Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, October 28, 2013

Review & Swatches: Jesse's Girl JulieG Limited Edition Holiday 2013 Frosted Gum Drops Collection


Jesse's Girl JulieG Limited Edition Holiday 2013
Frosted Gum Drops Textured Nail Color Collection

Back at the beginning of October, I posted the press material for the new Jesse's Girl JulieG Holiday 2013 Frosted Gum Drops Textured Nail Color Collection, and today I'm delighted to be able to share swatches of the entire collection with you!

This collection is available at Rite Aid stores and  online via the Jesse's Girl website, where you can purchase individual bottles for $3.99 each or the complete set for $23.95 (and you get everyday free shipping on orders of $20 or more, no code required). This collection is starting to pop up in more and more Rite Aid locations as we speak. In fact, reader Brie of Simply Thrifty Nails shared this pic of the display that she found at her Rite Aid last week:

image credit: Brie for Nouveau Cheap
 Jesse's Girl JulieG Limited Edition Holiday 2013 Frosted Gum Drops
Textured Nail Color Collection at Rite Aid
(retail: $3.99 each, 0.35 oz)



From the Jesse's Girl website:
IMPORTANT Frosted Gum Drops Application Information - For full effect, do not use a base or top coat. Using thin coats, apply 1-3 coats (for full coverage), allowing each layer to dry completely in between layers for full textured effect. This special textured formula may take up to 10 minutes to dry completely matte.

NOTE: All polishes were applied as directed (no base or top coat) and I used two coats of polish in all of the following photos. I'm showing you one photo in focus and one photo slightly out of focus, so you can better see the sparkle in each polish:

 Mistletoe

If you look closely, you can see that there are some very pretty blue glitters in this shade. I love Christmas-y greens in general, and this one so beautiful with that extra little dash of blue in the mix.


Gift of Gold

I'm not a huge gold polish fan (gold tends make my hands look red or give me "lobster claws" as we nail polish fanatics call them). But I love that this gold is more of an antique gold--it's a very saturated, rich color that's even prettier in person (and more sparkly in person).


Ho Ho Ho

Now this is one of those shades that just doesn't translate in photos. In person, this looks like some sort of sparkling strawberry rock candy on the nails. It is gorgeous and it far exceeded my expectations based on how it looks in the bottle.


 Sugar Plum Fairy

Here's another one that's so much prettier in person. This is NOT a blurple, as my photos might lead you to believe. In person it's a true purple and the sparkles in it really make it come alive on the nail. If you are a purple polish lover, this is a must-have. 

I do want to note that this is the one polish in the collection that took longer than just a few minutes to dry. It took a good ten minutes to completely dry (which Jesse's Girl mentions is the case with some of these) and I suggest following the directions and applying thin coats (and allowing the first coat to dry before you apply the second) to cut down on dry-time. If you apply thicker coats, it will take a very long time for this one to dry.


 Silver Bells

My camera could not pick this up on my nails, but if you look very closely inside the "J" on the bottle in the above pic, you can see that there is actually some teeny tiny blue and pink glitter lurking in this polish. You can only see the blue and pink on the nail in certain lights, but it's so pretty! I posted a macro shot of this on my Instagram account here, but it still doesn't quite capture the little blue and pink glitters (sorry). 


Sleigh Ride

What a lovely, vibrant blue this is, and quite sparkly, too. Based on the press photo, I thought this was going to be more of a cornflower blue, but it's actually a warmer electric-blue in person. I love it.



All of the polishes in this collection required two coats for good opacity. Not one of them required three coats for me, but I did notice that a few of these shades had a thicker consistency than others. None of these polishes were difficult or challenging to work with, and the only issue I had was with Sugar Plum Fairy which, as I mentioned above, took the longest to dry. Other than that, these polishes all dried quickly (just be sure you allow the first coat to fully dry before you apply the second one). I wore Mistletoe for three days without any chipping or peeling.

Removal is pretty much like a standard glitter polish. I think you're better off using the Foil Method or the Dip-It, just to make it easier on yourself and save some time.

FINAL VERDICT: I think Jesse's Girl has outdone itself with this collection. If you loved the original Frosted Gum Drops Collection, I think you're going to love these, too (especially if you're more of a jewel-tone person). You could look at a million swatches online but it just will not compare to seeing these colors in person, on your own nails. They completely come alive in person and the colors are so much more vibrant once they're on the nail. So if you think you like any of these shades based on my photos above, I think you'll really love them once you get them home and put them on. Every single color in this collection exceeded my expectations, but my personal favorites are Mistletoe and Ho Ho Ho (although I really love Sugar Plum Fairy and Sleigh Ride too).

For availability info, please see the second paragraph at the top of this post.

Do you own any JulieG Holiday 2013 Frosted Gum Drops polishes? If so, what shades do you have, and how do you like them? If not, are any of these shades calling your name? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. I have all of them, but haven't worn any yet. It looks like a couple shades are very similar to some pixie dust shades

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased the collection from the website a couple weeks ago for $20. I have four from the original collection, and these are even better! I couldn't wait, had to figure out a way to rock these for Halloween, so I'm currently wearing Sinful Colors in "Mesmerize" with accent nails of "Sugar Plum Fairy". LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so lovely! I really like the blue and purple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, you and your beautiful swatches! I thought I would get away with just buying a couple, but after seeing these swatches I'm pretty sure I must have them all. I wonder if they'll have a groupon deal like before -- that's how I got the previous collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking everything you just said to a T!

      Delete
  5. I so hope they do another Groupon! I think I want them all....and I just counted that I have 36 textures in my stash...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn, I was gonna get those until I saw in your Ingredient shot that they weren't 3-free :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that's not true. I think you might be getting "TOSYLAMIDE / FORMALDEHYDE RESIN" mixed up with Formaldehyde. Products can be considered three free if they include Formaldehyde RESIN, they cannot be considered 4 or 5 free though:

      https://www.jessesgirlcosmetics.com/faq/product-info

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  7. So these don't remove as easily as other textured polishes? The OPI Liquid Sand come off super easy, so just wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw these last week at Rite Aid. They are very vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen these in my area for a while now but only at Rite Aid's. I bought the blue and purple ones to try. I'm not really a texture fan, but as you see the swatches above these are gorgeous. I have been contemplating getting the rest. From these swatches I think I will be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know what it is, but I cannot get into the texture craze. When the Pixie Dusts first came out (to my knowledge, the first mainstream polishes to hit the market), I was not interested, and still wasn't interested when the other lines came out with their version. I finally gave in and bought a Nicole by OPI gumdrops shade, left it on un-topcoated for a day, and then topcoated the crap out of it. I just HATE the feeling on my nails! Have you tried any of them with topcoat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience, after a day or two, you can barely feel the texture. The first day after application is the strongest textured day.

      Delete
  11. I'm not one for textured polishes but these actually look pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving the gold and silver. I only own one texture nail polish, and that's the Julie G's original gum drops in teal. Gonna have to pick these Holiday ones up if I see them in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, these are beautiful! Perfect for the holidays too. I think I may need that gold!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not a big texture fan either but I usually will get one from a collection like this just for a change of pace. Now the big question is which one???????? Thanks for the great review and photos G.! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got the green, purple and silver and now want the rest, haha! Your swatches totally changed my mind as to how much better they look IRL, the gold especially! I still wonder how close the blue is to Zoya Liberty though, which I already have...

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW WOW WOW G! I'm totally loving these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I grabbed up three of these at Rite Aid today. I had to have the blue, purple and red/pink one. If I don't use them, I can always give them away or sell them on ebay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I had a rite aid here so I could buy it locally! I want the green, blue and purple!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig