Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, February 23, 2015

So I Took a Chance on an Inexpensive Perfume from the Discount Store...

I'm a fragrance addict, and I do not discriminate. I love everything from drugstore body mists to boutique fragrances and I honestly only have one thing on my mind when I sniff a fragrance: does it appeal to me? If the answer is "Yes!" then I don't care about the brand.

That said, you know I'm always looking for a good deal. I often find popular, expensive fragrances at discount retailers like TJMaxx, Ross, Marshalls and Burlington Coat Factory (those places are a goldmine for fragrance junkies since things are often more than 50% off retail). When I was at Burlington Coat Factory a few weeks ago, this fragrance caught my eye and I decided to take a chance on it....

Gale Hayman Beverly Hills Delicious Eau de Toilette
(retail: $12.99 at discount retailers, 3.3 oz)

So did taking a chance pay off? Keep reading to find out...


Now first let me say that I'm quite familiar with Gale Hayman fragrances. I own Delicious Cotton Candy (which is fun, but it's pretty much a single-note cotton candy fragrance that reminds me of the various cotton candy body mists you can get at the drugstore) and I know there are lots of other fragrances in her Delicious line. 

However, I have never actually tried the original Delicious, and what caught my eye about this package was that it said "Brand New Scent" on the box (there was also a scratch & sniff sticker on the cellophane wrapper, which I have never seen on other Delicious fragrances at the discount stores).

According to Fragrantica, Delicious debuted in 1994, and looking at the reviews on the Fragrantica site, I'm guessing that they changed/updated the fragrance recently. This would explain the "Brand New Scent" blurb on the box, but since I never tried the original Delicious, I cannot vouch for any differences between the two versions (sorry!).

Made in USA

Fun fact: When Gale Hayman was married to Fred Hayman, they created the brand Giorgio of Beverly Hills


If you've never seen a Delicious fragrance before, the packaging is quite...interesting. Definitely not for everyone (and sadly, that includes me). But I'm willing to overlook just about anything if I love the "juice" inside the bottle.


I'm "Delicious"


In terms of branding, I don't really get what a feline (is that a tiger?) has to do with "Delicious." This feline is perched atop every Delicious scent in the line, in case you didn't know. Delicious Cotton Candy has a pink feline on the bottle. 


Packaging aside, was this fragrance worth the $12.99 investment? HECK YES it was.

I'm not going to list the notes here, because I don't know if the information listed online is in reference to the old version or this "Brand New Scent." So let me just try and explain it to you the best I can.

If you like Dior Poison, which is described as a "spicy, fruity, amber scent," then I think you might like Delicious as well. They are NOT dupes, but similar. In fact, I revisited Dior Poison not too long ago (it was a favorite of mine when I was young) and I found it to be a little too sharp and severe for me now, in much the same way that some other popular 80s fragrances feel to me now. But Delicious is like a smoother, creamier version of Poison to my nose, which makes me so happy that I can barely contain myself. It's like my memories of Poison, if that makes sense.

I get warm amber here, along with sweet, syrupy fruits and a hint of spice (mostly cinnamon and nutmeg). But when this fragrance dries down, after about 15 minutes on my skin, it becomes a soft, cozy, comforting scent that smells a tiny bit clean and soapy. Almost like an exotic bar soap.

Projection is moderate to strong, depending on how much you apply. Longevity is quite good for me, especially if I get some in my hair, where it tends to last all day and into the night.

FINAL VERDICT: If you are a fan of Dior Poison but are looking for something a little less severe and bit more "comforting," then I think that you will very much enjoy Gale Hayman Delicious. I've been wearing this fragrance constantly since I purchased it, and I think that $12.99 for a large, albeit unique, bottle is a bargain. I say give this one a shot! It's a fantastic little gem that's perfect for fall/winter.

You can often find Gale Hayman Delicious at Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, Marshalls and TJMaxx for roughly the same price ($12.99). I've also seen it online for as low as $9.99.

Do you own any Gale Hayman fragrances? If so, I would absolutely love to hear from you! Which fragrances do you own, and how do you like them?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. That bottle!!! Hahahaha.. all I could think of was "Sex Panther" from Anchorman. That aside, fantastic review (as always) I think I need to hunt around my Burlington Coat Factory here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!!! That's hilarious! :)

      And thank you so much! I would absolutely love to know what you think if you take a chance on this one! It was such a pleasant surprise.

      Delete
  2. I looked up the cotton candy one & found a vanilla one too. I think I need both! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the vanilla yet, or some of the others in this line, but I'd love to know what you think of it if you get it! :)

      Delete
  3. I love gayle hayman cotton candy-I tried the apple one but it smelled like lime cleaner-definitely gonna look for this one! I heard there is a chocolate one, also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that about the apple one. What a bummer!

      Delete
  4. Cotton candy is very similar to pink sugar to my nose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that comparison before I bought it, but I didn't get that similarity (at least on my skin). The cotton candy note was there, but it lacked that musky note that PS has...this one was very light and airy and straight up cotton candy on me.

      Delete
  5. HAHAHA After I read I'm "Delicious," I just burst out laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only problem I have with "cheap" perfumes is that they don't last. That said my husbands favorite on me is the now discontinued Lady Stetson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! Some inexpensive perfumes I own cling to me for dear life, while some very expensive perfumes I own are so fleeting they're gone in 10 minutes after application. I never really attribute longevity to price. :)

      Delete
  7. I can't wear any fragrance due to migraines. However the feline topper reminds me of some old Avon colognes I was given years and years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have my very curious about this! I know I saw it somewhere recently and will go nuts trying to remember where it was so I can try. Poison was my signature back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that the Penn State Nittany Lion?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig