! I got them in Cookie Dough, Banana Cream Pie, and Strawberry Cheesequake. I love the little containers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to DT today and got the exact same gloss!!! I was so excited, lol. I also picked up a Sally Hansen nail polish (most of my stores have been stocking up like CRAZY on these old polishes from SH and Maybelline) and a Maybelline dream mousse eyeshadow (in a taupe-ish color, of course!!). I also saw the Great Wear liners (I wish they had that color!!), two-packs of Cover Girl shadows, and some other type of Sally Hansen gloss. Dollar Trees have been pretty good lately!

    ReplyDelete
  11. neijie: WOW, you have CG eyeshadows at your DT? I am so jealous! And I have never seen anything from HiP at my DT. You've got a reeeeally good store! :)

    Sandi: I am SO happy that you're enjoying my blog! That totally makes my day! :) And I would love to know if you're able to find those Sally Hansen glosses at your DT. Let me know! xo

    Kittenish: OK, I just used my Blizzard lip balm today and I have to say that I'm disappointed. :( It does smell like banana cream pie, but the taste is SUPER sweet and almost just tastes like pure sugar (actually more like Splenda). And it's not very moisturizing (but I sort of expected that). What did you think of the other flavors? I hope you weren't as let down as I was. :)

    Tanya: YAY!!!! Are you liking that gloss as much as I am? I am so jealous that your DT has the polishes AND the CG shadows. I'm going to have to take a trip to another location asap. Thanks for all the good info, sweetie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Banana cream pie blizzard!? Sold! Cosmetic or perfume that smells like food I'm all over it :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made my mom take me and my sister to the Dollar Tree today, even though it was kind of 30 miles out of our way...and I'm so glad I did. They didn't have the glosses which made me sad, but I ended up leaving with 4 Maybelline dream mousse shadows in Suede Sensation, Mint Dream, Lilac Cloud, and Heavenly Pink. AND they had the L.A. colors nail art deco things back again. I already have almost every color from a few months ago (I'm addicted to them), but I found a purple and pink I didn't already have. In my opinion, it was completely worth the extra driving. Thanks so much for letting me know they had new stuff in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my...I am a Dollar Tree freak...I love love love to go to Dollar tree. I like it when they have costmetic products from famous brand. But recently I am just mad because I seen a lot of post for Dollar Tree haul, but I could not find any items at my nearby Dollar Tree stores. I think, somtimes, different Dollar Tree have different items in stock. I notice that if I travel to a different city...they have better items. Or I have to go to the store at certain time of the month where they restock or have new items on shelf. I guess it still ok but sometimes it feel like I was a trip to go there. Otherwise....it still very cheap to buy other supplies, especially for school

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you SO much for posting this! After I read your post I went to the Dollar Tree that is closest to where I live, and I'm so glad that I did! While I didn't find any of the nail polishes or the Sally Hansen lipgloss, I did find some Covergirl and Maybelline makeup! Here are the things that I got;

    -Maybelline Wet Shine Fusion lip color in Pink Sunset.

    -CoverGirl Eyeslicks gel eyeshadow in Neon Pink and Shimmering Pebble(they came in a pack of two- that's 50 cents a peice! Wow!)

    -Maybelline Great Wear eyeliner in Dark Chocolate(I was so excited to find this since I LOVE waterproof eyeliner!)

    -Maybelline Dream Mousse blush in Pink Frosting(LOVE THIS!)

    I love all of the makeup I got, and all of it was in good condition =D Thanks again for posting this, I'm definetly going back for more tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. princess azure: lol! You are too cute. :) I hope you have better luck than I did with the Banana Cream Pie balm. I used it yesterday and while it smells delish, the taste is just meh. Sort of tastes like straight up Splenda. :(

    Sandi! You SCORED!!! Yay!!!! I'm sorry you all had to drive so far to get there, but I'm so happy it paid off--big time! My DT doesn't have nearly as good of a selection as yours. I'm so jealous! xo

    ngocupham: I totally agree with you, honey. The inventory at DT varies GREATLY from store to store, even within the same city. It's so frustrating! And you're right--they are great for school supplies as well (and sometimes even food and snacks!). :)

    Kieran: OMG, OK, I am so freaking jealous of your DT haul! Dream Mousse BLUSH?? CG Eyeslicks in TWO-PACKS? Now you're just trying to rub it in! LOL!! :) Pleeeease let me know what else you're able to find if you visit other DTs, ok? I looove hearing about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I'm glad you got some goodies, anyway! (Those SH butter glosses are made of awesome, are they not? Why is everything good discontinued?) Seriously, keep checking, and try other DTs in your area if you can! The way some tell it @ MUA, it's been an easter egg hunt finding those polishes. Some have them, some don't.

    *happy sigh* Reading this post and all the comments is very validating! I always felt kinda weird haunting the Dollar Tree like I do, but it appears I'm not the only one! You can get some awesome deals there if you're vigilant! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. femputer! I owe it ALL to you, and look at how many people this info has affected in a positive way! We have all scored big time at our Dollar Trees, even if we didn't get the nail polishes. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw shucks, you're too sweet! =^.^=

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig