Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, November 21, 2009

Dear theblackrose900: I am not L'Oreal Paris. Love, Me xo


It's come to my attention recently that there's a growing epidemic of consumers who leave critical comments on beauty bloggers' posts, as if the blogger actually works for the company of the product that's being reviewed.

This brings me to a comment I received tonight, from a reader named theblackrose900. She left this on a post I wrote a while back, which is a review of L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen Mascara (click here to read my review):

theblackrose900 writes:

It bothers me that your mascara models are OBVIOUSLY wearing fake eyelashes. Falsely advertising that your product will make your eyelashes look that way. I'm not so naive as to believe that your product will make my eyelashes look as advertised. Very disappointed. You shouldn't lie to get people to buy your product.

Dear theblackrose900,

I'd like to start by telling you that I actually feel the exact same way that you do about cosmetics companies using deceptive images to promote their mascaras, when clearly the models in the ads are wearing false eyelashes. In fact, The Paraben Free Princess wrote an excellent and quite informative post about this very topic recently: click here to read it.

But as much as I share your sentiments, I just want to set the record straight on a few things that you might have missed:

1) I do not work for L'Oreal Paris (or for any other cosmetics or beauty company, for that matter--I'm a regular citizen, just like you.)

2) The photos in my review are of ME, and were no way enhanced. I was wearing two coats of L'Oreal Extra Collagen Mascara in those photos and nothing more. No false lashes were involved, I assure you. If I were wearing falsies in those photos, that would be just plain sad, because my lashes don't look particularly full OR long.

3) The photos in my review were not photoshopped (I don't even know how to use photoshop, nor do I own that software). They were taken on my crappy Blackberry phone, long before I could afford a digital camera.

4) If you take another look at my actual review, you'll see that I didn't give L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen Mascara an extremely favorable review. I had several issues with that mascara, actually.

I hope this clears up any and all misunderstandings.

Love,
The Recessionista xo

PS: I think I'm speaking for most beauty bloggers when I say this: Please don't think that we work for the companies of the products we review. For the most part, we're all just consumers, exactly like you. And if you have any questions about L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen Mascara that I didn't answer here or in my review, please feel free to email me or comment here. I'd be happy to help!
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. what!! I can't believe people actually believe your blog is run by X company. Definitely a case of someone not reading and just looking at the pretty pictures!

    I'm curious as to whether the commenter ever emailed you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow some people have the nerve lol...did the person ever reply back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO. Talk about barking up the wrong tree. DERP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing blackrose was in the cups when s/he wrote the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's crazy! How rude of her.
    Especially since if you were working for L'Oreal, you'd have to disclose that now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Roamy! Thank you for that. I think she was a bit confused and I hope my post set her straight about some things! And no, she hasn't contacted me since she left the comment. :(

    Hi Cheap and Fab: Nope, net yet! Hopefully she'll see this though. :)

    Hey Alyson! lol! I totally agree. Unfortunately picked the wrong person to take this out on! :)

    Hi Dee: LOL!!!! OMG, your comment cracked me up! :) xo

    Hey Phyrra: I thought it was a tiny bit rude too, but I can understand her anger--it was just directed toward the wrong person! lol. And you're absolutely right! I would have to disclose such information now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally understand the comment that person make. It was rude but I can understand her(his?) anger. It totally bothers me when I see mascara ads in magazines, it is so obvious the lashes are false or have been enhanced...

    I'm glad about your note at the end of your post, our readers need to know that we are mere consumers who actually spend money buying all these products. And by law, we do have to establish very clearly when we are reviewing a product that was sent to us by XXXX company or if it is and advertisement. The FTC just released new guidelines about that.

    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Beda! Thanks for backing me up, sweetie! (And yes, I know all about that new law--I made sure to read up when the news first broke!). :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was recommended to use Natural medicated cosmetics cos they don't have side effects..

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig