Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Review: Wet n Wild Limited Edition Fergie's Jet-Set Makeup Palette

My first post about these new limited edition Fergie's Jet-Set Palettes was back in September but, in case you missed that post, these palettes are available exclusively at Walgreens stores across the nation. You can find them in this free-standing display, and also at the bottom of this Holiday 2013 display

I was sent the 132-shade palette for review, but there is also a 131-shade palette, which contains cream eyeshadows instead of lip colors (you can see what that palette looks like here). For a brand that's known (and loved) for $0.99 nail polish and $2.99 eyeshadow trios, this palette is the most expensive product I've seen from Wet n Wild in the 20+ years that I've been using Wet n Wild products. So let's see if I can help you determine if it's worth the "unusual" price tag!

Wet n Wild Fergie Limited Edition Fergie's Jet-Set Makeup Palette
(retail: $30, exclusively at Walgreens)




This palette is heavy and substantial. It does not feel cheap, flimsy or light in the hands. If you dropped it on your foot, it would hurt. A lot. The shape is a perfect square, measuring about 4-1/2" by 4-1/2". If you look at the photo of the packaging (above), you can see that this palette opens up like a book. Once it's open, you slide the different levels out, like drawers. There are three levels on each side, for a total of six levels altogether.

Let's begin with the left side of this palette: 


LEVEL 1:

Thirty-six eyeshadows

LEVEL 2:


Twenty-four lip colors (glosses and lipsticks)

LEVEL 3:

Six blushes, two mini eyeliners (black and brown) and one mini lip pencil (red)

A closer look at the blushes:

 photo 048.jpg

I'm not saying "dupe" but that bright orange-y coral shade on the left side looks like it could be similar to NARS Taos. I wish I had Taos to compare but, sadly, I don't. Anyway, I see some other "lookalikes" here as well (some MAC blushes are coming to mind...that pale cool-toned pink on the top right looks a bit like MAC Well Dressed, no?). 

Now on to the right side of this palette:


LEVEL 1:


Thirty-six eyeshadows

LEVEL 2:

Twenty-four lip colors (glosses and lipsticks)

LEVEL 3:


Level 3 on the right side of this palette contains a compartment that you lift up to reveal a full-size mirror, some face powders and applicators:



Three face powders, two double-ended sponge-tip applicators, one lip brush and one face/blush brush

A closer look at the face powders:


SWATCHES

If I swatched and thoroughly tested all 132 shades in this palette, I'm afraid my review wouldn't be up until sometime next year. I like to test things for several weeks before I share my opinions with you, but that's just not possible given the enormity of this palette. Therefore, I tried my best to show you a little bit of everything, and please note that I did test several of these eyeshadows, lip colors, blushes and face powders over the past three weeks.

Let's start with the eyeshadows:

A few of the mattes and satin-mattes in this palette

First up, a few of the mattes and satin-mattes. Notice how pigmented even the yellow shade is without primer (usually mattes this light don't show up at all on my skin without primer). Also, I was VERY surprised by the texture of all of the mattes in this palette. They are all soft and buttery, but not too soft. None of them are hard and/or powdery. Honestly, they're some of the best mattes I've ever seen from Wet n Wild. I wore that brown shade (above) the other day with primer and the pigmentation was insane--right up there with my Bobbi Brown matte shadows (which are some of my favorite mattes ever).

A few of the sparkly shades in this palette

Most of the shades I swatched above are shimmers with sparkle, but the dark forest green on the left is a matte with sparkle (by the way, how unusual to find that color in a drugstore palette, right?). The texture of the sparkle shades a bit crumbly, so there is fallout when you're using these (both on your eyes and on the palette itself). They're a little bit messy to work with, but the good thing is that this palette isn't dominated by sparkly shades.

A few of the shimmers in this palette

The majority of the shadows in this palette are shimmery (but there is a nice amount of matte shades in this palette as well). What really surprised me with the shimmers above is how unique the shades are, for a drugstore palette. The first shade is sort of a mauvey-grape-taupe that looks much better on the eye than it does on my arm. I also love that icy lavender, the red, the lime-ish army green and of course the teal. I think the pigmentation is great without primer, and even better with primer, of course.

Next up, the blushes:

 photo 084-1.jpg

All of the blushes in this palette contains some type of shimmer and/or glitter, with the exception being the rose shade above (third from the left), which is 100% matte.

Here's a close look at all six shades:

 photo 082-1.jpg


I love all six of these colors. The texture is firm (as opposed to soft and crumbly), but not chalky or stiff. They don't leave a lot of fallout behind when you're picking up color with your blush brush, and they apply evenly and blend easily. The pigmentation is great on all six shades, but obviously the deeper shades are more intense. For me, these blushes are the highlight of the entire palette and I hope that Wet n Wild releases these colors individually at some point.


Sadly, the low-light for me in this palette is the lip color selection. First of all, I'm not a fan of lip colors in large palettes like this. The main reason is that I like to be able to reapply my lip color throughout the day, and that's just not practical if I have to carry around a big palette in my purse. But I would make an exception if the colors were worth it. Sadly, I tried several shades in this palette and found the pigmentation to be a bit lacking overall. Some shades are more pigmented than others and can be built up for good pigmentation but, for me, the prettiest and most unique-looking shades all went on very, very sheer, with only a hint of color. The gloss on the far right is one of those pretty lavender purples in the pan, but on my skin it just looks like a very sheer mauve.


As is the case with a lot of mini liners that come with palettes, I thought that the liners in this set were probably going to be very hard and waxy, but I stand corrected! The texture of both the eyeliners and lip liner is very soft and smooth, with almost a powdery feel to them. I quite like them, but I've been afraid to wear the eyeliners for any length of time (they're so smooth that I'm afraid they'll run on my oily skin). I don't generally wear lip liners, but this is a nice brick red and it's got a lovely, creamy consistency.

And finally, the face powders. 


This was an interesting choice by Wet n Wild. Two of these powders are true face powders (the warm shade and the cool shade) with no shimmer or glitter. They are more like color-correcting powders and have a nice, finely-milled texture. They don't translate as highlighters on the skin--they are true face powders. The middle shade is more of a bronzer and as you can see, it does contain shimmer and a bit of sparkle. I was able to use this as both bronzer and as a contour shade, but it's a very warm shade with yellow undertones, so I don't think it would work if you have a cooler skintone. I like all three powders, but the warm and cool shades just aren't practical to me, considering that I apply my face powder a few times throughout the day. However, if you're blessed with less oily skin and only apply your face powder in the morning, these powders could work well for you.

FINAL VERDICT: The big question that I think we're all asking ourselves about this palette is, "Is it worth $30?" I'm going to say YES but if you're still in doubt, allow me to explain. The blushes in this palette are fantastic and the size of the pans is comparable to smaller, full-size blushes on the market. They are 0.16 oz each and, for comparison, a CoverGirl Cheekers blush is 0.12 oz. So right off the bat, there's your $30 (CoverGirl Cheekers retail for $4.99 each and $4.99 x 6 = $29.94). But I also love the eyeshadows in this palette, and just about every shade exceeded my expectations. None of the shadows have a hard or difficult-to-work-with consistency. None are lacking in pigmentation (they're even better over primer) and the mattes and shimmers are downright awesome. The eyeshadow pans are 0.049 oz and, for comparison, a MAC eyeshadow is 0.05 oz. Considering that you get 72 shades and a great variety of colors including some shades that are quite unique for drugstore, that's yet another reason why the $30 price tag is justifiable (especially if you consider that just two MAC eyeshadows will set you back $30). Even if you're like me and don't use the lip colors or face powders too often, the value is there with just the blushes and shadows alone. But of course the choice is yours, and the great thing is that this palette is sold at Walgreens, which means you can use any Balance Rewards points you may have on your card to bring down the cost (and you can also wait for a sale...hopefully there will be another one soon!). Just remember that this palette is limited edition, so you only have a small window to grab it. I hope this review helps you better determine if this one's for you!

The Wet n Wild Fergie Limited Edition Fergie's Jet-Set Makeup Palette is available now, exclusively at Walgreens stores throughout the nation. You can find it in this free-standing display, and also at the bottom of this Holiday 2013 display

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

33 comments

  1. Awesome review with so much information! Thank you :) I wish there were blush onky pallettes available at the drugstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And you are so welcome. I'm happy I could help! :)

      Delete
  2. Nice review! I don't care for palettes like these because they seem to get messy very easily. I'm going to cross my fingers that at least of few these are around after the holidays to go on clearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understandable! Hope you can find it on clearance toward the end of the season. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow this is an amazing value set and love the detail review! Job well done, thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and you're very welcome!!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the amazing review on this palette G. I wasn't to sure if I wanted to pay 30 bucks for it because I didn't know how good the eyeshadows would be in it, but I am very excited now since you were happy with them. I am probably going to go for the palette with the cream shadows , since I am not a fan of lipsticks and glosses in palettes like these. I hope the shadows are the same in the palette with the cream shadows. Thanks again G :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome!! I would love to know what you think of the other palette when you try it!!

      Delete
    2. I will do G! I am going to try to wait for a sale on WNW before is get it though lol, I just hope they don't sell out before I can get my hands on one. Thanks again G :).

      Delete
  5. Nice review G. I saw your IG shot of the blushes and I really hoped it was a pallette I could just buy alone... My husband bought me an Ulta train case last year and I still have alot of the eyeshadows left. So I don't think I will purchase this or ask for it as gift, but if it does get clearanced for some reason or is included in a sale, I just may have to purchase for the blushes alone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, R.! And I totally understand... hope you can find it on clearance a bit later down the road!!

      Delete
  6. No way I would pay $30 for WnW. To each her own but No for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your feelings! For me personally, the quality and value is there for the shadows and blushers, but I realize it's a big commitment for a brand that's usually got a much lower price -point. :)

      Delete
  7. Great review as always, G! Those blushes look amazing! I agree with you, I almost never use the lipglosses in these big sets for the very same reason you mentioned! I don't know anyone who doesn't reapply their lip product throughout the day and you just can't do it with these big sets. In one way, I wish these makeup companies would stop including so much lipgloss/lipstick in these sets because it typically does go to waste. That being said, $30 for this set is a steal! Most of the time these are priced much higher. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol!! And yeah, I can't remember the last time I used lip colors from my other palettes that have them. :(

      Delete
    2. Try the lipstick if you haven't. They're better then you think. My only problem is that's there's so little lol

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Lol! I hope you like this one if you get it, Heidi! :)

      Delete
  9. This palette looks so amazing! I want it (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the very thorough review, great job as always! The blushes & eyeshadows look fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want this!! Do you see duplicates in the eyeshadows from one another or are they pretty different if that makes sense. I hate getting makeup set like this and there are multiples of colors. As far as the lip glosses I usually take one out at a time and use them as a base for lip scrubs. I just add sugar and honey until I get the consistency I like. I am definitely going to get this! Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your in depth review G! I'm lusting over the blushes, wish they would just do like a blush pallet...and they need to come out with more blushes, they only have 3-4 in the line! I think the price is a steal for the amount you are getting. Maybe they should have just added a few tube lipsticks instead of in the format they come in...I dislike lipgloss/lipstick that come in that format.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My walgreens has Both of them still... i guess the price of them makes people think twice.. I really want this now but I just can't bring myself to getting it.. knowing I have so many blushes and eyeshadows lol... I will probably wait for a sale or maybe hopefully clearance price? maybe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, I did not think everything was going to be this pigmented! Sometimes I think reading your blog is bad for my wallet! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did a nose-dive for this palette when I spied it. I'm in agreement that the lippies are not all that. Besides the total awesomeness of the shadows, I found the blushes to be wonderful. And, this is totally worth the $30.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How does this compare to some of the similar elf cases? like this one? http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/sets-and-palettes/palettes/master_makeup_collection

    ReplyDelete
  17. How easy would it be, in your opinion, to pop these pans out and put them in something like a Z Pallet?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This review is amazing and so detailed! Even though the lippies don't seem very pigmented or long lasting, I would totally spring on this set for the eyshadows or blushes. I'm going to keep my eyes open for this and cross my fingers that it goes on sale.

    By the way, I love your blog and the concept it centers around of affordable cosmetics. I myself am a budget beauty blogger, so I find it useful when I come across awesome reviews on drugstore makeup like the ones that you feature on Noveau Cheap :)

    xx
    -Thalia

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had a few sets like this, mostly from those color workshop (?) from Walmart, which are made by markwins Also, and this reminds me of those. Actually looks exactly like them with the exception of slapping the fergie name on it, don't get me wrong, I LOVE those Walmart pallets because they're GOOD. And they cost the same as this and sometimes less for exactly the same thing. I just wish wnw would stop slapping the fergie name on everything. I use to love wnw. It's one of the only cruelty free alternatives left at the drugstore but once I saw all the re-package stuff with higher price point because of a celebrity name I haven't really been into them as much 😞

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are only the 132 shade set available at Walgreens?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmm...I wish we knew more about the 131 palette to compare the two. The blushes in this are lovely, but I feel I'd rather have the one with cream shadows rather than these little lip colors which I never use in collections. But are both blush sets identical in these palettes? I'm doubting it :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig