Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Unboxing & Review: August 2015 Allure Beauty Box

Some of you requested that I continue to review the newly-relaunched Allure Beauty Boxes each month (the first box was the July 2015 box; you can see that unboxing HERE). Since I subscribed to this box when it first launched, I'm happy to continue showing you the contents each month (for as long as I continue to subscribe, of course).

If you missed my original posts about the Allure Beauty Box, this is a subscription service that costs $15 per month (includes shipping), and you can sign up for this box HERE.

So let's take a look at what was inside the August box!


Keep reading to see the contents of the Allure Beauty Box for August 2015, including my thoughts about this month's box...

The Allure Beauty Boxes ship the first week of each month. You'll receive an email shipping notification with tracking number when your box has shipped. Here's what inside the August 2015 box:


As with the July box, the first thing you see when you open the box is the booklet containing the "theme" for that particular month's box (this month's box is all about "color"). 

The product info for each item is nice and detailed; key info is outlined clearly (what it does, price, where to buy, etc.) and I ESPECIALLY appreciate the "how it looks/feels/smells" section, since you know I'm all about describing those things in my own product reviews. I also appreciate that they explain what the Allure editors like in particular about each product.



Also in this box, a card promoting a current giveaway for Allure Beauty Box subscribers.

Contents of August 2015 Allure Beauty Box

So let's start with the makeup items in this month's box:

Deluxe sample Benefit They're Real Push-Up Liner in Black
Allure & butterLONDON Nail Lacquer in Violet's Revenge (0.2 oz.)

Let's talk about the polish first. In the intro for this month's box (see above), there are two shades mentioned. I lucked out and received Violet's Revenge (the other shade is Sweet Spot which is a "powdery pink"). I think it's completely random as to which shade you get, and since light pinks generally look horrible on me, I'm stoked that I got this violet-blue shade. 

This polish is part of the Allure & butterLONDON Arm Candy collection, and currently you can only purchase Violet's Revenge and Sweet Spot as part of a four-pack set of minis (0.2 oz. each, which is the same size included in this month's box). Since the 4-pack retails for $30, the polish in this month's box has a retail value of $7.50. So basically, you're getting everything else in this box for $7.50 (with free shipping).


Even though I order beauty products online all the time, I actually have never received a deluxe sample of this liner before. I've heard so many mixed reviews about this one, so I'm excited to finally try it for myself. I included more pics of this sample just in case you have never received one before and would like to know what it looks like:


Since the liner comes packaged in a plastic wrapper and also has a little rubber stopper (see orange tip above), I'm guessing that keeping this from drying out is a priority. Therefore, I'm not going to remove the stopper until I actually use it (wish me luck!).

Next up, the haircare items in this month's box:

Malin + Goetz Peppermint Shampoo deluxe sample (1 oz.)
Bumble and Bumble Grooming Creme deluxe sample (0.5 oz.)

I have tried very few Malin + Goetz products, so I'm curious to try this one since it's a clarifying shampoo (I love me some clarifying shampoos). And I'm very happy to have received this Bumble and Bumble product since, in the accompanying booklet, it's described to help "smooth frizz, boost waves and add texture to fine hair." Since I have fine, naturally-wavy hair that is prone to frizz, I'm all about this one.

And finally, we have the skincare products in this month's box:

Eau Thermale Avene Cleanance Gel Cleanser deluxe sample (1.69 oz.)
Nuance Salma Hayek AM/PM Anti-Aging Super Cream deluxe sample (0.265 oz.)

The Avene gel cleanser is described in the accompanying booklet as "a foaming cleanser for oily and acne-prone skin." BINGO! You know my skin is super oily, so I'm very happy to give this one a try. I also love that it's described as an "extremely gentle cleanser" that "lifts away grease and oil without stripping skin." 

As for the Nuance Salma Hayek Anti-Aging Super Cream, I actually haven't tried too many Nuance products over the years, but would you believe that one of the only skincare products from this line that I HAVE used is...this one? Yep, I reviewed this exact moisturizer way back in 2011 (you can check out my review here). Too funny, right?

Well the good news is that I really liked it then, so I will enjoy revisiting it considering that I've since moved on to other moisturizers (I can never seem to stay loyal to skincare for long; too many temptations!). 

 A closer look at the the Nuance deluxe sample


ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS: Would you believe that I'm even happier with this box than I was with last month's box? I enjoyed last month's box, but I really feel like this one was tailored to my own personal tastes and needs, which is creepy considering that you cannot customize these boxes (everyone gets the same things). Anyway, I feel that this box was worth the $15 for me personally (especially since that includes shipping) but I realize that this is subjective, and not eveyone may be as jazzed as I am about the contents of this month's box. All I can do is continue to show you these boxes each month, and let you know what I think of them. Hopefully that will help you to decide if you think these boxes may be a good fit for you. There's always a risk with these types of boxes, but so far the risk is paying off nicely for me. I'm not cancelling yet, so stay tuned for my thoughts on the September box in a few weeks!

Again, you can sign up for the Allure Beauty Box HERE ($15 per month).

PS: I'm wondering, now that Sephora has joined the beauty box subscription game, if these Allure boxes will get better and better? Only time will tell, I suppose!

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I like the detail which you go into. And the pictures were well done! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate that!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I am totally signing up for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cleanser! I got in a BB awhile ago and bought the full size. It is simply an amazing cleanser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that cleanser so much that I used up my sample as a face and body cleanser. I started with it on my face in the shower and loved the super-clean rinsing lather and fragrance, that I just kept going. Yet another product I'll have to locate and then stockpile! I'm beginning to realize that beauty box subscriptions and hoarding tendencies really do not mesh LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this box was well worth the $15. There's not a product I wouldn't have been excited about. I got the same facial cleanser from Ipsy awhile back and really liked it. The nail polish is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a great kit! I just got an invite to the Sephora one. I can't wait to see what they include.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the liner and wish I had kept my orange stopper when I bought the full size! I've read it can help the liner that remains at the tip from drying out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a box full of fun!!!! I am glad you are going to enjoy these!!!! Like a commenter said above the photos are extra exceptional!!!!! Love reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Avène is an AMAZING French pharmacie brand and the cleanser works great! Super gentle for sensitive skin but for oily/acne-prone folks as well. Sometimes "sensitive" cleansers just don't do well in cleansing. The Butter London polish definitely adds value to the box, making it so worth it. Can't believe I missed out on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried this box, but the value seems fantastic! I am lusting after that butter LONDON shade. I didn't know it was only in the set of four. Kind of a bummer!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig